I truely can't make up my mind: PR44 or PR60

mastrcruse

I always build to the possibly with my vehicles. Is it possible that I go 40's...yes...but maybe 5-7 years down the road. Is it more likely I go 37's in less than 3 years...yes.

So my first thought is save up and get the PR60. 8x6.5, standard shafts, 1350, arb, 4.88 extra caster. $8k shipped

Other possibility is PR44 unlimited, ARB, full circle clip chromoly, 4.88, extra caster, 1350. More like 4k shipped (haven't received official quote)

What I want to accomplish...not have to worry about things breaking as much as I do now with my Dana 30. I want to be able to use the skinny pedal more and have the peace of mind that I'll be pretty much okay.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Can I afford both, yes, one is easier to swallow while buying a new house ect. Any additional expenses I'm not thinking of (steering ect.)? Any option I'm not thinking of with the PR44 that would make it even better (don't want RCV's..want fuse to be more external)

Would have to upgrade wheels and get adapters for rears (8.0x6.5 to 5x5)
ATX Slabs- 2000
Tires--1500
(Minus wheels and tires I have)
Extra $2000

Maybe it's better for me to ARB and regear the stock 44 rear, do a very stout PR44 up front, and rear bumper for now and then down the road upgrade it all when it becomes a non-daily. If that's the case do I run 4.56 or 4.88 on a 3.6l auto (heavy side) with the possibilty I either stay with 35's or go to 37's?

Last edited:
I always build to the possibly with my vehicles. Is it possible that I go 40's...yes...but maybe 5-7 years down the road. Is it more likely I go 37's in less than 3 years...yes.

So my first thought is save up and get the PR60. 8x6.5, standard shafts, 1350, arb, 4.88 extra caster. $8k shipped

Other possibility is PR44 unlimited, ARB, full circle clip chromoly, 4.88, extra caster, 1350. More like 4k shipped (haven't received official quote)

What I want to accomplish...not have to worry about things breaking as much as I do now with my Dana 30. I want to be able to use the skinny pedal more and have the peace of mind that I'll be pretty much okay.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Can I afford both, yes, one is easier to swallow while buying a new house ect. Any additional expenses I'm not thinking of? Any option I'm not thinking of with the PR44 that would make it even better (don't want RCV's..want fuse to be more external)

ATX Slabs- 2000
Tires--1500
(Minus wheels and tires I have)
Extra $2000

Spend the money once. After having a PR44, PR60's and PR80 it's cheaper to spend it once. You can run 37's with a 60 and 40's with a 60.

MarkW13

I'm having the same struggle and feel like the 60 is a better way to go, but my bank account is going to hate the idea.

MTG

Caught the Bug
So 7 years down the road you may go 40s?

PR44 front and stock rear. Worry about whether you need 60s in 3/4 of a decade.

Oh my bad, he should get a 60/80 then. :yep:

:crazyeyes:

Why would he need 60/80? He could do the 60 housing or a hybrid now and upgrade later if 40's are in his future. I'm just saying I've bought a PR44 and it lasted all of 1 year before the PR60 was ordered. If you can save a little money and go 60 housing why not just spend that $ once. Or you can buy the pr44 run it for 5+ years and sell it for "market value" and spend more $ for the new greatest 60 or whathaveyou then. My opinion is spend the money once if possible. Doesn't have to be 12k all the bells and whistles out of the gate.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Why would he need 60/80? He could do the 60 housing or a hybrid now and upgrade later if 40's are in his future. I'm just saying I've bought a PR44 and it lasted all of 1 year before the PR60 was ordered. If you can save a little money and go 60 housing why not just spend that $ once. Or you can buy the pr44 run it for 5+ years and sell it for "market value" and spend more $ for the new greatest 60 or whathaveyou then. My opinion is spend the money once if possible. Doesn't have to be 12k all the bells and whistles out of the gate.

But if he's just going to wheel the Starbucks drive through with 40's then he'll be fine with a PR44.

jkur77

I too can't make up my mind about PR 44 or PR 60, after reading this my mind is made up. I will be going with the PR 60. i'm going to be running the stock 44 in the rear. Who makes an adapter from 8x6.5 to 5x5?

I too can't make up my mind about PR 44 or PR 60, after reading this my mind is made up. I will be going with the PR 60. i'm going to be running the stock 44 in the rear. Who makes an adapter from 8x6.5 to 5x5?

You can order the PR60 with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. If you are planning on going to 8x6.5 it is best to both axles at once so you only have to have one set of wheels.

edit: then you can buy Strizzy's Slabs he is selling.

thardy

Banned
Just out of curiosity, does the decision of PR44 or PR60 differ when it comes down to the rig being a 2dr versus a 4dr? For instance, if you're going to be running 37's on a 2dr, is a PR60 overkill? Obviously there's a since of security with having the PR60 over the PR44, but does the weight difference between 2dr and 4dr make a difference in axle choice?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just something I've wondered.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can order the PR60 with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. If you are planning on going to 8x6.5 it is best to both axles at once so you only have to have one set of wheels.

edit: then you can buy Strizzy's Slabs he is selling.

You only need one set of wheels if you buy one axle anyway. You would need to run adapters.

Just out of curiosity, does the decision of PR44 or PR60 differ when it comes down to the rig being a 2dr versus a 4dr? For instance, if you're going to be running 37's on a 2dr, is a PR60 overkill? Obviously there's a since of security with having the PR60 over the PR44, but does the weight difference between 2dr and 4dr make a difference in axle choice?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, just something I've wondered.

You don't need a PR60 with 37's on a 4 door or a two door.

Top Bottom