Strange Noise from Transfer case?

compton94

OK, so I got into my jeep yesterday and started it up, and a sound, at the time I thought was a belt slip, but it alerted me enough to shut it off. I checked the belts, oil levels and coolant levels. all look to be fine. I started it back up and no sound. When I got to my destination, I ran my errands and came back, it started up again with the same noise. I left it running and checked under the hood and it sounds like it is coming from under the engine area. when accelerating, it continues to make the noise. could it be my transfer case or transmission?

I will try to get a recording of the sound uploaded today. Took a different car to work today.

thanks
Matt

Kavanji

Lol, did you make sure to check the tail light fluid as well lol :-D

hahaha ok you guys are to sharp for me:D

i have a weird sound when i start my jeep. sounds like a rattle that comes in at a certain rpm as the engine slows down to normal idle after cold startup.
i ignored it for a while as it would only do this the first time i start the jeep up cold.
then it started throwing some p0430 code, cat inefficient.
this gave me the idea to listen to the cats on startup. and sure enough the innards of one of the cats has come loose and makes a racket.

this should still be covered in the USA under guarantee as all emission equipment has a 8 year guarantee i believe.
check with your dealer on this one :)

Top Bottom