Lockers

Green2012

Ok, Im gonna open a can of worms but i need advice . I am going to lock my rear dana44 but leave the front 30 open. Reason is i am going to replace the 30 at some point but it will be a while unless I break it . It is my DD and I don't want to spend the money on a selectable locker right now. I have blew my brain up with all the differences of opinions on this. But any way I know I need better axels and most say ARB lockers but that just aint happening anytime soon as bad as i want it to. So any other suggestions would be great but since I'm just locking the rear for now what locker would be as road friendly as possible but still lock solid on trail . Thanks.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
People have been wheeling open for years. If anything, it will just make you that much better of a driver. My .02 is to save your money until you can afford what you really want. Otherwise, you will be paying twice to end up with what you wanted from the beginning.

07JKSahara

I echo Sharkey. Play with what you have. You'll be surprised how much you can get through. Go with friends, take a strap. Enjoy the jeep.

KingCopperhead

Don't be afraid to go open! I did some pretty gnarly crawling before I upgraded to a locked Rubicon axle in my jk.

Like our friends here have said, bring a tow strap, a winch is always nice, and pick good lines.

Ok a buddy of mine has told me several times that a locker does not make you better off-road. I recommend driving your Jeep as it is to see what you can do with it in the current set up. Once you get more comfortable you will see appreciate having lockers. a couple of weeks ago I was on the trail with some buddies who were locked and I went everywhere they did. It took a little more finesse on my end to get over the obstacles but did I did not have to pull line. One thing that helped me was my tires. Believe it or not tires do make a huge difference when gripping rocks and going through mud. If it were me I would invest in tires and then wheel your jeep stock to see just what it is capable of doing.

R/
Will

07JKSahara

Not really a can of worms, but probably not what you thought we'd say. None of us built our jeeps overnight, and we all love being on the trails, so every single one of us has probably wheeled stock. I did it for a year and loved every minute. You don't break as much, replacement parts are cheap and easy to find. Enjoy the jeep, let your experiences tell you what the next mod is. Have fun and remember to post up pics when your out. We love seeing other jeeps!

Green2012

Ok guys good sound advice and very appreciated! I will just wheel it every chance and upgrade the small stuff and save for the bigger upgrades later on . Ill just make my next upgrade a winch and bumper and some recovery gear this year which will be more than I had last year and hit the trails . Again thanks for the input ! Oh and im thinking poison spyder bfh bumper and warn vr 10,000 s winch ?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Ok guys good sound advice and very appreciated! I will just wheel it every chance and upgrade the small stuff and save for the bigger upgrades later on . Ill just make my next upgrade a winch and bumper and some recovery gear this year which will be more than I had last year and hit the trails . Again thanks for the input ! Oh and im thinking poison spyder bfh bumper and warn vr 10,000 s winch ?

Smart move, in terms of winch, buy the biggest one you can afford, you will never say Damn this 12K Lbs winch, should've bought a 9,500 lbs one...

Smart move, in terms of winch, buy the biggest one you can afford, you will never say Damn this 12K Lbs winch, should've bought a 9,500 lbs one...

Exactly. I would also recommend getting a Warn Winch. Check out the 2012 JKX where EVO is pulled through the mud and the winch did not quit. May I also recommend getting the PowerPlant. It will not only give you a ability to winch but will also give you an air compressor to air up at the end of the day.

SFNick

I see that you're in Tennessee. Look on Craiglist there are some great deals on a new Mopar boxed Warn CTI 9.5 winch. I got mine for 750$ & I love my BFH! As far as lockers goes, it's a night & day difference when playing in the rocks locked vs unlocked. Anybody with lockers will tell you this. You can either push the rock or climb up it. I think I'll sale that quote to ARB. Lol

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424736908.863444.jpg

Green2012

SFNick thats a bad ass jeep brother ! And yeah all you guys have gave great advice and im not gonna waste money on the 30 or lockers yet. Ill wait ill get upgrade axels one day . For now though i just ordered the BFH and warn 10,000synthetic that will help for now . Especially i know how i am i am kind of a do it or die type i bent my rear axel shaft first trip last year jeep was basically stock then.. Im a lil rough i guess .. I haven't updated my profile cuz i forgot how . But i have made few mods i am sitting now on 35-12,50-17s RK 3.5 xfactor and have winch and bumper on way ..so im trying but money is scarce . Lol

Dean454

I agree I wheeled for a while without lockers. Just go with friends and do what you can. Just enjoy your jeep and don't worry about what you don't have

SFNick

Thanks! You're gonna like that BFH. Money is a lot scarcer when you own a Jeep that's for sure!

KingCopperhead

SFNick thats a bad ass jeep brother ! And yeah all you guys have gave great advice and im not gonna waste money on the 30 or lockers yet. Ill wait ill get upgrade axels one day . For now though i just ordered the BFH and warn 10,000synthetic that will help for now . Especially i know how i am i am kind of a do it or die type i bent my rear axel shaft first trip last year jeep was basically stock then.. Im a lil rough i guess .. I haven't updated my profile cuz i forgot how . But i have made few mods i am sitting now on 35-12,50-17s RK 3.5 xfactor and have winch and bumper on way ..so im trying but money is scarce . Lol

Smart man buying a winch and recovery gear. A friend once told me that a locker will get you places, and sometimes those places are tough to get out of!

Good call on going warn, I cheaped out and got an engo. While it's gotten plenty of use and I'm happy with it, if I knew how much I'd be using it, I would have gotten a warn power plant.

Enjoy the new mods, and post up some pics next time you go wheeling. We all enjoy seeing some action shots.

Top Bottom