Anyone powder coat their half or full doors? Pics?

jk12blk

I recently purchased a set of mopar jk half doors. I’m debating whether to have them professionally painted (~$200-$300 per door), DIY paint or have them powder coated for $50 per door. From a cost, time, labor, and trail abuse perspective, the powder coat option seems like the way to go.

The powder coat company explained they would first strip the factor ecoat primer to ensure a good powder coat bond to the metal. From a thickness perspective, I’m told powder coat is roughly 3 mil where paint is roughly 2 mil, so I don’t think the thickness of the powder coat would cause any issues. Apparently, there are a few flavors of powder coat (flat, semi-gloss, etc) – thinking a contrast to my factory black paint would look best.

Anyway, I’m curious if anyone has photos to share of their powder coated half or full doors. Just trying to get a feel for how they look against the factory paint (any color).

Thanks!

MTG

Caught the Bug
The powder coat will not match your paint exactly. If that matters to you. DIY. :thumb:

jk12blk

The powder coat will not match your paint exactly. If that matters to you. DIY. :thumb:
Completely agree regarding the powder coat which is why I think a bit more contrast would look better. And although I think I could get the DIY close to the factory look, I'm worried it will not match in the end. I agree with everyone else the 200-300 per door is excessive. I only checked a few places around El Dorado Hills and Shingle Springs today, so I'll shop around a bit more tomorrow. I appreciate all the feedback. thanks

Wardell

Subscribed as well, since I'm considering getting the same half doors this spring.

I've actually thought about using the air compressor I'm planning on installing in my Jeep (an ARB dual compessor), getting a sprayer (I've seen a decient kit that includes one with other air tools I'd want), and painting them myself. I'd still want to get protective film put on them to keep them from getting chipped and scratched up by brush though, so if I'm doing that I might as well get them professionally painted while I'm at it... unless I can also put the film on myself too.

I haven't gotten as far as shoping around for quotes, but I agree that $200-$300 per door does sound way too high. I'm sure you can find someone out there who can do better.

Compshooter

You already spent a premium to get oem doors, just save up a bit more and have them professionally done with MOPAR paint so they match. They will be worth even more if you ever decide to sell them.

jk12blk

Update: I went with the gloss powder coat option. Using the VW hub caps as a guide, the gloss option looked very close to the factory paint (photo below). The flat and semi gloss (60%) options looked ok, but I thought the gloss was the way to go. Who knows, things may look a lot different once the entire door is sprayed and installed. If all goes well, I should be able to pick up my doors tomorrow and build them over the weekend. Otherwise, this will carry over into next week. Either way, I'll post photos once I install my doors for those who are interested.

Capture.jpg

jk12blk

Everyone, the powder worked out well. Looks great IMO. $240 versus $1,200 for the paint quotes (which was crazy high). Have to throw a shout out to TNT powder coat in Shingle Springs for those of you who may consider a similar path and live in the general area.

Capture.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Everyone, the powder worked out well. Looks great IMO. $240 versus $1,200 for the paint quotes (which was crazy high). Have to throw a shout out to TNT powder coat in Shingle Springs for those of you who may consider a similar path and live in the general area.

View attachment 134892

do you have a build thread? interested in your set up.:thumb:

jk12blk

do you have a build thread? interested in your set up.:thumb:
I do, but it's limited with a few random photos. I need to leave now for the trail, but will add more "build" related photos this weekend to give you a better idea for what was involved. I think I named my build thread "Burners Build." thanks Olram! :beer:

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
I stopped by the dealer for another free oil change and while i was waiting i went over to the paint and body department and asked for a quote on painting my half doors (4).....it came out to just over $600 which kinda surprised me.....not a bad price......I'll check on the powder coat price this w/e and see what they'll charge me and then go from there....

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I do, but it's limited with a few random photos. I need to leave now for the trail, but will add more "build" related photos this weekend to give you a better idea for what was involved. I think I named my build thread "Burners Build." thanks Olram! :beer:

Cool, looks interesting! No rush, I like build threads.:thumbup:

$200-300 per door? Shop around.

I have a set of factory half doors I need painted or powder coated as well. I have a 2 door, and its silver, but Im happy with a flat or semi gloss black color.

Just relocated back to So Cal. Any suggestions on where to go for pricing? In San Jose, I got a quote for 2k to do both. I know thats high.

Thanks for your help. And I do like the way these turned out. Had I been in Nor Cal, I prob would have done a trip to drop off the doors in Shingle Springs.

Top Bottom