Bump stops

jman_12

I've heard from a few fellow jeepers that 3 inch bump stops ride really rough with 2.5 inches of lift. Anybody have experience with this?

Im running 3" teraflex bumps with 2.5" of lift. Not sure what you mean by your question but my jk rides just fine. Even off road.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Im running 3" teraflex bumps with 2.5" of lift. Not sure what you mean by your question but my jk rides just fine. Even off road.

Depends on how much lift a person got with their coils. But if someone did get 2.5" of lift and put 3" bump stops, they've basically lost a ½" of up travel.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
This is similar to how rockkrawler recommends 3" bump stops with their 1½" coils. Doesn't make sense to me.
I know it's to run longer shocks, but doesn't seem worth it to give up that much up travel

Depends on how much lift a person got with their coils. But if someone did get 2.5" of lift and put 3" bump stops, they've basically lost a ½" of up travel.

Yup very true. And mines probably similar to what you said. I only went a little long on the bumps in prep for a taller tire and new lift components. Even still, it does not ride "rough". Maybe the person the OP is referring to has a sagging lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Yup, that about sums it up. The fact of the matter is, MOST 2.5" lifts yield way more lift than 2.5". While the rule of thumb IS to install about as much bump stop extension as you have lift, installing "more" bump stop than you have "actual" lift would not be a good thing. :crazyeyes:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
LOL!! Yup, that about sums it up. The fact of the matter is, MOST 2.5" lifts yield way more lift than 2.5". While the rule of thumb IS to install about as much bump stop extension as you have lift, installing "more" bump stop than you have "actual" lift would not be a good thing. :crazyeyes:

Kinda funny, companies marketed the 2.5" lift to avoid the 3" and I need a new driveshaft issue. I would bet most are 3" coils with a new label on them..

Kinda funny, companies marketed the 2.5" lift to avoid the 3" and I need a new driveshaft issue. I would bet most are 3" coils with a new label on them..

Ha id say your right. I was surprised that my 2.5" is actually exactly 2.5" of lift on my jku

Top Bottom