Death wobble after 2.5' lift

BumblebeeZA

Ok so the topic has been mentioned many times before.
I went through most of them and did as best as possible as recommended.

I however still have a wobble when hitting a bump or "hole".
I never had the issue before the lift, I recently installed a 2' spacer lift, no shock extensions no relocation brackets... nothing except the spacers.

I re centered my steering after the lift and I still get a BAD wobble when hitting a bump etc at about 90 - 100km/h (55 - 60m/h)
I checked all my ball joints in the steering system, all 100%
No play in the trackbar.

Theres is literally no play anywhere in the system.
Could this be caster related or axle angle related?

Should I remove the spacers and save for a proper lift?
I also recently received 4 2nd hand 255/75R17 GY Wrangler AT tyres from a friend which I put on and balanced. 2 new, and 2 with about 4mm tread left, new at the back, used in the front.
Could it be my tires causing the wobble?

Normal cruising no issues or shimmy when driving at about 90 - 100km/h (55 - 60m/h)

Last edited:

BumblebeeZA

Mine was worn balljoints. How did you check yours?

I took everything apart, took me like 4 hours today and im dead tiered now :bummed: :misery:
To take the spacers all out again will take another 2 - 3 hours, but hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Did you read Eddie's write up on death wobble? It's in the Jeep tech section, Jk section, death wobble and what it is ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424613905.741422.jpg
I couldn't figure out how to move link sorry.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I jacked my front end up and put a pry bar under tire lifting up and down. It had several millimeter of up and down play but I couldn't wiggle tire and tell. New balljoints and alignment my death wobble is gone.
Yours may be different, but it's a easy to check. If you can see it with naked they need attention. I can't remember how much tolerance they should have if you check them with micrometer. Maybe someone else will know.

BumblebeeZA

This is definately a death wobble. Shimmy normally is a slight wobble when at certain speeds. This im experiencing only started since i put in the spacer lift.
As im driving everything is normal, hit a bump and then my whole Jeep shakes and feels as if everything is gonna rip to pieces!
I have has these tyres on for about 1 month now and no issues, was just thinking maybe this could be a contribution to the DW.

jeeeep

Hooked
did you loosen the control arms and track bar, before you installed the spacers?

did you have the Jeep on the ground and give it a good bouncing before you torqued everything back up after the install?

I would loosen the control arms and track bar, then while the Jeep is on the ground bounce the front end to eliminate and possible binding.

torque everything back up to proper spec.

BumblebeeZA

Nope never losened the trackbar or control arms. I only losened the sway bar links.
please confirm the torque settings for the trackbar and control arms front and back. Ill do that tonight quick and check if it helps in the morning. (Its 18:00pm here in SA now)

jeeeep

Hooked
Last edited:

BumblebeeZA

Ok, loosened everything, wiggled my Jeep, I never heard anything pop or move around though.
Re torqued the bolts and nuts.

Ill only test on my way to work tomorrow, its getting late now.

If this doesnt work, is this possibly caster related or axle not centered?

jeeeep

Hooked
Ok, loosened everything, wiggled my Jeep, I never heard anything pop or move around though.
Re torqued the bolts and nuts.

Ill only test on my way to work tomorrow, its getting late now.

If this doesnt work, is this possibly caster related or axle not centered?

check your caster angle to see how much it changed. an incorrect caster will give you flighty steering but I don't imagine it would cause DW

BumblebeeZA

Yeah, i feel it is twitchy but not serious. I did notice if I turn my steering wheel the actual wheels only move after the wheel has been turned like 5mm. Seems like play in the steering box, google says this cant cause DW, but I cant see why not.

Thanks for the advise and tips so far

Top Bottom