axle seal leak?

desertrunner

starting to deconstruct my front end to do new ball joints and a DL flip kit and when i pulled my front driver axle this is what it looks like

IMAG4837[1].jpg
IMAG4838[1].jpg

got kinda a black sludge look and feel do it. I didnt have any active leaks or at least not that i noticed coming from the shafts before this so maybe its just a really tiny leak? I also have poison spyder diff covers that are a bit tough to tell when its full or over filled so maybe that could have something to do with it? But i am pretty sure the shaft is supposed to be dry right??? (so to speak :cheesy:) confirm my suspicion about an inner seal leak?

Last edited:
with how much its leaking is it a pressing issue to get new seals in there? or will i be fine to put it off for a while?

If you are not noticing puddles you could likely put it off for a bit... This said, now that you have pulled the shaft re-installation through the same seal will likely result in a larger leak.

Personally, I would tackle it now while a bunch of the work is done (shafts out) over take the risk.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It's not normally a diy job unless you can set gears. You need to pull the ring and pinion out to replace the seals.

The gears shouldn't need reset as long as the shims are kept track of and everything goes back in the way it came out. But I agree that you will need some tools that most shade tree mechanics do not have.

desertrunner

The gears shouldn't need reset as long as the shims are kept track of and everything goes back in the way it came out. But I agree that you will need some tools that most shade tree mechanics do not have.

i helped a buddy do a regear on an XJ a year back and it was the biggest PITA ever and we had a lift stall with tons of nice shop tools at out disposal, i do not have access to that anymore so it sounds like it will have to be a job for someone else another day, ill just keep an eye out for further leaks. Thank you for the responses

Mjay

Replacing an axle seal isn't that big of a deal as long as you keep track of which side the shims and bearing caps came from. Could be done in an afternoon if mechanically inclined.

desertrunner

Replacing an axle seal isn't that big of a deal as long as you keep track of which side the shims and bearing caps came from. Could be done in an afternoon if mechanically inclined.

mechanically inclined..... yeah not bad. but not stocked in the tool department and if there is anything i have learned by working on jeeps the last 3 years (yeah yeah i know im young ;)) the right tool makes all the difference

keno4x4

I nicked my seal when changing out the ball joints and inserting the axle shaft. The bad thing is if gear oil can get out, and you get in deep enough water, it could get in. Took about 4 hrs to replace both seals in my driveway.

desertrunner

I nicked my seal when changing out the ball joints and inserting the axle shaft. The bad thing is if gear oil can get out, and you get in deep enough water, it could get in. Took about 4 hrs to replace both seals in my driveway.

what tools did you use to do it? not sure exactly where the seals are at but im assuming some big prybar to get the carrier out and some big mallets to get the old ones out and the new ones in? no press should be needed since i dont need new shims of bearings. I also have a Rubi so gotta work with that E locker in there so i am not sure what that all entails. I have only pulled the carrier on an XJ running a detroit type auto locker and i remember it taking a large pry bar and some really big rubber mallets.

Wethy

gonna bump this thread but i saw this today. pretty sure its the shaft seal. but i thought id get a second opinion.....

20150606_142318.jpg

Top Bottom