Left pull

Sporadic

Hey folks,

My 13 JK unlimited started pulling left not so long ago. I can't recall hitting any potholes or such that would have knocked the alignment off or bent front end components but I guess anything is possible. I did add some front 3/4" coil spacers to the existing 2.5" AEV lift not too long ago. No adjustments were made after the spacers.

What are the most probable causes that I should check when diagnosing? I,m sure I've left plenty of details out so feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks in advance.

Ty

Tigrcky

Check tire pressure (all of them), wheel bearings, loose suspension components. Also did you rotate your tires recently?

jeeeep

Hooked
did you loosen the control arms and retorque while on the ground?

did you change the stock steering stabilizer?

Sporadic

Check tire pressure (all of them), wheel bearings, loose suspension components. Also did you rotate your tires recently?

Thanks for responding Tigrcky. Tire pressure is good and I have not rotated the tires recently. My rig has less than 19k miles so I'm hoping wheel bearings are ok. I'll be going over the suspension today.

Last edited:

Sporadic

did you loosen the control arms and retorque while on the ground?

did you change the stock steering stabilizer?

jeeeep, no I did not "reset" the control arms. I'll definitely do that - thanks!

The stock steering stabilizer was changed early on in my build but nothing has been done to it since.

JeepFan

Hooked
All good suggestions above. You should be able to rule out tires by swapping the fronts left to right and road test.

Sporadic

This ^^^

It will not happen overnight but can. Typically becomes more pronounced after the rubber starts to wear down a bit.

If I find that this is the problem is there anything I can do to alleviate or lessen the pull (rotate more frequently) or do I have this to look forward to for the life of the tire?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I find that this is the problem is there anything I can do to alleviate or lessen the pull (rotate more frequently) or do I have this to look forward to for the life of the tire?

Pretty much all big off road tires have some kind of radial pull in one direction or the other. I personally like ones that pull to the left especially in areas where you have big crowns in the road. You can run less air in one tire and that can help a bit but for the most part, you kind of just get used to it. Don't buy in to the whole cross caster BS that some internet gurus will try to push off. On a solid axle, it's not something you can really do or, at least not effectively and what it will do is ruin your control arm bushings and in some case, do worse things.

Sporadic

Pretty much all big off road tires have some kind of radial pull in one direction or the other. I personally like ones that pull to the left especially in areas where you have big crowns in the road. You can run less air in one tire and that can help a bit but for the most part, you kind of just get used to it. Don't buy in to the whole cross caster BS that some internet gurus will try to push off. On a solid axle, it's not something you can really do or, at least not effectively and what it will do is ruin your control arm bushings and in some case, do worse things.

Got it! Thanks Eddie.

Is it just me or does it look like the spacer isn't sitting squarely on the coil spring (left side)? Could this cause a pull?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424619549.339755.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That looks fine as the last wind of the coil appears to just be tapered in. This would have no effect on your pull anyway. What doesn't look fine is the fact that the first 3 winds of your coil are running solid (they are touching metal to metal). This would mean that you are just running on the firm side of the coil. Separate issue but something you should be aware of.

JKWrang

Yup - my tires pull too a bit. Drives the wife nuts - she'll be going straight and the wheel will jerk a bit while the messed up winter roads and my tires fight it out lol jeep drives fine though

Sporadic

That looks fine as the last wind of the coil appears to just be tapered in. This would have no effect on your pull anyway. What doesn't look fine is the fact that the first 3 winds of your coil are running solid (they are touching metal to metal). This would mean that you are just running on the firm side of the coil. Separate issue but something you should be aware of.

Time to go plush or do I need longer shocks?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Time to go plush or do I need longer shocks?

Longer shocks won't help you here and technically, you're coils are still holding you up fine. You just aren't benefiting from the softer rate side of them anymore. I like Plush ride coils but if you're loading up your Jeep with so much gear that your AEV coils are partially running solid, you may find that the Plush's will sag a bit. When I was running them, I had to run the rears with coil spacers to help make up the difference but it was worth it. To me anyway.

Sporadic

Longer shocks won't help you here and technically, you're coils are still holding you up fine. You just aren't benefiting from the softer rate side of them anymore. I like Plush ride coils but if you're loading up your Jeep with so much gear that your AEV coils are partially running solid, you may find that the Plush's will sag a bit. When I was running them, I had to run the rears with coil spacers to help make up the difference but it was worth it. To me anyway.

Thanks for the advice.

I've only added the 1/4 pounder bumper with stinger and will be adding another 87 lbs very soon with the addition of a winch. Will I need to add a taller coil spacer than the 3/4" I'm running now?

Without re-doing my entire suspension, what's the best solution to getting a better ride and not lose any more ride height?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the advice.

I've only added the 1/4 pounder bumper with stinger and will be adding another 87 lbs very soon with the addition of a winch. Will I need to add a taller coil spacer than the 3/4" I'm running now?

Without re-doing my entire suspension, what's the best solution to getting a better ride and not lose any more ride height?

Really? That's it? Well, with that, you should be fine with the Plush coils and you may not even need the spacers.

Top Bottom