Problem After Lift, Wheels and Tires

tkd415

Hello Everyone

I'm new to Jeeps and currently have a 2007 Rubicon (48000 miles, 3.5 Rusty's Off Road Lift, Spidertrax 1.5 Wheel Spacers, Dick Cepek 17x9 DC-2 Wheels and Maxxis Trepador Tires) and since I installed the lift and wheels, I've experienced the dreaded Death Wobble. I've replaced the tie rod, checked all the bolts and noticed that I need to replace the ball joints (have Synergy ones ordered).

Most of you have been around this problem longer, so what am I missing? Am I headed in the right direction to clear this problem? I need to get this problem fied as this is my daily driver.

Thanks

Ah2014jk

Usual first place to look is tight ( proper tightness ) on all the steering bolts. If you say the ball joints are worn then that could be it as well.

Just don't let any convince you its steering stabilizer !

aldaman

Question, when you installed your lift:
Did you loosen all the bolts from the front upper & lower control arms?
Did you cycle the suspension, tighten/torqued the bolts with the full weight of the jeep on the ground (this avoids any possible binding)
Was the track bar torqued to specs.
Lastly, were those star washers removed from your rotors before installing the wheel spacers...
All of these things can be checked while you wait on the new ball joints.

Last edited:

Sgranhold

Having the same issue here...the death wobble but ONLY when braking and has only started since new 35" tires were added after lift. Ball joints?

Mjay

Are you guys sure you're actually experiencing death wobble?

Sounds maybe more like a shimmy or something. Perhaps tires out of balance? Worn out bushing/ball joints?

From my experience death wobble often has to do with worn out track bar bushings of loose track bar bolts. And it could quite literally make you shit your pants

Sgranhold

I don't know... Damn sure feels like a death wobble! Jeep is uncontrollable, unable to steer until coming to a stop and then start moving again. Was exiting the highway in Dallas a week ago when it happened and the shit my pants part almost happened...it's terrifying. Heading into the dealership tomorrow for diagnosis cause I'm a girl and not all that handy under a jeep 😜

I don't know... Damn sure feels like a death wobble! Jeep is uncontrollable, unable to steer until coming to a stop and then start moving again. Was exiting the highway in Dallas a week ago when it happened and the shit my pants part almost happened...it's terrifying. Heading into the dealership tomorrow for diagnosis cause I'm a girl and not all that handy under a jeep 😜

You want to make sure they retorque your trackbar first and foremost. If they don't, they'll just be chasing their tail.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Is this what it's doing?

http://youtu.be/vwiv23dLhMY

That is death wobble. If it isn't doing that then it's not death wobble.

Sgranhold

I can't see if that's what it looks like (since obviously I'm driving) but it is definitely what it feels like! I've seen that video before but again my does that after I start braking... Anywhere from 20 to 40 mph approx.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I can't see if that's what it looks like (since obviously I'm driving) but it is definitely what it feels like! I've seen that video before but again my does that after I start braking... Anywhere from 20 to 40 mph approx.

rotor could be bent. i've seen this happen by over torquing the lug nuts. does it stop if you let off the brakes?

Last edited:

Sgranhold

That's what I meant... Ride it out for the few seconds until it stabilizes and comes to a stop. At the dealership now, waiting for them to tell me I've voided my warranty and a dollar amount. Ha.

tkd415

Problem After Lift, WHeels and Tires-UPDATE

Well the new ball joints are in. Replaced track bar, axle u joints, some spindle bolts and added gussets and No More Wobble!!

Thanks to everyone who gave me hints on what to check

20150217_105019.jpg

kgw350

Well the new ball joints are in. Replaced track bar, axle u joints, some spindle bolts and added gussets and No More Wobble!!

Thanks to everyone who gave me hints on what to check

View attachment 131985

Mike I think your referring to the unit bearing not the spindle. One more week till Rausch then we get to see those Trepadors in action. You getting excited?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom