What caused this?

Ah2014jk

Ok so I am stumped and hope someone knows what I did wrong. Brand new Poison Spyder bumpers. Cleaned down with wax and grease remover. Two coats of self etching primer. Scuffed down again. Two coats of matte black. Scuffed down again. 4 coats of duplicolour bed armour. Let dry for a week.... And it just peeled off in sheets like plasti dip. Now I have to send out to be sand blasted but what the hell happened in the first place? I still have the rear and Rock rails to do but don't want the same result.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424554907.982798.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did you paint recently? What was the temperature? Just a guess I have no idea.

Ah2014jk

It may be temp I don't know. It was probably 58-65 in a heated garage. I have don't lots of painting in my life and have never seen this

RMC2

Caught the Bug
If the metal was cold is all I can think. You may have had a residue from the cleaner as well. Not sure if that is good for paint prep.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
After you used the degreaser, did you rough up the surface (~200 grit sand paper) before you applied the self etching primer? Even though it's self etching it still needs something to help it bond to. Just my suggestion.

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok so I am stumped and hope someone knows what I did wrong. Brand new Poison Spyder bumpers. Cleaned down with wax and grease remover. Two coats of self etching primer. Scuffed down again. Two coats of matte black. Scuffed down again. 4 coats of duplicolour bed armour. Let dry for a week.... And it just peeled off in sheets like plasti dip. Now I have to send out to be sand blasted but what the hell happened in the first place? I still have the rear and Rock rails to do but don't want the same result.
View attachment 126023

The funny part ( or rather weird ) is that the primer didn't even stick at all

what brand of wax and grease remover did you use? some leave an oil residue, acetone is your best bet to get all the residue and steel clean.

did you scuff before the self etching primer?i like to use 400 grit wet sandpaper, let it dry, then wipe with acetone again and as a final step I go over it with some tack cloth to remove any shavings

how long did you let the primer dry before top-coating it?

was the metal cold to the touch or feel colder than the room temperature?

Brankz

I see that the metal is super shiny, you have to sanded with 1500 than primed with this
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424571886.558780.jpg
Let it dry for like 15 minutes than paint the bumper with 3 to 4 light coats 👍

Trust me I know my stuff 😜

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I see that the metal is super shiny, you have to sanded with 1500 than primed with this

Trust me I know my stuff 😜

I agree with the self etching primer, but 1500 is way too fine. You need to give the primer and then paint something to bite into.

I would recommend sanding the bare metal with 120grit then the primer with nothing finer than 220.

I just painted my EVO Sliders using the above mentioned method and they came out great.

Brankz

I agree with the self etching primer, but 1500 is way too fine. You need to give the primer and then paint something to bite into.

I would recommend sanding the bare metal with 120grit then the primer with nothing finer than 220.

I just painted my EVO Sliders using the above mentioned method and they came out great.

Yup or that, when i painted my BFH trail stinger I use 1500 just to take any oil or stuff like that than clean it with acetone

toxicwaste29

Mine is doing the same thing. Cleaned it with acetone and two or three coats self etching then two or three coats of rustoleum flat black. It is peeling off in sheets also but will have to wait to be repainted after winter. The only thing I didnt do was sand it which I figured was the issue.

I wonder if PSC uses a chromate treatment to prevent white rust - I know that can be problematic when painting. This is a treatment that is used on Galvanized materials so probably not it but it does seem like the metal had something on it.

JKbrick

Did you have any fresh or open silicone around? I've heard even fumes from silicone will screw up paint

dchew

Caught the Bug
^^^ I was going to ask about silicone too. I used to work for a company that supplied water treatment equipment to the E-coat lines for GM, Honda, Toyota. They would make us sign in blood there was no silicone in any valve seals, o-ring grease, or anywhere in our wive's bodies.

Dave

Top Bottom