Thinking of not getting a tire carrier how to I secure my spare in the back ?

Brod

As the tittle says I'm thinking of not going with a carrier just bumper on my 2014 jku I'm just wondering how to strap it in the back also how to lock it there so it dosing get stolen at 420$ a tire I really would hate to get one stolen. Should I only run spare in the trails or all the time I have slant back soft top for summer and hard top winter.

Also looking at poison spider carrier just don't want to much stress on the body

Running 35 now will be getting 37 next year

Thanks for all the help

Ps: I'm a newbie when it comes to jeep's. Before my jeep I was building Honda drag cars

Speeddmn

Get a new rear bumper with a tire carrier to keep the weight off the tailgate. Plenty of folks have a 35 inch tire on the factory carrier with proper hardware, just use the search function and plenty will come up. Or get a body mounted carrier from GenRight or EVO.

You will wish you had that spare once you get a flat somewhere...

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
although its not for me (i like the spare on the outside of my jeep) Branman does has a cool set up for his spare. personally, i wouldn't want to go anywhere without a spare so i would at least throw it in the back if you didn't want a tire carrier.

blazer

Caught the Bug
Thanks Branman, like the idea and plan to do.
Couple of questions
1. Is the Rear Bench Harness Bar that you used for a 2 door? or 4 door?, see you have a 4 door, but listed the one
for a 2 door.
2. Is there a bit of a gap between the tire in the tub and the tail gate? I have ORE trail table.
Hope to see your set up at one of the meet n' greets. Thanks

toxicwaste29

I prefer the spare inside however would never do it for the space taken up. I would rather have room for tools and equipment rather than worry about looks of how the rear tire is

Thanks Branman, like the idea and plan to do.
Couple of questions
1. Is the Rear Bench Harness Bar that you used for a 2 door? or 4 door?, see you have a 4 door, but listed the one
for a 2 door.

My bad - yes for a 4 Door (fixed the link)

2. Is there a bit of a gap between the tire in the tub and the tail gate? I have ORE trail table.
Hope to see your set up at one of the meet n' greets. Thanks

It is tight but a trail table should fit - It depends on how low the ratchet is. I will take some pics and measure later today.

Last edited:
Reference Trail Table - Looks like should be enough room - there is 2 1/4 inch gap.

Note: Remember I removed the cubby cover and my tire is sitting in the recess.

2015-03-11 10.14.24.jpg

2015-03-11 10.14.49.jpg

Top Bottom