Best coilover lift and axle choice?

jeeper52

LOSER
HI everyone! I just picked up a 2015 jeep rubicon hard rock a week ago. Ive been doing a lot of research on what lift/axle combo to go with and I'm still having a hard time deciding. I know i want coilovers from the get go because im familiar with them and the ride and travel they offer but not sure on what kit to do. I really like the genright double triangulated 4 link with the king coilovers but I've yet been able to talk with anyone who has this kit to see if they like it and I'm not sure i can even afford it. Ive also seen the evo double d pro,the evo double throwdown,and the rebel. I would love to hear from anyone that has experience with any of these kits or maybe another one that I'm not aware of . Now for the axles, i plan on starting out with 37's and moving up to 40's eventually so there's no point that i can see spending the money and time putting in gears,gussets,sleeves,and trusses on my 44's So i know 60's are a must. There again a lot of choices but i don't have the knowledge to do the junk yard conversion so I'm left with a pre built axle but don't have a budget set aside for 18k worth of axles alone. I thought i had my mind made up with the currie rock jocks as i can get into a set of those for about $13k and i can take into account about $3500 for my stock 44's so that helps a little but i have been told by local shops that going with currie would be a mistake because they are having issues with bending and breaking? Then just yesterday i stumbled upon the ultimate dana 60's by dana that have a full rear float for around $11k. Sorry for the lengthy post but this is where im at. Please let me know if you have any experience with anything I've mentioned above. Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Do you plan on bombing thru the desert? If not then the double throw down will be overkill for you. To save some money and get just as good of performance in the rocks I would suggest the Evo bolt on coilovers with the long arm.

For axles do Dynatrac pr60's since you know your going to go 40's at some point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not saying that there's anything wrong with it but you won't hear much about the GenRight kit because nobody is running it. Not sure what you find so appealing about it but perhaps you can test it out for everyone. If you like a 1980's style nose bleed lift with out any real vertical travel, the Rebel kit is for you. Sure, you'll get to run 14" coil overs but you'll only get about 9" of actual vertical travel out of it - I have seen it with my own eyes. Of course, I am running the EVO DTD on both my JK's and not just because they are personal friends of mine. Over the years, they have simply been proven to work exceptionally well. This is the reason why you will see so many people running it.

As far as axles go, I think you're making the right choice to avoid Currie. If you've ever seen any of our videos, Randy use to run them on his JK and now runs Dynatrac. Why you might ask? Because the Curries were always breaking on him and he was getting tired of having to buy parts to fix it. When confronted, their answer to him was that he wheels too hard. The Ultimate 60 by Dana sounds great but being that they are a "P" part, you will NOT have any warranty on them. They are sold as is. Of course, I personally prefer Dynatrac ProRocks but only because they have proven themselves to be the best money can buy. Of course, they also come with the best kind of warranty - the one you will most likely never need to call on.

jeeper52

LOSER
Thanks for the reply. No i dont plan on bombing through the desert and ive pretty much ruled out the throwdown kit . Mostly trail driving and rock crawling in colorado and moab. I really like the genright setup with the flat belly design lcg and 4 link in the back and 3 up front plus you get like 13" of travel upfront and 15.5 in the back and tons of droop. Im trying to convince myself this is the one lol, just thought maybe there is a chance that there is a kit out there similar that is less $$. I like dynatrac but i cant do $18k for axles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply. No i dont plan on bombing through the desert and ive pretty much ruled out the throwdown kit . Mostly trail driving and rock crawling in colorado and moab.

Well, you could still get the DTD kit but with just coil overs and not the bypass shocks. That'll save you a lot of money right there and still give you the benefits of big flex and great ride.

I really like the genright setup with the flat belly design lcg and 4 link in the back and 3 up front plus you get like 13" of travel upfront and 15.5 in the back and tons of droop. Im trying to convince myself this is the one lol, just thought maybe there is a chance that there is a kit out there similar that is less $$.

You do realize that unlike the TJ before, the JK already has a pretty flat belly and really, your gas tank will still be the lowest part of your Jeep. Of course, to that end, in order to run the GenRight kit, you will need to replace your gas tank to make it work which adds more to the cost. Of course, there's a lot more cutting and welding that will be needed as well. But, if you're really wanting it, I say do it. I would love to see someone test it out.

I like dynatrac but i cant do $18k for axles.

If you're not going to be running 40's right away, I would still get the PR60 in the rear and get a PR44 up front. That'll get you going for a lot less and then when you're ready to play a lot harder, you can always sell your front axle and use the money you get from it to help pay for a PR60. I am currently running this setup now on my Dozer JK and with 37's. I even have a set of 40's I might play with but only on the rocks.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Well, you could still get the DTD kit but with just coil overs and not the bypass shocks. That'll save you a lot of money right there and still give you the benefits of big flex and great ride.

