Questions About the North Rim GC Area

crowrb29

A few of my buddies and I were considering going on a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon/ South Utah area the weekend of March 6 or shortly thereafter. I know it's still a little bit chilly there this time of year and the weather always has the possibility to change quickly but is a trip this time of year doable? We would like to see Toroweap and a few other things while we were there. Also open to any suggestions from those that have been there in the past. Any advice or recommendations would be awesome!!! Thank you in advance.

The North Rim lodge and viewing area is closed during the winter, Nov to April, which includes the road in, SR 67 from Jacob Lake south including any forest road around that area leading to the rim edge up in the forested areas. Toroweap point area is all dirt road access and says it's open year around but day use only with NPS access permit...could be muddy or dry, but the north part of the state is getting lots of weather last week (like 3 inches of snow in Page last weekend) and more this weekend (Saturday thru Tuesday) so I'm guessing it'll be a mud pit or closed by NPS by 3/6, ( go to www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm ). Might want to stick to the National Park circuit in Southern Utah area 'grand circle' (Brice,Zion etc) with more improved road...not saying to not Jeep, but if your touring and family sightseeing, then just playing it safe on the advice. But if your trying to making it true Jeeping run, then have fun and be careful! :rock::rock:

crowrb29

Thank You! I think we might play it safe and go later in the year when the weather is a little more steady. Just really anxious because we have been holding out on this trip for a while. I saw a video that Dixie 4x4 up in Saint George posted and it looks like there is a lot of snow on the ground in that area right now....

Top Bottom