AZ Schnelby Hill Rd Trip 3/21

AZRockJK

I'm planning to head out to Schnelby Hill Road (Jeep 'Badge of Honor') with a few friends and wanted to offer an invite to anyone that may want to come. From what I read it's an easy trail that my stock jeep shouldn't have any issues with but the scenery is worth the ride for anyone that wants to come along. If interested let me know. Ill update this thread with more details as the date gets closer.

Difficulty: Easy.

Description: Towering red rock buttes set against a backdrop of deep-green forest and clear blue sky make this road one of Arizona’s most photogenic. The road climbs over 2,200 feet from Sedona to the top of massive Mogollon Rim. Memorable hiking trails depart from several places along the road, and dispersed camping is allowed above Vista Point. The drive is impressive in either direction. Elk may be seen before sunset. Mountain bikers looking for an easy day will enjoy the ride down. If you park, hike, or stop along the route, you’ll need a Red Rocks Pass. Signs recommend only trucks or off-highway vehicles, but cars (not low-slung) can make it in good weather. Although the road is wide and well-maintained, expect a bumpy ride. Much of the lower portion is a shelf road. This road is closed during the winter.

Time & Distance: About 12 miles one way. The road can be driven in an hour but allow much more time, you’ll want to stop many times.

Trail Conditions: Coconino National Forest, Red Rock Ranger District. Call 928 203-7500.

Directions to the Trail:

From the top: Get off I-17 at exit 320 (Schnelby Hill Road) and head west on a short paved road. Bear left on a well marked dirt road at the first turn. We will meet up at 10 AM at the beginning of the dirt road to prep for the ride. Bring some food for lunch and we'll pick a spot along the ride to grab a bite and enjoy the view on the way into Sedona.

Red Rocks Pass information: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5416207

Attending:

AZRockJK and 1 guest
piefra

Maybe:
RC3

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have been there and it is a nice trip, love that whole area. Take lots of pictures.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Schnebly is a fun/easy/scenic trip for a JK. I'd recommend going north on I-17 to Exit 320. The scenery going down into Sedona is fantastic. Enjoy!
Schnebly.jpg
From Schnebly Hill Road. Sedona is in the distance. The Road below is Oak Creek Canyon.

AZRockJK

Schnebly is a fun/easy/scenic trip for a JK. I'd recommend going north on I-17 to Exit 320. The scenery going down into Sedona is fantastic. Enjoy!
View attachment 128644
From Schnebly Hill Road. Sedona is in the distance. The Road below is Oak Creek Canyon.

Great pic! Here is another I found that'll give an idea off how beautiful this trip is!

Attachments

• 1425563857926.jpg
    1425563857926.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 118

RC3

I'm planning to head out to Schnelby Hill Road (Jeep 'Badge of Honor') with a few friends and wanted to offer an invite to anyone that may want to come. From what I read it's an easy trail that my stock jeep shouldn't have any issues with but the scenery is worth the ride for anyone that wants to come along. If interested let me know. Ill update this thread with more details as the date gets closer.

Difficulty: Easy.

Description: Towering red rock buttes set against a backdrop of deep-green forest and clear blue sky make this road one of Arizona’s most photogenic. The road climbs over 2,200 feet from Sedona to the top of massive Mogollon Rim. Memorable hiking trails depart from several places along the road, and dispersed camping is allowed above Vista Point. The drive is impressive in either direction. Elk may be seen before sunset. Mountain bikers looking for an easy day will enjoy the ride down. If you park, hike, or stop along the route, you’ll need a Red Rocks Pass. Signs recommend only trucks or off-highway vehicles, but cars (not low-slung) can make it in good weather. Although the road is wide and well-maintained, expect a bumpy ride. Much of the lower portion is a shelf road. This road is closed during the winter.

Time & Distance: About 12 miles one way. The road can be driven in an hour but allow much more time, you’ll want to stop many times.

Trail Conditions: Coconino National Forest, Red Rock Ranger District. Call 928 203-7500.

Directions to the Trail:
From the bottom: From the intersection of Highways 89A and 179 in Sedona, drive south 0.4 miles on Hwy 179. Turn left immediately after crossing the Oak Creek Bridge on a well marked paved road.
From the top: Get off I-17 at exit 320 and head west on a short paved road. Bear left on a well marked dirt road at the first turn.

Attending:

sharky90
piefra

Hey sharky, do you have a planned meeting place or time yet. I am interested in the run, with my wife & daughter, but it is a 2 hour drive for us to Sedona. So I'm just trying to decide if I can drive up in the morning or plan to stay in the area Friday night. What are your plans?

AZRockJK

Hey sharky, do you have a planned meeting place or time yet. I am interested in the run, with my wife & daughter, but it is a 2 hour drive for us to Sedona. So I'm just trying to decide if I can drive up in the morning or plan to stay in the area Friday night. What are your plans?

Hey RC3! Just updated OP with meet up details and time. If you can make it out to camp the night before, I'd definitely recommend it as there are some great campgrounds all around this area (check out the red rocks pass link for more info). I may come out Friday night to camp but can't quite commit to that yet due to a possible work obligation.

Looking forward to meeting everyone on Saturday!

AZRockJK

Got news today that my work event isn't until Sunday so no rush to get back on Saturday! Depending on how everyone is feeling after Schnelby Hill, Im hoping we can add on a run through Broken Arrow Trail!

RC3

We will be there at 1000 and ready to go. A second trail after lunch sounds good to me, see you Saturday!

RC3

Got news today that my work event isn't until Sunday so no rush to get back on Saturday! Depending on how everyone is feeling after Schnelby Hill, Im hoping we can add on a run through Broken Arrow Trail!

So I just looked up the Broken Arrow Trail and I REALLY want to do that! Hope we have enough time.

AZRockJK

Thanks to piefra and RC3 for coming out for this trip! Unfortunately, Schnelby Hill Road was still closed while the winter conditions clear up on the higher elevation areas of the road. However, Broken Arrow Trail in Sedona, AZ was open so we headed that way and had a blast on the rocks while seeing some truly amazing scenery. Here's a few pics from my phone. I'll post more up when I get the majority of them from my friends' phones.

Airing down.jpg

Going up.jpg

Panoramic.jpg

Coming down The Steps

RC3

Hey guys, just wanted to post a few pics and say thanks - we had a great time in Sedona.
20150321_113837 f.jpg

20150321_125107.jpg

IMG_20150321_113917525 f.jpg

After you all left, we headed over to Soldier Pass and we found this - a very large sink hole that has caved in over the years.
IMG_20150321_152426612.jpg

IMG_20150321_152342546_HDR f.jpg

And my personal favorite - my daughter "rock crawling"
20150321_123811 f.jpg

AZRockJK

Great pics y'all! Thanks for sharing! RC3 I've heard of the sinkhole. It looks pretty amazing! Ill have to plan a run out to that as well :)

Top Bottom