P0306 error code questions

Mitrig

Ok so i know this has been discussed before plenty of times, but regardless I'm going to say what my situation is because i have been told things that aren't lining up with info I'm finding:

so my rig on the way home from them shop, after about 20 min from filling up at a station in the country side I've never filled from before began to miss fire. i am not sure if it happened to be a coincidence or not but that is besides the point. So i got a p0306 cylinder 6 miss fire code. got home erased it and went to see if it came back, sure enough it did. at low rpms of around 2200 or less it won't show up, past that it will ding and start flashing, the second i begin to slow down it will disappear again. So I was told to first check the coil pack and sure enough my coil pack had been changed before (wasn't oem) we swapped the pack out onto another rig to test it and sure enough it didn't work. so i bought a new one and installed it the next day, sure enough the light stayed on, i added fuel cleaner, and the one form of booster my father uses then went and cranked in some fresh new fuel. i had noticed that the jeep was struggling with starting making an almost coughing noise before starting but figured that wa due to the weather, I'm always on game when it comes to maintaining my rig, il changed every 5000kms, fluids all check and topped up but what i noticed when i went under the hood was that:

1. oil levels were down to almost nothing on the dipstick
2. engine coolant was almost at 0

i had topped everything up the last oil change so I'm just lost. a few mechanics i know said to change the cam shaft position sensor next since at high rpms ex 5K the check engine light turns off, and stops flashing. then they said to get all new plugs and start fresh.

but from what I've read some say it could be the cylinder head, others say a sticking valve.

plus when i disconnect the plug from the coil pack to cylinder 6 it actually started idling better, the vibrations stopped and you could hear it was smoother (i have an after market exhaust so its loud to begin with so you could hear the miss fire easily)

im a student, its my dd, and its not under warranty. I've done all the work on it myself, I'm not one to take it in since i don't trust the local shmucks to be honest. they fucked up once with me and never again. i would appreciate the feed back and any opinions on the matter in hand.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I had a similar story to yours and what intrigues me the most is the missing coolant. Since it's not on the ground, in the passenger compartment or crank case that leaves really only one place for it to go - out the exhaust. My story included pulling the head and finding a defect (deep scratch or gouge) in the machined surface that sits on the head gasket that ran from the cooling jacket to the cylinder. It took 11 years for compression and coolant to chip and eat away at the gasket until small amount of coolant would leak into the cylinder. After taking the head to work to clean, inspect for cracks (Magna Flux) and re-surfacing it was ready to be installed with new gaskets. A simple check is when the engine is cold, have someone else start it up while you watch the exhaust pipe. Look for white smoke and that sweet coolant smell. If you have that then at least you know where your coolant is going. Good Luck!

Top Bottom