Line X fenders and skins color match, anyone done this?

bkac

Caught the Bug
My skins are coming in tomorrow, I ordered the rockers in black powder coat and the rears bare metal, don't think black was an option. I'm thinking about taking them along with the factory trimmed fenders and getting them line X'ed white to match. I'm also thinking after I get them back I will spray them with the Jeep Bright White paint so i can continue to touch them up over time and be glossy. Any pro's or con's about doing this? Has anyone painted Line X before? looking for ideas.

Anyone know what MTG used on his skins?

BigPrince

My skins are coming in tomorrow, I ordered the rockers in black powder coat and the rears bare metal, don't think black was an option. I'm thinking about taking them along with the factory trimmed fenders and getting them line X'ed white to match. I'm also thinking after I get them back I will spray them with the Jeep Bright White paint so i can continue to touch them up over time and be glossy. Any pro's or con's about doing this? Has anyone painted Line X before? looking for ideas.

Anyone know what MTG used on his skins?

I line-x'd my metalcloak overline fenders, armor, and sliders. Worst thing I've done to the jeep by far. As soon as it touches a rock or tree it doesn't scratch, it peels off in big chunks. I have had the coating done twice and it is not a prep issue. Even primed it the second time. Primer scratches but linex continues to peel and can't be touched up as it never stops peeling if you pull on it. I highly recommend powdercoat or paint. Linex may work well in tubs/beds but it will not hold up on other parts and Line-x of Gainesville GA said they would not warranty it. I don't mind touching up scratches but it's impossible to touch up 3-5in chucks that peel off. I'm having the linex removed and then the parts powdercoated. Atleast a paint with the same color/sheen can decently touch it up.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I line-x'd my metalcloak overline fenders, armor, and sliders. Worst thing I've done to the jeep by far. As soon as it touches a rock or tree it doesn't scratch, it peels off in big chunks. I have had the coating done twice and it is not a prep issue. Even primed it the second time. Primer scratches but linex continues to peel and can't be touched up as it never stops peeling if you pull on it. I highly recommend powdercoat or paint. Linex may work well in tubs/beds but it will not hold up on other parts and Line-x of Gainesville GA said they would not warranty it. I don't mind touching up scratches but it's impossible to touch up 3-5in chucks that peel off. I'm having the linex removed and then the parts powdercoated. Atleast a paint with the same color/sheen can decently touch it up.

Maybe I'll just use bedliner spray paint then use the color match white paint overtop. That way I can touch it up.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Mine are powder coated. As I indicated in my PM, the color is not a perfect match. If that will bother you, you should get them painted. If I were doing it again I would probably consider priming and painting them myself with nice quality color matched paint. :yup:

`

bkac

Caught the Bug
Mine are powder coated. As I indicated in my PM, the color is not a perfect match. If that will bother you, you should get them painted. If I were doing it again I would probably consider priming and painting them myself with nice quality color matched paint. :yup:

`

That's probably the route I'm going to take now. I waited awhile before I pm'd you. Thanks for the answers. Tried to find it in the amazing Knuckles thread but had no success. Lots and lots of posts in that thread! Awesome build!

shadow21

This sounds like a prep issue regardless of what they say. Nothing I've ever seen comes off in sheets if prep work is done correctly. I've always really like Rhino Liners as they seem to give only problem being is the colors dull quickly.

Either way powder coating is your best bet as far as shine/color matching goes. Exactly what color is your jeep? If it's a pearl color chance of a exact match are slim. The powder coater I use has some 6500+ colors to pick from and I'm sure you would find a close enough match not to worry if you take your time and they have swatches to compare with.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I painted my rears with simple white paint that kind of matched decently, but after I installed them I hated it cuz it was off so ended up just using rusto bed liner which I use on a lot of parts and they turned out great, but I found out anti-seez is impossible to get off of it. I plan to redo them again once its actually warm enough to paint them properly.

CharlieK

I had my posion spyder fenders line-x to match my jeep. This was the worst thing I've ever done. The colors won't match, the line-x will have a flat look against the clear coat of the jeep, looked like shit. The line-x won't apply evenly to the fenders due to their shape. It was an unbelievable pain in the ass to strip it off, so I could send them to powder coat. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1424875469.803680.jpg

bkac

Caught the Bug
I had my posion spyder fenders line-x to match my jeep. This was the worst thing I've ever done. The colors won't match, the line-x will have a flat look against the clear coat of the jeep, looked like shit. The line-x won't apply evenly to the fenders due to their shape. It was an unbelievable pain in the ass to strip it off, so I could send them to powder coat. View attachment 127111

I am definitely leaning towards paint or powdercoat now. Btw, great looking Jeep!

CJW

I used duplicolor bed liner with Kevlar in the aerosol can. It's kind of messy but it dries even. I've done a lot of touch ups with it on my sliders and they blend in very well.
I think it holds up well. I sprayed it directly on the bare metal (no primer, but fully prepped) and it stays were it should.
It does seem to take a day or two longer than advertised to fully cure.

BigPrince

This sounds like a prep issue regardless of what they say. Nothing I've ever seen comes off in sheets if prep work is done correctly.

Not going to beat a dead horse by any means but thought I would share for anyone searching on this topic- this is a pic of the liner coming off my rails. If I continue to pull on it it comes right off in a sheet. Line-X refused to warranty it. At the end of the day it could be a prep issue but if they aren't going to warranty their work then I recommend steering clear no matter the cause.

linex fail.jpg

jkur77

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425074365.092119.jpg
If you can tell in this picture. The liner didn't hold up at all. It comes off and big sheets as well.

jeeeep

Hooked
wonder if you could get them powder coated a flat grey then scuff them up on one side, paint to match then clear coat. That would give you the protection of powder coat coverage and still allow for easy color match touch ups :thinking:

Top Bottom