Eddie I've seen this mentioned as an option quite a few times on here. Def leaves open the option of upgrading by adding the triple bypass shocks later. In the mean time, what can be used as a bump stop when non running the bypass shocks? The wider mount tower the dtd uses looks like it rules out running the weld on bump stop mounts with king hyd bump stops. Sorry for the minor hijack, just curious.

Mjay

In my opinion, if you're not planning on bombing though the desert then you should be able to get excellent performance fir trails and rocks on a budget.

The evo bolt on coilover kit and long arms perform very well, and is a very complete kit. Hell if you know your way around tools and the jeep you can even install it yourself.

On the topic of axles, if you plan to run 37s first I would burn some c gussets into the stock 44s. You're not planning on ripping up the desert, which is extremely hard on them. Save up your pennies and get a pr60 up front, and a trail series 60 for the rear.

Eddie I've seen this mentioned as an option quite a few times on here. Def leaves open the option of upgrading by adding the triple bypass shocks later. In the mean time, what can be used as a bump stop when non running the bypass shocks? The wider mount tower the dtd uses looks like it rules out running the weld on bump stop mounts with king hyd bump stops. Sorry for the minor hijack, just curious.

You still keep your factory bump stops with the EVO Lever system but if you wanted more you could add the rock bumps that weld to the frame. If you're really thinking about adding the non bypass with air bumps just go bypass for a little more and be done. The install is quicker and you will not regret it.

IOn the topic of axles, if you plan to run 37s first I would burn some c gussets into the stock 44s. You're not planning on ripping up the desert, which is extremely hard on them. Save up your pennies and get a pr60 up front, and a trail series 60 for the rear.

and the debate begins :cheesy: don't take this wrong but this discussion has been had about a million times on here, with my buddies, etc. this is like talking politics with in-laws :D :crazyeyes:

jeeper52

LOSER
Thanks for the reply WOL. I understand what you are saying about the flat belly and relocating the fuel tank. The genright kit comes with the fuel cell included with the kit. Both the genright and dtd cost about the same. The only difference is i can install the genright kit myself and cut off all the stock brackets move the tank,run the breaklines,ect and sub the welding portion to my buddy who does mobile welding saving me a ton of laybor cost. I called evo direct and thet said under no circumstances try installing the dtd or even the Double d pro. I also asked evo if i could just run the coils without the extra bypass shock and they said they did not recommended that because they have a built in bump stop that im gonna need anyways and they are tuned to run together? Im not calling you a liar just telling you what they said. I just want a good suspension setup with a good ride,good travel and something i can install my self both because i enjoy working on things and to save labor cost. Im not def to the idea of doing the pro rock 60 in the rear and 44 upfront but if im not just totally bashing the living hell out of the jeep, picking careful lines and not trying to jump my way up a rock wouldn't the curries or dana's be a good middle ground? I mean im not racing koh or anything but i do plan on trails like moab rim,poisen spyder, goldbar rim ect. I just want something that i can drive from Colorado to moab, do some wheeling and not worrie about getting stranded because of a catastrophic axle failure without having to take a 2nd out on my house lol.

jeeper52

LOSER
Thanks for the replies everyone. Im doing some work around the house and writing back at the same time so by the time i reply so have 5 others lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply WOL. I understand what you are saying about the flat belly and relocating the fuel tank. The genright kit comes with the fuel cell included with the kit. Both the genright and dtd cost about the same. The only difference is i can install the genright kit myself and cut off all the stock brackets move the tank,run the breaklines,ect and sub the welding portion to my buddy who does mobile welding saving me a ton of laybor cost. I called evo direct and thet said under no circumstances try installing the dtd or even the Double d pro. I also asked evo if i could just run the coils without the extra bypass shock and they said they did not recommended that because they have a built in bump stop that im gonna need anyways and they are tuned to run together? Im not calling you a liar just telling you what they said. I just want a good suspension setup with a good ride,good travel and something i can install my self both because i enjoy working on things and to save labor cost.

Well, I can't argue with whatever you were told. Of course, with that said, I've seen the GenRight kit in person and it sure looked like a hell of a lot more work to install than an EVO DTD kit but hey, what do I know. If you want really easy do it your self stuff, the EVO bolt on kit is a cinch and it'll do what you are wanting and for a ton less. But, it's your Jeep and you should get whatever it is you want.

Im not def to the idea of doing the pro rock 60 in the rear and 44 upfront but if im not just totally bashing the living hell out of the jeep, picking careful lines and not trying to jump my way up a rock wouldn't the curries or dana's be a good middle ground? I mean im not racing koh or anything but i do plan on trails like moab rim,poisen spyder, goldbar rim ect. I just want something that i can drive from Colorado to moab, do some wheeling and not worrie about getting stranded because of a catastrophic axle failure without having to take a 2nd out on my house lol.

