Latest update

bOLsAK3

Coming to you straight from Autoblog:

The idea of a*Jeep*pickup is a hardly a new concept. After all, putting a bed on the company's rugged off-roaders goes back to the '40s, not to mention the more recent Cherokee-based*Comanche. There's a very slim chance that a truck could return to the lineup down the line if brand CEO*Mike Manley*gets his wish.

"I remain a big fan of a Jeep pickup. I think we have history that says it belongs in our portfolio," Manley said to*The Detroit News. However, there's no need to get any hopes up soon, because a truck doesn't get*any mention in the brand's five-year plan. That puts the earliest possible introduction around 2019.

Even Manley is tempering expectations. "At this moment and time, I have higher priorities. That doesn't mean to say that we don't work on it, we're not looking at it," he said to*The Detroit News.

The most likely candidate to support a future*Jeep truck*is the next-gen*Wrangler, according to*The News. The rest of*FCA's*pickups and SUVs are running at capacity, which makes slipping in another variant difficult. However, the future Wrangler*is heavily rumored to get an expanded production facility*in Toledo, OH, which could make things possible.

Anonymous FCA insiders confirmed to*Autoblogthat*the next-gen Wrangler would be offered with a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 and eight-speed automatic. It's also reportedly using*solid axles at the front and rear, a fixed windshield and an aluminum body. That could make for a very fun and practical off-roader.

If reading all of this speculation gives you a twinge of deja vu, it should. After the*Jeep Gladiatorconcept (pictured above), there were years of speculation about the brand bringing the pickup back. Even then the*plan was for a compact truckto tackle that hole in the segment. It was even believed that*the project had a green light for production*seemingly with*Sergio Marchionne's blessing. Then*things were pushed back, and last year,*the idea was officially quashed.

Top Bottom