Wheel and tire options.

fablag

I'm upgrading my tires on my 2011 JKUR.... looking at either 33" or 35"
1st question, if I go 35" what are the consequences of riding on stock gears for a good while??

2nd question, I have a set of 15" rock crawler steel wheels in storage from an old Chevy.. 5on5 bolt pattern with 3.75 back spacing... should I mount those and get r15 tires or buy a set of spacers and run the stock 17 rims??

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
You will notice a loss if power when you put the bigger tires on without regearing. Thats about it.

As for the 15" rims. They may fit however you will probably have to grind down your caliper a little which is something I personally wouldn't do. Also with the smaller rim and bigger tire your jeep will be more unstable in of chamber situations.

Personally I would skip the 15s and keep bigger rims.

1st question, if I go 35" what are the consequences of riding on stock gears for a good while??

2nd question, I have a set of 15" rock crawler steel wheels in storage from an old Chevy.. 5on5 bolt pattern with 3.75 back spacing... should I mount those and get r15 tires or buy a set of spacers and run the stock 17 rims??

Im running 35s on stock rubi wheels. 1.5" wheels spacers work perfect.

First pic is 295/70s, second is 35x12.50. Both on factory rims with 1.5" spacers.

Attachments

• 1425254749497.jpg
    1425254749497.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 1425254763244.jpg
    1425254763244.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 113

StrizzyChris

no mechanical consequences to be mentioned. You will lose noticable power if you are running stock gears on 35" tires and the older 3.8L engine, but it will not hurt anything. You will notice your Jeep hunting for gears when on the interstate and up any real incline. I am, and many others are, running stock gears (mine are 4.10 with the 3.6L engine) with 37's and while it's doable...it's less than desireable.

It is 100% personal preference. If you already own the wheels, and plan on going 33" then sure. With 35" then 15's would be fine but I personally would run 17" wheels BUT either would work just fine. The general rule of thumb is tire to wheel ratio being 2:1. The one concern you need to verify is that your 15" wheel will clear the brake calipers and where your tierod and drag link attatch to the knuckle.

17" tires are more expensive so from an economical standing 15" wheels would help you save more money when making your tire purchase.

jango

I run 15" wheels and they fit perfectly with no grinding. If you are looking into buying tires for the 15s, depending on the tire, they may be on back order. I was just shopping for some 35s and the KM2s as well as MTRs are on back order for 35x12.5x15. Just a heads up.

I am running stock gears with 33s now and my ride is okay. It'll probably be worse with 35s.... but Im planning to go to florida for college so not many hills down there to cry about lol.

StrizzyChris

I run 15" wheels and they fit perfectly with no grinding.

I do want to warn the OP to be sure to practice fit his 15" wheels prior to buying tires for them and assuming it will be just fine. While some 15" will fit...not all of them do.

Awesome looking rig!! Thanks for posting the pics! Which size tires did you like best??

Without question the 35s look and perform better. Jks just gobble up tires so i feel like bigger looks better. On the negative side, wear on parts, mpgs ect. All take a hit.

fablag

I run 15" wheels and they fit perfectly with no grinding. If you are looking into buying tires for the 15s, depending on the tire, they may be on back order. I was just shopping for some 35s and the KM2s as well as MTRs are on back order for 35x12.5x15. Just a heads up.

I am running stock gears with 33s now and my ride is okay. It'll probably be worse with 35s.... but Im planning to go to florida for college so not many hills down there to cry about lol.
Do you think you could post a few pics?? Thanks for the info btw!

Top Bottom