Like I said, the Ultimate 60 is a "P" part as in, it's sold as is. There is NO warranty offered with it. If you're okay with that, you'd be out to save a ton of money. As far as Currie axles go, all I can tell you is what I have seen on Jeeps that belong to friends of mine. When push came to shove, Currie would not warranty the breaks on their axles. Me, I like working with companies that stand behind their products and, even though you will most likely never need it, I can guarantee you that Dynatrac will stand behind theirs. But, it seems that you've already got an idea of what you're wanting and to that, I say just do it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Im not calling you a liar

LOL! That's comedy right there. :yup:

Im not def to the idea of doing the pro rock 60 in the rear and 44 upfront but if im not just totally bashing the living hell out of the jeep, picking careful lines and not trying to jump my way up a rock wouldn't the curries or dana's be a good middle ground? I mean im not racing koh or anything but i do plan on trails like moab rim,poisen spyder, goldbar rim ect. I just want something that i can drive from Colorado to moab, do some wheeling and not worrie about getting stranded because of a catastrophic axle failure without having to take a 2nd out on my house lol.

You sound like a very mature, cautious and responsible person. Why not just run your stock axles? :idontknow:

jeeper52

LOSER
Well, I can't argue with whatever you were told. Of course, with that said, I've seen the GenRight kit in person and it sure looked like a hell of a lot more work to install than an EVO DTD kit but hey, what do I know. If you want really easy do it your self stuff, the EVO bolt on kit is a cinch and it'll do what you are wanting and for a ton less. But, it's your Jeep and you should get whatever it is you want.

Like I said, the Ultimate 60 is a "P" part as in, it's sold as is. There is NO warranty offered with it. If you're okay with that, you'd be out to save a ton of money. As far as Currie axles go, all I can tell you is what I have seen on Jeeps that belong to friends of mine. When push came to shove, Currie would not warranty the breaks on their axles. Me, I like working with companies that stand behind their products and, even though you will most likely never need it, I can guarantee you that Dynatrac will stand behind theirs. But, it seems that you've already got an idea of what you're wanting and to that, I say just do it.

Unfortunately i have not seen either in person only online. The reason why genright said i could do it myself is because they said all the brackets are keyed into the frame so there is no confusion with measuring and and wondering if you are off a degree or two. Im not totally committed to the genright kit at all that's why i started this thread. Did you install the dtd kit on your jk WOL?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately i have not seen either in person only online. The reason why genright said i could do it myself is because they said all the brackets are keyed into the frame so there is no confusion with measuring and and wondering if you are off a degree or two. Im not totally committed to the genright kit at all that's why i started this thread.

LOL!! You need to talk to someone who's installed complex GenRight products. Send KenB1010 a PM and let him tell you just how keyed into anything they are. I should note that he IS a fan of GenRight but will tell it to you straight. If you're worried about precision, I would recommend that you give the EVO bolt-on kit a look as it's a no brainer and a lot cheaper.

Did you install the dtd kit on your jk WOL?

Nope. I'm not a very good welder so I had ORE do the work on both my JK's but was present during the install.

jeeper52

LOSER
LOL! That's comedy right there. :yup:

You sound like a very mature, cautious and responsible person. Why not just run your stock axles? :idontknow:

lol i honestly wasn't calling him a Liar at all. Its just he said something different than the manufacturer. Im sure both are right, maybe you can just run the coil overs without the bypass shocks and tune the coil overs accordingly?? To answer your question on why i dont run with the stock axles. I came from the utv polaris rzr crowd. I always found myself going on the harder more difficult trails and didn't necessarily have to worry about breaking because if i did i knew i could usually limp my way back to the trailer and haul it home. With the jeep since its my only way of transportation i cant risk a breakdown and getting stranded because i went on something my jeep wasn't ready for. Just thought since my axles are new and i can realize some money for them that i would do 60's right off the bat for a little extra insurance. Maybe im over analyzing all of this lol

JAGS

Hooked
HI everyone! I just picked up a 2015 jeep rubicon hard rock a week ago. Ive been doing a lot of research on what lift/axle combo to go with and I'm still having a hard time deciding.....

Funny how the title says "BEST," yet we are contemplating so many things. Is it BEST for my budget. BEST for my wheeling style. BEST based on R&D?

For a JK the BEST is clearly DTD with a PR60/80 set up. That's what will be recommended and suggested because it has been proven over and over. Seen any JKX vids lately???

Seems like your mind is set on wanting to try out some new things and to go with the curries. If you want to run these, go for it. And then share with us your thoughts and frustrations later.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
You still keep your factory bump stops with the EVO Lever system but if you wanted more you could add the rock bumps that weld to the frame. If you're really thinking about adding the non bypass with air bumps just go bypass for a little more and be done. The install is quicker and you will not regret it.

I should have clarified, I mean a bumpstop on the front, doesn't even need to be the king air bumps, just any bumpstop. The DTD coilover towers appear to leave little room for a bump stop to be added.

Top Bottom