2015 WAYALIFE Newbie Run / Camping Trip : March 7-8

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

If you live in the SoCal area, are new to the sport of off-roading and/or would just like to learn how to use your Jeep on the trail, we will be planning a newbie run out in the Mojave Desert on, March 7, 2015 and we would love to have you join us. Please note that this run IS FOR NEWBIES and we would be grateful if you DID NOT sign up unless you are a newbie or will be having a newbie drive your Jeep. As much as we would love to have everyone come, we will need to limit the amount of people who can attend and we would prefer that a majority of them be newbies. If you are an experienced Jeeper and would like to help out, we'd be grateful if you could let us know but please note that we will only be taking on as many helpers as is needed for the run. As the title states, we will be camping after the run but it is OPTIONAL and not required. I would however encourage you to join us as it's a great way to get to know people better and I think you'll have a great time.

Minimum Requirements
While the trail we will be running is easy enough for any stock JK to make it through, we will be requiring that all participants have at least front and rear tow points. We strongly encourage you have rocker guards and CB radio as well but, for all intents and purposes, they will not be required.

Helper Requirements
If you are coming to help out, you will be REQUIRED to have recovery gear, tools, CB radio and an air compressor all ready to use. You will be REQUIRED to get your hands dirty and assist newbies with things like airing down, disconnecting and spotting.

Itinerary
Due to the large group we normally have for a run like this and the fact that people will be coming from multiple directions, we will be skipping our traditional breakfast meet-up and will just go straight to the Last Chance Canyon trail head and meet there at 8:30 AM. For those of you coming from the L.A. area, simply head north on I-5, take Highway 14 north and then just before you get to Red Rock State Park, make a right turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd. From there, go exactly 6 miles and turn left onto the gravel road. While the trail is marked, it is quite hard to see from the road so you might want to set your GPS if you have one or reset your odometer once you've made your turn onto Redrock Randsburg Rd. Below is a Google map showing the location of the trailhead:

map.jpg

Last Chance Canyon Trailhead
N35 21.735 W117 53.904

So you all know, some of the things we will cover on this trip include instructions on the following topics:

1. Airing down your tires
2. Disconnecting your sway bar links
3. How to use your transfer case
4. How to use your lockers (if applicable)
5. How to pick a good line
6. Throttle control
7. General off-roading safety, tips and tricks

It's a little too far out to know what the weather will be like but, for this time of year, you should come prepared to see temps temps in the high 80's and lows in the low 40's so please come dressed accordingly, bring additional layers just in case, bring a hat and bring sun screen. Due to the warm weather we have been seeing, snakes may be out now so boots are a good idea to wear and if you are bringing kids, please make sure they are aware of the dangers of them as well. Of course, this is the desert and so WATER is critial. The general rule of thumb is a gallon per person per day and in my book, you know you have enough water when you come home with extra left over. If you are just coming for the day, please make sure to pack a lunch as well as some extra snacks just in case the day goes longer than expected. If you plan to camp with us, please provide for your own dinner and breakfast for the next day. Fires are allowed so be sure to bring some wood. There are NO trash facilities so be prepared to pack out what you pack in and there are NO toilets on the trail so please be prepared to BURY your toilet paper.

Once again, I need to remind everyone that this is a NEWBIE run so we will be going slow, we will be making a lot of stops to take in the scenery/take photos and we will be spending time hanging out just to hang out. If you are looking for a hard core run that you can blow through, this will not be the run for you. Also, I would like to remind everyone that while a cold one is something that a lot of us enjoy at the end of the day, drinking alcohol while on the trail is NOT something we encourage. Also, most of the trail that we will be wheeling on is located within the boundries of a State Park and we will be asking you to please stay ON the trail.

If you'll be joining us, please post up on this thread to let us know and please indicate if you will be camping with us as well. Also, let me know if you have any questions by posting them here on this thread.

OFFICIAL WHO'S GOING LIST:
1. Jeephooligan (camping)
2. RubiX1
3. Mrs. Irish JK
4. Lar
5. mendigo
6. hoop (camping)
7. Clem319's brother-n-law (camping)
8. K.D.C.H. (camping)
9. jesse3638's girlfriend (camping)
10. IBeHeWhoIsJoshua's mom
11. Limpinlobster (camping)
12. BlueThunder & dickpadgett (camping)
13. Tree squirrel
14. nelson (camping)
15. DMF (camping)
16. Sola_Christos
18. Mrs. BitBucket

Maybe:
1. Sunshine

HELPERS:
CarsonCindy & wayoflife
JeepFan & GemHunter
Moochie
OverlanderJK
Honey Badger

I look forward to seeing you on the trail. :cool:

jeff_in_rc

Eddie I would like to offer my help if it is needed as I live nearby in Ridgecrest, just say the word. :D
Depending on my schedule I could camp out as well, where will you be camping?

Jeff

Would love to go on this run.
Completely stock JK hopefully with my wife driving it this time.

More than likely won't stick around to camp though. I like taking my kid and I'm not quite ready for an overnighter with her yet.

JAGS

Hooked
Think I would still qualify, but I'm going to let my wife (Amy - Mrs. JAGS) get behind the wheel on this one and have some fun. She's only driven a few times on dirt, but pretty sure be she'll show me up on this trip. :yup::thumb:

Lar

Would love to go newbie here :)

Hi my name is Larry me and my son would love to go we wont be camping unfortunately thanks :)

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
dang i would of absolutely loved to go on this! i need to start learning the ropes. unfortunately i already have plans over this weekend that have been paid for :( hope everyone has a good time!

Rmorin222

Bumbed I wont be able to make the trip out on this one. Have some work obligations. The better half was already to break some of my stuff too.

xkid

Eddie, you have done some pretty tough trails. To do something like this for the rookies is awesome.

HoosierWolf

This is terrific! Not able to go personally which sucks but for those can I'm really excited.

I will be looking forward to pics and updates. :clap2:

Top Bottom