Synthetic Oil

canuck679

Waiting on my first Jeep which is going to be my first new vehicle with more then 2 wheels. With any of my new bikes I've waited until 5000kms before switching from petroleum to synthetics to allow the rings to properly seat in. Many newer bikes have some break-in at the factory and call for synthetic from day 1. What's everyone opinions on the topic here concerning the JK? Wait 5k or run synthetic from my 1st change?

Cheers

Mjay

Whatever comes in it I would run throughout the break in period, then switch to synthetic.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
x3! As a side note, when it comes to synthetic, I have always preferred Mobil1. That said, Mobil1 does not have the Chrysler MS-6395 "stamp" on it. This could be a sticking point if you ever ran into an engine related warranty claim.

Congrats on the new Jeep and be sure to post some pictures! :)

Brankz

x3! As a side note, when it comes to synthetic, I have always preferred Mobil1. That said, Mobil1 does not have the Chrysler MS-6395 "stamp" on it. This could be a sticking point if you ever ran into an engine related warranty claim.

Congrats on the new Jeep and be sure to post some pictures! :)

What's the oil that jeep recommends for the jk?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
What's the oil that jeep recommends for the jk?

I can only speak for the 2012+ 3.6L, but Jeep recommends 5W20. Since my first oil change, I have been running Penziol Platinum 5W20 synthetic. While at the parts counter of two dealerships in the area, I noticed that is their advertised oil of choice as well. That said, I was at a different dealer where they offered Mobil1, so who knows! :doh:

el_chupo_

I can only speak for the 2012+ 3.6L, but Jeep recommends 5W20. Since my first oil change, I have been running Penziol Platinum 5W20 synthetic. While at the parts counter of two dealerships in the area, I noticed that is their advertised oil of choice as well. That said, I was at a different dealer where they offered Mobil1, so who knows! :doh:

I believe the change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 occurred in 2013, as my 2012 manual and their app show 5w-30 as recommended.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I believe the change from 5w-30 to 5w-20 occurred in 2013, as my 2012 manual and their app show 5w-30 as recommended.

I stand corrected. I made the mistake of assuming all of the 3.6s would run the same oil. Sounds to me like an engineer at Jeep trying to squeeze a little more MPG with the lighter oil.

utiadam

LOSER
Im assuming mine came with regular oil from the factory and I did the first free oil change at the dealer at 3k miles. I'm assuming they used regular oil too. Since 6k miles I have used full synthetic every 3k.

Mjay

I stand corrected. I made the mistake of assuming all of the 3.6s would run the same oil. Sounds to me like an engineer at Jeep trying to squeeze a little more MPG with the lighter oil.

I remember reading a big thing about that a while ago. The idea of it all was someone claming exactly what you said, using a lighter oil to squeeze out a little more mileage. I know the 3.8 is recommended 5w20 but I've found 5w30 to be better suited for summer temperaturs. I've also read of people using 5w30 and having less issues with ticking and oil consumption. Usually never hurts to go to a thicker oil, unless temps are chilly and you're starting it quite cold.

Tanner505

I run what the cap says it's not worth getting a warranty voided over a thicker oil Imo but that's just mee

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Im assuming mine came with regular oil from the factory and I did the first free oil change at the dealer at 3k miles. I'm assuming they used regular oil too. Since 6k miles I have used full synthetic every 3k.

Why waste money on synthetic if you change it every 3k miles? Seems like a waste of money.

USMC Wrangler

The dealership told me when I bought my '13 with 51 miles on it to "run it until the light comes on" in reference to the first oil change. I called again when I hit 6000 miles and was told that there are some additional additives in the first dose of oil from the factory. How true that is, I cannot confirm. At 7000 miles and no light, I got nervous and changed the oil. (No dealerships or oil change places for 100+ miles from me one way) Since I forgot to "reset" the oil life thing with the gas pedal dance the light finally turned on at about 9500 miles. 6k-7k miles is the max I've ever run, even on synthetic. Last oil change was at 14,000 miles and I've been running Royal Purple since the first change I did.

I was going to use Mobil 1 because my last F150 had almost 200,000 miles on it without any internal engine issues and using that oil. Then I somehow found the bulletin with the approved oils. Royal Purple was on there and I can get it shipped to my house. Under warranty I continue to use the designated 5W20. :twocents:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Why waste money on synthetic if you change it every 3k miles? Seems like a waste of money.

100% agree. The only reason to change synthetic early is when your Jeep has been exposed to rougher conditions such as lots of dust. I got back from a 4 day trip trough Death Valley and I immediately changed the oil. It only had about 2,500mi on it since its last change, but the trip was 500mi of nothing but dusty roads playing follow the leader.

Mjay

Synthetic has benefits other than a long life. Being synthetic all the molecules are identical, and very small in comparison with Dino oil. If you run synthetic from the start your internal clearances will remain tighter while still getting proper lubrication, and it's also better for your engine on cold starts, among other things.

Top Bottom