TPMS and the Procal?

rich67

Caught the Bug
So I have had a real hard time getting a straight answer on this. I want to be able to air down without any of those pesky dash lights blinding me. Does the AEV Procal offer the ability to set the TPMS to zero or to 15psi so I can drop air pressure without having to deal with the warning lights? I see a lot of people saying it doesn't work, that AEV isn't giving them a definitive answer or tech help, that they still get the warning light, etc. etc. Is there another tuner out there that offers this and also will allow me to adjust the speedometer when I get larger tires? Thanks in advance.:rock:

3TV

Yes, you can turn off TPMS with a Procal. I turned mine off in my 2014 JK before I changed tires and wheels. The new tires and wheels don't even have TPMS sensors in them, and I haven't heard a peep from the TPMS system.

JDDK

Got mine Fri, turned off tpms and set speedo for 35s. Should have done it sooner. Doh!!

StrizzyChris

The lowest threshold you can set it is 22 PSI - most of us just turn it off

This^^^ On the newer JKs (2013+ I believe), you are not able to set the threshold down to 5psi or anything low like that. You can only go down to low 20's PSI with the procal on the TPMS. The problem is that the onboard computer of the JK alerts you when you are within a certain range of that threshold(6 or 8psi I believe). Well...I run 28psi on the road with my 37" Nittos and since it is so close to that threshold it sets off the TPMS alert. Just like branman said, I just shut it off to keep my light from going of and driving me nuts.

rich67

Caught the Bug
Okay, I had heard the info about the 2013s...so I can set it to zero, and I should be good to go-that's what I would rather do anyhow.

aldaman

Yes, you can turn off TPMS with a Procal. I turned mine off in my 2014 JK before I changed tires and wheels. The new tires and wheels don't even have TPMS sensors in them, and I haven't heard a peep from the TPMS system.

Yup, did the same thing on my 2012....no chimes and (_!_).....PROCAL worked....

Tree Frog

Ugh but one little issue.
I have got a 2013 JKUR built in May of that year.
When I switched over to bigger tires I did not want to even mess with the TMPS. I wanted the ability to air down, to run lower pressures and not have to swap the TPMS sensors out of the Rubicon rims.

So I got the Procal. At first it worked great. Turned off the TPMS by setting it to the "Disabling" mode. Never saw a light or a warning or anything. Perfect.

Then went in and had some warranty work done and had my back up camera enabled. They had to upload the latest program (whatever its called) from Chrysler.
When I got the Jeep back it was as if I had never used the Procal. My shift points were off, my daytime running lights were not on and the TPMS was going off.
Brought her home and reloaded everything with the Procal.
Now no matter what, every time I get in and start it up the TPMS display comes on in my EVIC and I have to press Menu once on the steering wheel to get back to temp. and compass heading. Never get a chime or any other lights, just the display showing all four tires at 0 and the message to "Check TPMS"

Keep meaning to call AEV but too busy. (or lazy)

Side note; If you do exactly what they tell you and enter the date right the Procal will set your speedo correction to within .01-.03 of actual MPH. Checked with a Garmin GPS.
(Not the one in the dash)
I think the difference is a few things one being tire pressure as that changes the actual tire height, the other being that it is very hard to tell exactly if you are going 70 or 70.01 on our gauges.

JohnnyD

I have a 14 rubi 2 door and flashpaq.....the tpms is same...no warnings just 4 zeros, don't think it's procal or flashpaq fault...

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Just a though TF,

Have you tried using the Procal to reset to factory then start over, one setting at a time?

I had my 2014 setup with the Procal for a few items including TPMS. I went to the dealer to have them flash the code for the backup camera. When they did this, it wiped all Procal programing. When I got home, I started with a reset to stock using the Procal (even though it was technically already there). I then proceeded to reflash for tire size and TPMS. All has been great since.

Might not make a difference, just thinking a bit outside the box...

Good luck!

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I was thinking the same. Reset to stock and then reprogram. I have no experience though.

Actually I have a question. When you turn off the tpms do get zero's for each tire (13 w EVIC) or just no light/ding?

