ECM shorted?

toxicwaste29

So my starter went bad and I replaced it. I undid the positive battery cable since I didn't want to arc a wrench while undoing the starter cables. I put the new starter in and put the positive cables back on he terminal and they sparked which is normal for a battery; not a huge spark just a little one; the starter issue was fixed. After driving it down the road the engine light came on and now it has a p480 code which is for the cooling fan. Also recently my front turn signals have been working and then not working; the dash tells me this and also you can see they aren't working this randomly happens. It happened again on my way home; I pulled into the drive, shut off the jeep and turned it back on and now my turn signals are normal again. Im thinking it could be a bad ground but my cables are all tightened and it all started after replacing my starter. Does anyone have any ideas?

jeeeep

Hooked
did you check the fuse in the fuse block next to the battery? the fan has a fuse in there, on my 2010 it's fuse J19, 60 Amp yellow

toxicwaste29

Yes I did. Also when the front turn signals don't work the horn also does not work. The rear taillights are unaffected by anything.

toxicwaste29

I went through all my grounds and they all were tight. I happen to glance and out of the corner of my eye found this ground that corroded and broke in half. It goes from the battery to a splitter on the firewall near the battery then down onto the motor. Im not sure if it explains the front turn signals and horn yet but so far they returned to normal. I tested the voltage for the fan and it is receiving voltage on the fan side of the plug. I ran it with my ac on for some time and the fan never did kick on so it could be either that or the temperature sender. Ill dig into it further.

IMG_20150226_140510949.jpg

toxicwaste29

Does anyone know how to tie a factory fan direct into a battery to test it? I ran black to black and red to red on a jump pack yet the fan didn't start. There is a third wire (green) which Im assuming is a signal wire. I also assume you could just do black to black and then red to red and green.

jeeeep

Hooked
Does anyone know how to tie a factory fan direct into a battery to test it? I ran black to black and red to red on a jump pack yet the fan didn't start. There is a third wire (green) which Im assuming is a signal wire. I also assume you could just do black to black and then red to red and green.

On my other Jeeps I was able to disconnect the fan at the temperature sensor and it would turn on (as long as the motor was on)

toxicwaste29

Is this the temp sender? I tried searching for where it is located and the one post I found showed this for a 3.6. Its the thing with the red tab. How do I undo the red tab? I can barely get my hand it to reach it and can't see anything.

Attachments

• 1425334475972.jpg
    1425334475972.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 1425334484613.jpg
    1425334484613.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 26

toxicwaste29

Okay I messed around with it for over an hour before I decided to quit. I figured since my gauge isn't fluctuating it has to be the fan. I don't want to break the clip just to see if the fan works or not. I already broke the release but was able to put the safety clip back on

jeeeep

Hooked
Is this the temp sender? I tried searching for where it is located and the one post I found showed this for a 3.6. Its the thing with the red tab. How do I undo the red tab? I can barely get my hand it to reach it and can't see anything.

that looks like it, is it below/ near the thermostat housing?

toxicwaste29

that looks like it, is it below/ near the thermostat housing?

No if you look at the first picture it is below the steering link and above the cat. The only to get to it is by hand between the abs lines and then loop your hand under the steering link.

jeeeep

Hooked
No if you look at the first picture it is below the steering link and above the cat. The only to get to it is by hand between the abs lines and then loop your hand under the steering link.

oh no, that's not it. it should be very close to the thermostat housing, it just to the right on my 2010. i'll take a pic

toxicwaste29

I've been over the entire front of the block. I have yet to find the sensor or even a wire harness leading to the front for the sensor. That must mean the sensor is in the rear driver side of the block meaning I'll have to pull the steering shaft to replace it

toxicwaste29

I replaced the coolant sensor. I'll upload a write up later tonight hopefully about it with pictures. Nothing changed, the code still came back and I swapped the fan relay with the starter relay and it started up so the relay isn't bad. That only leaves the fan which I'll order and replace.

Top Bottom