3.8L Engine Problems?

Mtbhjm

Has anyone else had any engine issues with their 3.8L JK? The original engine had a problem with the oiling system and had oil starvation, leading to total engine failure. I replaced the engine with a new one and there was a problem with a gasket on the engine as well as some issues with the way it matched up to the drivetrain. Now I have to scrap that engine and am on my 3rd engine. Has anyone else had issues like this? I know Jeeps aren't the most reliable vehicles, but this is a bit much.

jeeeep

Hooked
wow, haven't heard of anything like this. are you sure you're getting an actual JK 3.8 not one out of a caravan or other car? I imagine they would all have slight differences

Brankz

Nope I had 2 jks on my life 😁 and no problems at all, only had a tranny problem but nothing that i can't handle lol 😜

bnatt78

The only thing is, are you checking the oil on the engine regularly? On my JK I have noticed it does burn oil and if I don't watch it! It has gone down to only having 3 quarts of oil in the engine.

Mtbhjm

Thanks for your responses. I have never had any problems with my oil level, I don't remember exactly how the mechanic said it, but the problem was something along the lines of the oil draining out of the engine while it was not running so that every time you started it, it ran without any or minimal lubrication for a few minutes (that may be incorrect, I am not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to engine internals). I did buy my Jeep used, but it only had 36,000 miles on it at that time. I guess the prior owner could have done some damage in that time. It is still decently under 100K miles. I am not being charged for the 3rd engine being installed now because the 2nd engine failed so quickly and was the result of a faulty engine, so hopefully the third one works out and I get the reliable experience you guys did. At least it appears to be an isolated case.

JDDK

This Monday I discovered my 09jku at was dripping in the driveway as I left for work. I was so bummed and it ruined my morning. Later once the sun was up I kneeled down to inspect as I could smell it burning. I saw oil all over the front and sides of the pan. As I looked closer I saw it dripping from the filter. When I grabbed the filter it was loose!!! 3k mi since the last change. Morons didnt snug it up?! I dont think it rattled loose on its own. Anyways I think I avoided a catastrophe

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks for your responses. I have never had any problems with my oil level, I don't remember exactly how the mechanic said it, but the problem was something along the lines of the oil draining out of the engine while it was not running so that every time you started it, it ran without any or minimal lubrication for a few minutes (that may be incorrect, I am not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to engine internals). I did buy my Jeep used, but it only had 36,000 miles on it at that time. I guess the prior owner could have done some damage in that time. It is still decently under 100K miles. I am not being charged for the 3rd engine being installed now because the 2nd engine failed so quickly and was the result of a faulty engine, so hopefully the third one works out and I get the reliable experience you guys did. At least it appears to be an isolated case.

Dry start has been an issue especially after it sits for a couple of days, I always cringed each time. I recommend using a good filter that is designed with anti-drain back features, I've had good luck with Wix, Fram tough guard, Napa Gold, they tend to be more expensive but if your jeep tends to sit for days between starts then it's a good investment.

Mtbhjm

Dry start has been an issue especially after it sits for a couple of days, I always cringed each time. I recommend using a good filter that is designed with anti-drain back features, I've had good luck with Wix, Fram tough guard, Napa Gold, they tend to be more expensive but if your jeep tends to sit for days between starts then it's a good investment.

I drive it almost every day so it never sits for very long. I did get a K&N oil filter when the 2nd engine was installed. Before the 2nd engine had its problems, it appeared to do the job.

jeeeep

Hooked
I drive it almost every day so it never sits for very long. I did get a K&N oil filter when the 2nd engine was installed. Before the 2nd engine had its problems, it appeared to do the job.

I didn't have luck with the K&N, it would give me too many dry starts, even if I drove it daily.

tonytony9

The only thing is, are you checking the oil on the engine regularly? On my JK I have noticed it does burn oil and if I don't watch it! It has gone down to only having 3 quarts of oil in the engine.

^^^^ if you have high miles make sure you are using a heavier oil weight than what is recommended. I used 20 on my last change and in 1k miles I burnt through my oil and if I didn't catch it I would have had a disaster on my hands.

UtahJK

Mine has 110k miles on it and after a 5000 mile oil change interval, the level is still in the safe zone. I use Mobil one full synthetic 5w-20 with a Napa gold filter. Maybe I'm just lucky?

jeeeep

Hooked
Mine has 110k miles on it and after a 5000 mile oil change interval, the level is still in the safe zone. I use Mobil one full synthetic 5w-20 with a Napa gold filter. Maybe I'm just lucky?

same here, 110k miles, use full synth and Napa filter...no major oil burning. even on the long trips between Tx and Ut

kfd78

3.8 engine problems

I noticed an oil issue in mine as well. Just did a change after 4k and had almost no oil left in pan. No leaks to be seen and no spray on under carriage. The only tell tale was my oil light would flash for a slit second on initial acceleration after starting up. No puddles or anything. I was clearly lax in regularly checking during this last 4k so that's on me. It was just a huge surprise that worried me a bit. I've been using K&N filter with no issues. Kinda stumped.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Blew my engine last Friday... Piston rings failed. Oil drained right through. Living proof of oil starvation

And I just posted on here a few weeks ago. Karma?......

Christarp

My 3.8 burns oil like nobody's business. Decided to change the oil at 3k miles recently and just about right when I pulled out of the napa and threw it into first and took off to go home to change my oil my light briefly came on upon acceleration and I knew it was going to be bad news. I had been hearing some icky dry starts recently and I had put it off for about a week or so, as I had checked it maybe 2 months or so earlier and it was fine so I didn't expect it to really go through that much. I have done a few long road trips since then, but still.

I only pulled 1 quart out of the pan, and that was after I jacked the front end up and drained more out of the pan. Means I'm burning probably 5 quarts of oil every 3k miles. I bumped up to 5w30 this time to see if that would help anything, but I'm sensing a lingering doom for this poor engine.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
My 3.8 burns oil like nobody's business. Decided to change the oil at 3k miles recently and just about right when I pulled out of the napa and threw it into first and took off to go home to change my oil my light briefly came on upon acceleration and I knew it was going to be bad news. I had been hearing some icky dry starts recently and I had put it off for about a week or so, as I had checked it maybe 2 months or so earlier and it was fine so I didn't expect it to really go through that much. I have done a few long road trips since then, but still.

I only pulled 1 quart out of the pan, and that was after I jacked the front end up and drained more out of the pan. Means I'm burning probably 5 quarts of oil every 3k miles. I bumped up to 5w30 this time to see if that would help anything, but I'm sensing a lingering doom for this poor engine.

Mine was burning a quart ever 1000 miles so switched to 5w30 and burns a Quart ever 3000 or so. Fingers crossed I can get a couple more years out of her.

Top Bottom