Wardell

Have you tried using the Procal to reset to factory then start over, one setting at a time?

That's the same thing I was thinking. I know Superchips recommends resetting to factory specs before you bring the vehicle in for servicing to try to prevent the settings from being screwed up like this while it's being worked on. I'm surprised that AEV doesn't recommend doing the same with their Procal. That said, you should still be able to wipe everything clean by resetting to stock, and then put things back the way you like it.

Also, I've heard that Superchips' Trail Dash lets you set the TPMS to go off at a lower pressure setting than 20 psi. Anyone know if that's correct? I think I might have that confused with just temporarily turning the TPMS off for while you're aired down on the trail.

Elon99

Turning off TPMS with Procal

I was thinking the same. Reset to stock and then reprogram. I have no experience though.

Actually I have a question. When you turn off the tpms do get zero's for each tire (13 w EVIC) or just no light/ding?

I have a 2013 JK and have turned off the TPMS with the Procal. When you flip to the TPMS read-out on the dash, each of the 4 tires reads 0 psi. And no light or ding.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Same here. Just did it about 2 weeks ago.

Tree Frog

Finally got a chance to look at this problem.

As advised I cleared/ released/ reset the ProCal from the VIN.
Then went step by step and reprogrammed Tire size, DRL and TPMS
Still acting the same.
Checked how I do it several times, yes I am doing it "Right". Seems like it is taking as I get the two quick honks of the horn.
Never got any flashing of security lights on dash as described in the Troubleshooting Guide.

Problem is as soon as I start the vehicle I get a displayed message on the EVIC display that says "CHECK TPMS" and then it goes to a 4 corner tire display with the value of 0.
This will remain on screen until I click the EVIC Menu button one time where then I will be returned to my previous display, compass heading and temp.
Never get any sounds, or any further display's.

While this is no big deal to have to click the menu button upon start up it would be nice to get it to go away like it was originally.

Just wrote a nice letter to AEV and will post up once I get any advise back.

Thanks for your guys help and advise. :thumb:

Big b

Finally got a chance to look at this problem.

As advised I cleared/ released/ reset the ProCal from the VIN.
Then went step by step and reprogrammed Tire size, DRL and TPMS
Still acting the same.
Checked how I do it several times, yes I am doing it "Right". Seems like it is taking as I get the two quick honks of the horn.
Never got any flashing of security lights on dash as described in the Troubleshooting Guide.

Problem is as soon as I start the vehicle I get a displayed message on the EVIC display that says "CHECK TPMS" and then it goes to a 4 corner tire display with the value of 0.
This will remain on screen until I click the EVIC Menu button one time where then I will be returned to my previous display, compass heading and temp.
Never get any sounds, or any further display's.

While this is no big deal to have to click the menu button upon start up it would be nice to get it to go away like it was originally.

Just wrote a nice letter to AEV and will post up once I get any advise back.

Thanks for your guys help and advise. :thumb:

Just installed a ProCal on my 2014 and it does the same thing you're describing. I programmed the TPMS off, but every time I start the jeep I get the message "Check TPMS" no dings and then shows 0 psi on all four corners. I have to push the compass button to get it off that screen. I wish it didn't do this, but I figured it was normal.

Tree Frog

Well it was not normal at one time. Used to turn it off to zero and you never got the display or ding again.
I bet that Mopar has some new program in the flash update that causes this.
I will post up once I get an answer from AEV.
These manufacturers and dealers are really covering their butt on this TPMS thing.
Thanks for letting me know I was not crazy.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Just installed a ProCal on my 2014 and it does the same thing you're describing. I programmed the TPMS off, but every time I start the jeep I get the message "Check TPMS" no dings and then shows 0 psi on all four corners. I have to push the compass button to get it off that screen. I wish it didn't do this, but I figured it was normal.

I experienced the same thing on my 2014. Found a post where AEV had suggested that disconnecting the negative on the battery for at least 30 minutes will reset the dash lights. I can say that it worked for me.

Top Bottom