Power loss due to heavy tires?

jsdjr53

Newb here....just got a 2015 JKHR. I'm going to put a 2.5" short arm lift on it. I'm also looking at Nitto Trailer Grapplers MT 35x12.50x17. I see that they weigh in at 80lbs. each and with the wheel it will be a little over 100lbs.
This seems like a lot of weight per tire for the Jeep. I know it's a durable vehicle but I worry about that much weight. I don't plan on re-gearing.
So I was looking for anyone running these tires and 4.10 gears....wanting some input on power loss, loss of acceleration, etc....I plan on doing some wheeling in Colorado and Moab. Also wanting to know what long term (or short term) problems I am looking at running a tire this heavy?
Actually input from anyone running any tire this heavy with 4.10 gears would be a great help.

MarkW13

Newb here....just got a 2015 JKHR. I'm going to put a 2.5" short arm lift on it. I'm also looking at Nitto Trailer Grapplers MT 35x12.50x17. I see that they weigh in at 80lbs. each and with the wheel it will be a little over 100lbs.
This seems like a lot of weight per tire for the Jeep. I know it's a durable vehicle but I worry about that much weight. I don't plan on re-gearing.
So I was looking for anyone running these tires and 4.10 gears....wanting some input on power loss, loss of acceleration, etc....I plan on doing some wheeling in Colorado and Moab. Also wanting to know what long term (or short term) problems I am looking at running a tire this heavy?
Actually input from anyone running any tire this heavy with 4.10 gears would be a great help.

I'm running 35's with 4.10. It isnt that bad, but I have a manual. I'm waiting for 37's to switch to 4.88. Honestly with stock gearing 4.10 was a bit low for the manual transmission.

bkac

Caught the Bug
I ran 35s and 4.10s and it did great and decent mpgs. I don't live where is flat either! I ran the Duratracs. 2014 jkur auto. Didn't really notice much of a difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You'll be fine. We ran 37" Trail Grapplers with 4.10's and it was still doable. With 35's, you shouldn't have any issues and very minimal power loss. Just make sure to calibrate your speedo.

wlmiller2010

I have a 2010 with the crappy 3.8. I am running 35" BFG mudders with the teraflex 2.5" lift. I do not do any highways, only because of small town. I get 14.5/15 mpg all city mileage. After using the flashpac everything shifts better and it feels ok.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425956624.901078.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I ran 35" BFGs on AEV Pintlers with 4.10s and thought it was a good combo. You will notice a small decrease in power, but very manageable.

Enjoy the new tires!

Coloradan

You'll be fine in Texas. The only time I really wish I'd regeared is when I travel I-70, especially around the Continental Divide and Vail Pass.

jsdjr53

You'll be fine in Texas. The only time I really wish I'd regeared is when I travel I-70, especially around the Continental Divide and Vail Pass.

I guess my real concern is that I plan on wheeling some of the passes in Colorado that are over 13000ft. I've done them in a stock Jeep and power was not a problem. Just wondering if I'll have any problems power wise going over these passes with the much heavier Nittos? I'm don't worry about the power on lower elevations. Just a bit concerned about getting up and over at that altitude.

Coloradan

I guess my real concern is that I plan on wheeling some of the passes in Colorado that are over 13000ft. I've done them in a stock Jeep and power was not a problem. Just wondering if I'll have any problems power wise going over these passes with the much heavier Nittos? I'm don't worry about the power on lower elevations. Just a bit concerned about getting up and over at that altitude.

I've done it with my stock Rubicon gears, 35" TGs on ATX Slabs with no issues. Did it feel a little anemic at altitude? Yes. Would regearing help? Yes. Do you need it? That's up to you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You do realize that the weight difference you're imagining is only about 5 to 10 lbs. at the very most per tire, right? That's FAR from "much heavier" and trust me, the slight addition of weight is FAR from something you should be concerned with. The larger diameter should be what you're concerned with as THAT is what would make you want new gears. But, for your purposes, you WILL be just fine.

jsdjr53

You do realize that the weight difference you're imagining is only about 5 to 10 lbs. at the very most per tire, right? That's FAR from "much heavier" and trust me, the slight addition of weight is FAR from something you should be concerned with. The larger diameter should be what you're concerned with as THAT is what would make you want new gears. But, for your purposes, you WILL be just fine.

In your opinion, considering the type of wheeling that I have described as the kind I will be doing, what are the minimum gears I should go to if I re-gear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In your opinion, considering the type of wheeling that I have described as the kind I will be doing, what are the minimum gears I should go to if I re-gear.

What I already said, the 4.10's you have now should be fine. Being that there's no reason for you to install new gears, that's where I would start and then run them for a while. You'll know in a real hurry if they are doable or if you feel the need to regear. No point in spending money on something that you may not even need. That is of course, unless you just have money to burn and are looking for something to spend it on.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
4.10 gears and 35's will be fine. That's if you have 4.10 gears. Did you order your jeep?

BlackHawk08jk

I have an 08 that had 3.21s on 35s till just recently, and I had no troubles slower at take off but not that bad. I'm running 4.88s now with no trouble at all. So your 4.10s should be just fine. (My wheel tire combo weighs 105)

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Depends on perspective and what your own personal "calibration" of acceptable acceleration is. I thought the Jeep was sluggish with 4:10's and 35's. With 37's, I went 4:88 and I thought it was perfect for a 35" tire (did the gear swap right before the tire swap). In retrospect 5:13 would be great for 37's and 4:88's are perfect for 35's.

geezz

So how far can ya go on a tank .. im on cooper discoverer stt ... 07 JK 2dr .. just want to compare

Top Bottom