Gear Oil for 5.13 Gears?

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Getting regeared next week to 5.13s in my Rubi axles. Running 37" tires and will do a lot of highway driving on the hilly highways in CA.

Should I be running 75w90 or 85w140. Drew at ORE says the heavier weight is what they run and I'm in agreement based on my driving. However, just curious what the group thinks.

Thanks!

Good to hear. I can see the benefits of the thicker oil when it comes to the high speed and heat generated by the faster gear speeds.

Curious, synthetic?

Well I heard that a synthetic oil can hurt the arb locker seals so I run non synthetic valvoline 85w140.

t8er

I run 75/90 up front and 85/140 in the rear. That's what jeep uses if you have the tow package because of higher heat etc so 85/140

toxicwaste29

I run royal purple in mine. Its 90w I believe. I don't have lockers. Its the same stuff I run in my muscle car. I did send an email to royal purple once about water in the oil and they said just let it sit on a bucket for some time. The water and mud sinks to the bottom of the bucket then just drain out the good gear oil and reuse it. Of course I'm sure the same applies to any oil.

Mjay

I run royal purple in mine. Its 90w I believe. I don't have lockers. Its the same stuff I run in my muscle car. I did send an email to royal purple once about water in the oil and they said just let it sit on a bucket for some time. The water and mud sinks to the bottom of the bucket then just drain out the good gear oil and reuse it. Of course I'm sure the same applies to any oil.

Or you could just change all of it. Don't know about everyone else here, but if it's obviously contaminated with water and muddy crap I don't want any of that crap in my gears or expensive locker.

toxicwaste29

Ya that's the other side of the story. I always just replace mine with fresh stuff. Just passing along what was told to me.

Tigrcky

I thought friction modifier was only necessary with a limited slip and not with a locker? Do I have that wrong?

All the tech notes for oem lockers have mentioned a modifer, some oils already have them ie if labeled for limited slip diffs or lockers

Tanner505

I thought friction modifier was only necessary with a limited slip and not with a locker? Do I have that wrong?

They DO NOT need the modifier if you have lockers if you have limited slips you do need it, all synthetics have friction modifier in them

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
All the tech notes for oem lockers have mentioned a modifer, some oils already have them ie if labeled for limited slip diffs or lockers

What tech notes? If the oil has it in it that's one thing, but I really don't think it needs to be added. The lockers do not have any sort of friction type clutches in them; only a mechanical locking ring.

Tigrcky

What tech notes? If the oil has it in it that's one thing, but I really don't think it needs to be added. The lockers do not have any sort of friction type clutches in them; only a mechanical locking ring.

Look automatic lockers do, I'm actually an ase certified mechanic. Don't like to say it much cause then people really pour the hate on, selectable lockers don't need it but automatic ones do and limited slips but like I said most oils already have it added

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Look automatic lockers do, I'm actually an ase certified mechanic. Don't like to say it much cause then people really pour the hate on, selectable lockers don't need it but automatic ones do and limited slips but like I said most oils already have it added

Not trying to hate, I promise! Just trying to understand what is necessary. The lockers in the Rubicon are not automatic. I think it's a moot point since I'll probably be running synthetic anyways, but a good discussion nonetheless.

:beer::beer:

Tigrcky

Not trying to hate, I promise! Just trying to understand what is necessary. The lockers in the Rubicon are not automatic. I think it's a moot point since I'll probably be running synthetic anyways, but a good discussion nonetheless.

:beer::beer:

Awesome and I'd go 85w140

Top Bottom