EVO 1/4LB question

A_R_A_W_N

My new EVO 1/4 pounder should be here tomorrow and the EVAP relocation kit should be in on sat. I figure instructions will come for the bumper and the EVAP relocation, but are they a easy install? is it possible to do a solo install or should i try and get another set of hands to assist with the install? I just want to be well prepared for the install so it hopefully will be a quick swap. Thanks :beer:

My new EVO 1/4 pounder should be here tomorrow and the EVAP relocation kit should be in on sat. I figure instructions will come for the bumper and the EVAP relocation, but are they a easy install? is it possible to do a solo install or should i try and get another set of hands to assist with the install? I just want to be well prepared for the install so it hopefully will be a quick swap. Thanks :beer:

I did mine by myself and it wasn't too bad. A extra set of hands are always helpful though. Did you get the stinger as well?

A_R_A_W_N

Not yet, the wife requested I held off on that for now, but she wants it as well. I'm the sole income currently so its a slower process. Hopefully she finishes her schooling and gets a job soon so I can buy more parts. Eventually she wants a JK as well lol

Not yet, the wife requested I held off on that for now, but she wants it as well. I'm the sole income currently so its a slower process. Hopefully she finishes her schooling and gets a job soon so I can buy more parts. Eventually she wants a JK as well lol

Roger that! If so I was going to say make sure you have a good drill bit to drill the holes. the bumper is a piece of cake - just heavy. You just need a good cutting device to cut the crash bar, if you are using a sawzall I would recommend getting some long new blades.

K.D.C.H

Congrats on the purchase. Just got my stinger in today. I ordered the jumper but it came raw by mistake. The new one should be here Monday and then it's go time.

Post up pictures, I'd love to see it all installed.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424401348.998682.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug

Easy to do by yourself. Tip: Install 4 of the bolts facing backwards (i.e. toward the front) so as to have something to rest the bumper on, install the next 4 and then take out the 4 facing backwards and reverse them. Hopefully that makes sense. :thumb:

CJW

Also, if your planning on getting the stinger later on do some extra trimming now so you don't have to take the bumper off later. You'll need to trim a little bit off the upper outside corners of the bumper mounting plates on the frame horns. The stinger mounting bolts hit it there if left as is.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Easy to do by yourself. Tip: Install 4 of the bolts facing backwards (i.e. toward the front) so as to have something to rest the bumper on, install the next 4 and then take out the 4 facing backwards and reverse them. Hopefully that makes sense. :thumb:

What about the front two corner bolts you are missing? How do you install these ?

A_R_A_W_N

Lol i feel like we took a hard left turn lol all good though, the wife told me the bumper is at the house but the evap wont be in till monday now... guess my weekend project will be put on hold. But i wanna get my hands on my gift from brown santa

StrizzyChris

Lol! I don't and it's been two years. No ambition to fix it.

That makes three of us! :dont_tell:

attachment.php

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
There. Happy now?

View attachment 125965

The real question is why EVO didn't supply bolts like these so they match the ones right below.

View attachment 125966

tensile strength of socket cap screws are significantly lower then that of he head bolts because of the hardening process necessary to keep the "Allen key seat" from deforming. Think of it like the difference between a plastic cup, and a glass one, the glass is thinner and hard (similar to the head on the socket cap screw), but the first time you drop it, it's likely to break. Where the plastic cup is thicker and softer (hex head bolt), but when you drop it, it is soft enough to deform and absorb the impact and likely bounce off the impact. This is similar to the elastic limit properties of the respective heat treatment process used to produce the different hardware

Bumpers look awesome!

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
tensile strength of socket cap screws are significantly lower then that of he head bolts because of the hardening process necessary to keep the "Allen key seat" from deforming. Think of it like the difference between a plastic cup, and a glass but, the glass is thin and hard, but the first time you drop it, it's likely to break. Where the plastic cup is thicker and softer, when you drop it, it is soft enough to deform and absorb the impact and likely bounce off the impact. This is similar to the elastic limit properties of the respective heat treatment process used to produce the different hardware.

Bumpers look awesome!

So why are they okay for the d ring mounts?

Last edited:

JKbrick

tensile strength of socket cap screws are significantly lower then that of he head bolts because of the hardening process necessary to keep the "Allen key seat" from deforming. Think of it like the difference between a plastic cup, and a glass one, the glass is thinner and hard (similar to the head on the socket cap screw), but the first time you drop it, it's likely to break. Where the plastic cup is thicker and softer (hex head bolt), but when you drop it, it is soft enough to deform and absorb the impact and likely bounce off the impact. This is similar to the elastic limit properties of the respective heat treatment process used to produce the different hardware

Bumpers look awesome!

So should the Allen head bolts for the bumper be replaced? Mine has them holding on d ring mounts

Top Bottom