What Diesel Motor Will the New Jeep JL Wrangler Get?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw the following article on AllPar and thought it was worthy of being posted up here. Which diesel motor will the all new Jeep JL Wrangler get? Which would you want it to come with?

Which diesel for Wrangler?
Automotive News wrote that the Wrangler would get the same V6 diesel as the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500. Other sources have claimed the traditional VM four-cylinder diesel would return, in 2.5 or 2.8 liter form.

Which shall it be?

There are good and bad points for each. As Bob Sheaves wrote, the V6 poses a distinct packaging problem, due to the extremely high pressure fuel lines being in the crash path, and interference with the power brake system. These can be addressed, but at a cost. On the lighter side, the VM diesel is reliable, economical, powerful, smooth, and already in use in the United States by FCA, meaning that there is somewhat less risk, mechanics already have training and tools, and there is already an inventory of parts.

Traditionally, Eurojeeps have been fitted with VM four-cylinder engines, in recent years the 200 hp, 302-339 lb-ft 2.8 liter variety. This provides a good deal of grunt (less horsepower, more torque than the gasoline six), but currently doesn’t meet American or future-European emissions. Except when it does — in GM’s Duramax form.

vm-diesel.jpg

At least one Allpar member has pointed out that the 2.8 is being redesigned yet again, to match Euro 6 and United States emissions standards (which are coming closer together). The redesign will likely include a small power boost, but is mainly being done to meet emissions rules. Since the 2.8 has been used for a good many years in the Wrangler anyway, it’s been packaged already, and while it means a slightly longer engine bay (to fit that one extra cylinder), it also means much more space on the sides.

Then there are VM 2.5 liter diesels being discussed; closely based on the 2.8, it will reportedly get a power boost. Chrysler has used both engines.

Finally, there is VM’s new L424 engine, a 2.4 liter, which was to have nearly 200 hp and 368 lb-ft of torque. When last seen, it had solenoid-based direct injection to reduce emissions to US ULEV standards.

The main disadvantages of the four-cylinder diesels are relatively low horsepower and not being already tuned for US use — again, inventory and training are absent, for the moment. However, they could be used in smaller vehicles here, in place of the Fiat Multijet diesels (minivans and other SUVs, for example). Fiat owns VM, so from a corporate view, it’s six of one and half a dozen of the others, assuming they can boost production. One advantage of the 2.5 and 2.8 is presumably lower cost and weight.

At this point, there has not been any official word on whether the American Wrangler will get any diesel, and it is likely that a diesel option would be a late arrival

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/03/which-diesel-for-wrangler

HoosierWolf

"not been any official word on whether the American Wrangler will get any diesel"

I still don't think it will happen. I'll just have to figure out how to get a diesel shoehorned into my JKU.

JeepFan

Hooked
If I was in the market for a JL with a diesel engine, the 2.8 would be my preference. In my opinion, bigger displacement will equal more overall power. The biggest problem I see with a diesel engine is dealing with the smell when crawling on the trail. :icon_crazy:

I wish they would come up with a small V8 that could meet all the emissions, fuel economy and weight requirements. I can dream, right? ;)

Wardell

Any diesel that can be sold in North America would be a good start... they made a huge mistake with the JK by picking an diesel engine that couldn't meet emmissions standards worldwide.

As long as it give great torque at low revs, isn't underpowered and gives better fuel economy than gas, I'd consider getting one.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
what smell???

If I was in the market for a JL with a diesel engine, the 2.8 would be my preference. In my opinion, bigger displacement will equal more overall power. The biggest problem I see with a diesel engine is dealing with the smell when crawling on the trail. :icon_crazy:

I wish they would come up with a small V8 that could meet all the emissions, fuel economy and weight requirements. I can dream, right? ;)

European euro 5 and 6 diesels do not smell....they have cats and DPF's to catch the black smog, µ particules, NO2, SO2 etc (and rob some power). They are common rail turbo compressed high output engines running on the lean side. Down side of that is that they can be breakdown prone if not maintained, are much harder to modify. If a 4 or 6 diesel VM was to find its way in the wrangler stateside it would be one of those for sure.

Bacon

ZERO smell from modern diesels, as long as you don't mess with the exhaust system. I had a white 2009 Jetta TDI that I could stand behind all day long with no smell and no black soot. Even my grandmother who complains about the air fresheners and perfumes from across a ballroom had no idea my car was a diesel.

I vote 3.0 V6. MOAR POWER!! is never the wrong answer. :)

Brankz

To be honest I don't thing that having a diesel in the trail will be a good idea, noise, the smell etc
But that's just me in this world thinking that 🙈don't judge me lol
I would prefer a hemmi 👍😏🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Clem319

To be honest I don't thing that having a diesel in the trail will be a good idea, noise, the smell etc
But that's just me in this world thinking that 🙈don't judge me lol
I would prefer a hemmi 👍😏🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

As said.. Modern day diesels do not smell and you really can't tell especially if it is a small motor. I used to have a BMW twin turbo diesel and it was a baddddd mother F er... One of the best cars I ever had. 40 mpg's and more power than you know what to do with.

Brankz

as said.. Modern day diesels do not smell and you really can't tell especially if it is a small motor. I used to have a bmw twin turbo diesel and it was a baddddd mother f er... One of the best cars i ever had. 40 mpg's and more power than you know what to do with.

335d? ..........

As said.. Modern day diesels do not smell and you really can't tell especially if it is a small motor. I used to have a BMW twin turbo diesel and it was a baddddd mother F er... One of the best cars I ever had. 40 mpg's and more power than you know what to do with.

Exactly. Wife used to have an Audi TDI. 40+MPG's with absolutely zero smell or soot.
Hell, modern diesels that are in big rigs don't even smoke or smell.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
I would buy one to get the better gas mileage and low end torque.
It seems like they just talk about offering a diesel and never letting the U.S. Try it.

New diesels are very quiet and smooth. Especially compared to the 4BT. I used to have a 4BT in my old power wagon and it got great mileage. But was loud as can be and left a smoke screen behind it. Not to mention you could barely talk to the person next to you.

cfr

Wouldn't 350 ft pounds or torque require beefing up the driveline?

Think that this is a great question.

While we're speculating...

I think that Jeep can charge whatever they want for the Rubicon and there will be a market for it. MSRP on a fully-loaded Hard Rock Rubicon is about $45k today.

New Hard Rock Rubicon with front/rear metal bumpers, 2.5-inch factory lift, factory 35s (like the Ford Raptor), and D60 front/rear, front/rear selectable lockers (bolt-on 37s with minimal mods). All for $55k?

Non-Rubicon with a beefier D44 front/rear (bigger stronger axle tubes, beefier inner C) and bigger brakes.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
european Diesel JK

the european spec 2.8 l CRD puts out 339 ft/lbs as is.........and the driveline is stockas in stock sport, stock sahara or stock rubi........

Top Bottom