School Me on Axles, Splines & Rubicon vs Non-Rubicon Compatibility

aermotor

I've got (or will soon have) a rubicon front 44, and a non-rubicon rear 44 that I will be regearing. My question is specifically to the spline counts and how those work when regearing.

1) I assume I can upgrade to 32 spline in the front rubicon housing?
2) Can I upgrade to 35 spline in the rear non-rubicon axle since I'm doing a regear, or am I stuck with 30 since it's a non-rubicon?
3) Can I upgrade later or do I need to decide now because of the regear?

I ask because if I can spend a little extra now and put better axles in while regearing, I might as well do it?

Thanks for any help, I just don't know all the specifics of axle innards.

ETA: Tech Note: These axles are 35 spline upgrade and not for use with stock differential. These will require the use of either ARB Air Locker or Auburn Exted electric locker. Stock Rubicon rear used 32 spline and non Rubicon used 30 spline.

I guess that answers a lot for me, though I guess you can't use a 35 spline in an open diff?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can only upgrade your spline count IF you install a carrier or locker that will receive it.

aermotor

And I imagine changing the carrier is more cost and time, or is it not that big of a deal to go 35 in the rear on a non-rubicon?

I suppose just upgrading to chromoloy would help even at the stock spline size, but I could do that down the road myself I think.

Last edited:

mastrcruse

From what I've learned...you can do an ARB locker that allows you to upgrade to 35 spline in the rear of a non-rubicon. I'm looking at gathering the parts numbers for the upgrade of 35 spline, ARB, and 4.88 rear in my sport

Top Bottom