Rubi lockers problem

kpig

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon with the stock lockers front and rear. I'm running 37s and regeared 4.56 when I was still running 35s. The problem is that the lockers will only lock in two positions, when the wheels rotate 180 degrees. The jeep always did this even with stock tires, but wasn't so noticeable until I got the 37s, which I assume is because a full rotation is longer with the larger diameter tires. Is this normal to only lock in 2 positions, or does anyone know of any known issues with these lockers? If I missed another thread with this, my apologies.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Never heard of that. I have 37's, stock lockers and 4.88's. My lockers usually lock right away. It is unlocking they get finicky about.

Dave

tpietzsch

Strange, getting the obvious out of the way, I'm assuming you have kept up with fresh gear oil. I can tell you from having mine apart the tolerance of the collar that engages and disengages the dog clutch are tight. Might be worth taking the cover off for a look around.

kpig

Strange, getting the obvious out of the way, I'm assuming you have kept up with fresh gear oil. I can tell you from having mine apart the tolerance of the collar that engages and disengages the dog clutch are tight. Might be worth taking the cover off for a look around.

Will do. Thank you.

Wizard

Never heard of that. I have 37's, stock lockers and 4.88's. My lockers usually lock right away. It is unlocking they get finicky about.

Dave

^^^^^ Same here. Engaging is the easy bit, disengaging can be a problem.

kpig

Update

Does this make sense? After researching more info about the stock locker and on a hunch, I drained the rear diff and refilled with stock spec fluid. I noticed that after the gear change, it appears that the fluid was thicker than stock (royal purple from what the shop recommended) and maybe even overfilled based upon emptying more than what was used to refill. I took the Jeep on a short trail ride this Sunday, and now lockers are working fine, again. Anyone have a logical reason for this?

Top Bottom