California DMV Requirements for fender flares

freebug

Does anyone know what the CA and NV DMV requires for fender flares? I want to get the SmityBilt XRC Fender Flares but my wheels will be more or less "open".

I drive the JK to Panoche Hills and into Nevada pretty often and need to know what is permissible in both states.

Thanks.
Al

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You're screwed in CA but totally fine in NV. Ask me how I know.

For most cops, mud flaps will help keep you out of trouble. Most of the trouble you will have are with the white CHP cars as they are code enforcement guys. By the letter, they can hit you for not having fenders covering your tires regardless if you have mud flaps. Again, ask me how I know.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Utah is a lot like CA. You NEED mud flaps IF you are running tires that stick out past your fenders.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
So just a bit of a technicality question. If a CA cop writes a fix it ticket for tires sticking out past the fenders and mud flaps aren't enough, what's the fix? Borrow a buddy's set of factory tires for an hour and get it signed off?

Just thinking of all the fun that comes along with my new Slabs! :)

It annoys me when a state expects an out-of-stater to know what their revised codes are and alter their vehicle to pass through. :mad:

My vehicle is licensed in OH, it passes Ohio revised codes (mostly). At least PA which is crazy strict leaves me alone when I'm there. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So are we talking a fix it ticket or a fine?

If you live in the state that you are getting the ticket in, you can "fix it" and have it signed off. If you are from out of state, it's a "fine".

So flaps for the pilgrimage. I was going to leave them home. :thinking::grayno:

You can leave yours at home if you want :yup:

But as far as fenders go what is the requirements on those?

You cannot have your tires extend beyond the fenders... AT ALL. Most cops won't give you grief if you're just a little out or if you're even running a full width bumper BUT, if you're running 37's or larger and with a stubby bumper, your tires will stick out like a sore thumb. MOST of the tickets I've gotten have been from CHP and south orange county cops like down around Dana Point. Most Sherriff and local PD's will leave you alone or will stop to talk to you about your Jeep :yup:

So just a bit of a technicality question. If a CA cop writes a fix it ticket for tires sticking out past the fenders and mud flaps aren't enough, what's the fix? Borrow a buddy's set of factory tires for an hour and get it signed off?

Just thinking of all the fun that comes along with my new Slabs! :)

Technically, yeah, that is something you can do. I've only had 1 instance where I was pulled over for my fenders EVEN THOUGH I had mud flaps but the cop was cool and just let me off with a warning. I've also had 1 instance where I got pulled over for not having mud flaps on and, when I went to get it written off at a local CHP station, the officer give me crap about my fenders and almost didn't write the ticket off. You're best bet is to live in a state like Nevada or have a friend who happens to be a cop help out.

It annoys me when a state expects an out-of-stater to know what their revised codes are and alter their vehicle to pass through. :mad:

My vehicle is licensed in OH, it passes Ohio revised codes (mostly). At least PA which is crazy strict leaves me alone when I'm there. :yup:

For the most part, CA will leave me alone now that I have NV plates. The only time I still get grief are along certain routes up in the mountains. As far as UT goes, forget it. If you go to a place like Moab without flaps during EJS, you'll get pulled over for sure.

freebug

I think this is the only pertinent vehicle rule in CA. Been reading since I found the link. Dang.... What are the penalties like?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?..._content_en/dmv/pubs/vctop/vc/d12/c5/a5/27600

Fenders and Mudguards

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

Funny thing; everyone seems concerned about a Jeep with no flaps or fenders kicking up rocks. I've been in several convoys with no issue (even long runs on gravel and dirt roads).

....but, I've replaced two windshields on my Jeeps because a rock was kicked up on the interstate. One from a Honda Accord in PA, and one from a Ford Escape in TN. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom