Transmission whining?

Poker Jones

I have a '14 JKU automatic with 7000 miles and my transmission is making this loud whining noise. All I have done is a couple high water crossings and beat up the under carriage a bit on the rocks. I have changed the trans fluid/filter and the front and rear gear oil, now I am out of ideas what to try next.

Last edited:

LeighP

Hate to point out the obvious...its a 14 with 7000 miles, throw it at the dealer and say "fix it"......

Rancho

Caught the Bug
How's the shift points? Mine were bad.
Mine just went in for "whining" poor shifting.
13 with 11K.

Poker Jones

Are you positive its the transmission and not an idler pulley/tensioner/alternator bearing?

You are the winner. Turns out the idler pulleys were full of mud. Blasted them with air/silicone spray and then repacked them with grease. Quiet as can be. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC01170.jpg
    DSC01170.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 119

BumblebeeZA

You are the winner. Turns out the idler pulleys were full of mud. Blasted them with air/silicone spray and then repacked them with grease. Quiet as can be. Thanks for the help.

You beat me too it :eek:
I also wanted to say idler pulley, mine was the same and I also thought it was the transmission, cleaned out the pulley bearing and whine is gone.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
For me the whine was the fact that my steering assist and the steering pump was sad that there was no/low fluid.
I have mine back and all is good, at around town speeds and highway speeds.

jpone

Im getting a whine/vibration noise from my 2012 A/T at around 4k rpms. Sounds like it is coming from passenger side.

Any experience with this would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom