Help me understand hydro options

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I recently made the jump to 37" tires on my '14 JKUR and am trying to understand all of the hydro assist options. I spoke with PSC and they recommend the kit where I send in my steering gear and they send it back along with a new pump, ram, hoses, reservoir, etc. Cost for this kit is roughly $1400. I have also seen where folks have just sent their gear to PSC and run the factory pump and reservoir. To add a bit more confusion, there are the two different ram sizes 1.5 and 1.75.

I'd really like to stick with a PSC setup. I have seen some of the other options including the DIY setup, and I feel this is an area not worth cutting any corners.

At the end of the day, on road, highway handling characteristics are really important as my Jeep is a daily driver and will see about 10k a year on the highway.

My main reason for the hydro is I would really like to take the stress off the steering gear gear/sector shaft which should remove a little worry when playing off road.

Lastly, can I stick with my factory tie rod or would it be best to change it out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated along with personal experiences too! :)

Thanks!

ERAU

ttfhell

I recently made the jump to 37" tires on my '14 JKUR and am trying to understand all of the hydro assist options. I spoke with PSC and they recommend the kit where I send in my steering gear and they send it back along with a new pump, ram, hoses, reservoir, etc. Cost for this kit is roughly $1400. I have also seen where folks have just sent their gear to PSC and run the factory pump and reservoir. To add a bit more confusion, there are the two different ram sizes 1.5 and 1.75.

I'd really like to stick with a PSC setup. I have seen some of the other options including the DIY setup, and I feel this is an area not worth cutting any corners.

At the end of the day, on road, highway handling characteristics are really important as my Jeep is a daily driver and will see about 10k a year on the highway.

My main reason for the hydro is I would really like to take the stress off the steering gear gear/sector shaft which should remove a little worry when playing off road.

Lastly, can I stick with my factory tie rod or would it be best to change it out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated along with personal experiences too! :)

Thanks!

ERAU

How many sector shafts have you seen break in a newer JK?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
How many sector shafts have you seen break in a newer JK?

Personally, none. Seem to hear quite a bit about the steering gear being a weak point on the JKs. If hydro is really overkill, I'd be more than happy to defer those funds to other Jeep projects! :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

With 37's, I would get a ram assist just to help make your Jeep easier to maneuver around town but, that's just me.

Eh, there's definitely that but really, the help in steering should be the main reason why you do this.

If it were me, I would just run what you got until it's so bent that you need to replace it. At least, that's what I've always done and by then, I would recommend a Currie tie-rod.

You really don't need to do that unless you're running very low tire pressure on very technical terrain.

Flash

"Need"? I don't think you really even "need" it then but it sure as hell makes like easier. Same could be said for driving around in tight parking lots.

Irishcarl is that you?

:cheesy:

What if I just want to make parking easier at the mall?

That's what I'm thinking :yup:

SFNick

Just recently I installed a hydro assist. I have a PSC steering gear box, 1.5 ram, with stock pump, & 37's. I can finally move my tires while sitting still. At highway speeds it's extremely firm, maybe too firm. I'm installing a PSC pump & reservoir to get better responsiveness but might upgrade to 1.75 ram to get that extra power offroad. If I could do it over I would've just bought the kit from PSC. Live & learn.

CJW

I understand that it makes life way easier when steering in the rocks but I also thought it helped protect your steering box just as much. Not true??

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I have my stock steering box in my garage if you don't want to remove yours and send it in. It is in perfect shape.

My current plan is Hydro in the next 3 months or so.

I'll shoot you a message when/if the time comes and if it's still on your shelf, let me know.

Thanks!

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
With 37's, I would get a ram assist just to help make your Jeep easier to maneuver around town but, that's just me.

Eh, there's definitely that but really, the help in steering should be the main reason why you do this.

If it were me, I would just run what you got until it's so bent that you need to replace it. At least, that's what I've always done and by then, I would recommend a Currie tie-rod.

"Need"? I don't think you really even "need" it then but it sure as hell makes like easier. Same could be said for driving around in tight parking lots.

:cheesy:

That's what I'm thinking :yup:

Thanks Eddie for the info. I've read of many instances, two of which I believe were yours, of snapping the sector shaft. I figure hydro is a bit pricey, but breaking down in the middle of a trail can add up real quick too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie for the info. I've read of many instances, two of which I believe were yours, of snapping the sector shaft. I figure hydro is a bit pricey, but breaking down in the middle of a trail can add up real quick too.

In all fairness, a spare sector shaft costs only $150 - way cheaper than hydro assist. Now, changing it out on the trail can be a real pain in the ass and that's something money can't buy. Again, I would highly recommend a ram assist with 37's but concern over a sector shaft break is just one of them - not the main reason.

TNuggs13

In all fairness, a spare sector shaft costs only $150 - way cheaper than hydro assist. Now, changing it out on the trail can be a real pain in the ass and that's something money can't buy. Again, I would highly recommend a ram assist with 37's but concern over a sector shaft break is just one of them - not the main reason.

Newbie question but what is the difference between the hydro assists vs. the ram assist? Also what's the price difference? I have 37's and don't really notice it being hard to turn.

Top Bottom