Body Mounted Tire Carrier Debate

FastZach

Looking at adding a body mounted tire carrier to the Jeep. As of now I am contemplating 3 choices: EVO, Genright, and Poison Spyder.

EVO is the most expensive (I don't know why though) but you get corner guards. Genright I've heard is solid but no ability to add rotopax or highlift easily. Poison Spyder is new and the way to locks to the Jeep doesn't look super solid.

Question is, what do you have or what would you get? Would you do it over again?

If you have the new Poison Spyder carrier, post up a review or what you think about it.

I don't run a tire carrier. All the carriers you listed will hold a big tire with no problems. The question to be answered is which carrier can support the weight of you Jeep when landed on or dragged up or down a ledge. For this reason alone I would go with the EVO Carrier. I'm not saying the others would fail but I have seen the EVO carrier in extreme conditions and it performs as it should. My opinion is the more it is tied into the tailgate for ease of operation the more chances you have of problems. EVO is built for off road use not just to hold the tire. Just my 2 cents :beer:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I like Poison Spyder, they make great products and for the most part, ones that are good looking as well but honestly, as much as I'm sure their new tire carrier works, it sure is butt ugly. GenRight makes a solid tire carrier and doesn't require rear armor so if you're on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to go this route. Of course, I run EVO on both my JK's and have punished them and on Moby, with a stupid heavy 40x15.50 Toyo mounted on an ATX Slab. I have even installed a 4 gal rotopax to it AND a Hi-Lift jack on it. The best part is, it comes with 4 spare Johnny Joints that you can pull and use if needed on the trail. :yup:

KenB1010

EVO I believe is the strongest, but also very heavy. EVO does offer their corners in aluminum now so it's possible to save some weight there. I have no experience with Poison Spyder. I personaly went with GenRight's tire carrier. It comes in Aluminum and is light enough that even with a 38" tire my wife was able to easily open and close it. I was impressed with how well Genright's carrier held up in my rollover TC last year. Genright offers mounts to carry a high lift from their carrier, but I know of no one that uses it that way. It may also be possible to mount a Roto-Pac off of the back of genrights carrior, but I havent looked at this possibility in detail. I'll probably go with Genright on my new carrior.

Ah2014jk

I know this wasn't an option in your list but I run the OR fab one on mine. It isn't cheep but it has no issues with squeak or rattles ( not saying any of the mentioned ones do and I love the look of the EVO one ) plus it's not overly heavy, comes with 2 rotopax behind the tire and a highlight mount as well as CB antenna mount. Plus it hold a 40" just fine ( it's an older pic with my 37s )
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425431858.861729.jpg

FastZach

I like Poison Spyder, they make great products and for the most part, ones that are good looking as well but honestly, as much as I'm sure their new tire carrier works, it sure is butt ugly. GenRight makes a solid tire carrier and doesn't require rear armor so if you're on a budget, I wouldn't hesitate to go this route. Of course, I run EVO on both my JK's and have punished them and on Moby, with a stupid heavy 40x15.50 Toyo mounted on an ATX Slab. I have even installed a 4 gal rotopax to it AND a Hi-Lift jack on it. The best part is, it comes with 4 spare Johnny Joints that you can pull and use if needed on the trail. :yup:

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Would you say the EVO one is more $$$ because it uses Johnny Joints?? Not really on a budget but need to justify the extra money, ya know?

Thanks for the replies everyone.. Would you say the EVO one is more $$$ because it uses Johnny Joints?? Not really on a budget but need to justify the extra money, ya know?

That's a tough question to truly answer. It requires skins, new brake lights, it has 4 Johnny joints and collars, its a ton of 1.75" tubing, it's built extremely well, etc. not saying the others aren't built tough but EVO MFG has a cost on the product and that sort of determines a ball park price. After running stock, an LOD (not in the category you're looking at) and a EVO I can say I would spend the money on the EVO again. I'm sure others are happy with the PSC and Gen Right I've just never used them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If you need to justify why the strongest american made carrier is the price it is just by a smittybilt.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I had the genright steel for 2+ years and never had an issue, also hit it hard on some rocks and never had an issue. Only pulled it to finally install Evo skins and will be ordering the carrier soon. You can mount a rotopax on the genright.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425485018.220251.jpg

I agree with Eddie that the poison spyder new carrier that is very similar to genright is ugly, but it does open a little easier, and that's the one part I don't see as strong for the latch side, but that's just me.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
EVO I believe is the strongest, but also very heavy. EVO does offer their corners in aluminum now so it's possible to save some weight there. I have no experience with Poison Spyder. I personaly went with GenRight's tire carrier. It comes in Aluminum and is light enough that even with a 38" tire my wife was able to easily open and close it.

Not sure what you mean by weight and it making a difference in how easy or hard it is to open one of these. In terms of the EVO carrier, you can adjust it to open however you want and little Cindy was easily able to open and close the one we have on Moby even back when we were running 40x15.50 Mud Grapplers mounted on ATX Slabs. :idontknow:

Of course, this is not to say that the GenRight carrier isn't a good choice too.

Not sure what you mean by weight and it making a difference in how easy or hard it is to open one of these. In terms of the EVO carrier, you can adjust it to open however you want and little Cindy was easily able to open and close the one we have on Moby even back when we were running 40x15.50 Mud Grapplers mounted on ATX Slabs. :idontknow:

I agree. My wife has no problem at all opening or closing mine.

Top Bottom