Got some ATF+4 in my gear oil. Am I ok?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey guys. So appreciative of all the great info. I just bought a JK Sahara with 70K on it. I did both axles (Lucas Gear Oil 80W-90) & the transfer case (Carquest ATF+4). I filled everything until it started coming back out & sealed em up. I read on another site that too much oil can cause foaming? Also, what if there was some ATF in the hand pump when I put the gear oil in & vice versa? Not a lot, I pumped it out as best I could and even pumped some new fluid in to force the old out. I felt like it took a little more gas to get it rolling to 40 or 50 mph today & it was my first DIY. I just want to make sure I didn't jam anything up & I'm being paranoid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys. So appreciative of all the great info. I just bought a JK Sahara with 70K on it. I did both axles (Lucas Gear Oil 80W-90) & the transfer case (Carquest ATF+4). I filled everything until it started coming back out & sealed em up. I read on another site that too much oil can cause foaming?

"Foaming"? Now that's just stupid. :naw: Are you running factory diff covers or aftermarket ones with fill holes that are higher? If the later, you did fill it up too much and your ring gear will pump out fluid through the breather tube. If you have factory covers, you are fine.

Also, what if there was some ATF in the hand pump when I put the gear oil in & vice versa? Not a lot, I pumped it out as best I could and even pumped some new fluid in to force the old out. I felt like it took a little more gas to get it rolling to 40 or 50 mph today & it was my first DIY. I just want to make sure I didn't jam anything up & I'm being paranoid.

How much is "some"? If you literally just had a bit in the pump, you should be fine.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Thanks for the fast reply! I have the factory covers & I'd say it had to be less than 2 ounces. What about gear oil in the transfer case?

Top Bottom