Best bumper pull camping trailer to pull?

yoyoyeo02

So, i would eventually like to acquire a nice little camping trailer to pull behind my JK. I have a family of 4 and love to camp, but dont need something incredibly large, just somewhere to sleep and hang out on rainy days and maybe a toilet. Anyone have something they use that works really good with their JK? Have a 2012 with the 3.6, auto and am stepping up to 4.88 gears and have 35" tires. Hit me with your recommendations.. Thanks for the input!!

YoYo

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, the factory trailer hitch receiver which is bolted right onto the factory cross member is going to be your best bet. Nothing will be more solid and secure and there are a few bumpers out there that will allow you to use this receiver including the factory bumper. Otherwise, I would stick with a bumper that ties into the cross member. Something like LoD or Hanson come to mind.

A couple ideas being tossed around in this thread too.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=24440

I would like a little camp trailer or maybe build one with a roof top tent.

My old neighbor had a bitchen setup. He had on of those older Coleman pop up tent trailers. Lifted with bigger wheels and tires he took that thing everywhere.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Honestly, the factory trailer hitch receiver which is bolted right onto the factory cross member is going to be your best bet. Nothing will be more solid and secure and there are a few bumpers out there that will allow you to use this receiver including the factory bumper. Otherwise, I would stick with a bumper that ties into the cross member. Something like LoD or Hanson come to mind.

I would agree, most after market bumpers will not have a tongue rating due to insurance and its a pain in the ass to get them certified.

yoyoyeo02

Sorry, i may have not been very clear in this post. I am looking for what you guys are pulling behind the the jeep, not the bumper.. I do apologize for the confusion. I did see the other thread, but there are only about three examples. Thought about the tent deal, but if i am gonna use a tent i will just stick with a normal trailer or roof rack.

So, if you have a bumper pull camper please share your pic and story.. For example, weight of trailer, gears and tire size, engine, transmission.

Thanks in advanced.

YoYo

kpig

I have a jumping jack tent trailer that is great for me and my son. It sleeps up to 6 (4 comfortably) and is easy to pull behind my '13 JK on 37's with 4.56s. 5.13s would be better though.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jep77

So, i would eventually like to acquire a nice little camping trailer to pull behind my JK. I have a family of 4 and love to camp, but dont need something incredibly large, just somewhere to sleep and hang out on rainy days and maybe a toilet. Anyone have something they use that works really good with their JK? Have a 2012 with the 3.6, auto and am stepping up to 4.88 gears and have 35" tires. Hit me with your recommendations.. Thanks for the input!!

YoYo

I used to pull a flagstaff Mac popup camper behind my two door. Loved it and only weighed 1,500lbs dry. Had a sink, fridge, queen bed, twin bed, stove, and heater. Mine was the smallest of the floor plans, and if I can remember correctly the next size up had a small toilet in it. We would take it up in the backwoods of Colorado when it was snowing and would stay nice and warm all night!! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426134116.154649.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426134235.415704.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426134258.822854.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426134305.357020.jpg

sjudson61

Trailer and JK

Here is what I pull.

Attachments

• Pop Up Camper 2014-07-11 12.00.17.jpg
    Pop Up Camper 2014-07-11 12.00.17.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 249

Wardell

Hmmm... Are you looking for something you can pull behind you while you're off roading, or just down the highway and to the campsite?

If you're looking for something made to be pulled off road, you might want to check out something like the XVenture trailer by Schutt Industries or the Horison or Chaser trailers by AT Overland Equipment. They're basically made with a large tub to store your gear, and mount a roof top tent onto for sleeping. That sort of trailer is designed to be nice and low so it stays stable while you're pulling it over obstacles and through technical terrain. I don't think I'd want to take one through the Rubicon trail, but you'd be surprised what they can handle.

That said, if you don't need something to tow off road, any normal popup camper would do you well and would be less expensive too.

yoyoyeo02

yeah, just looking for something to tow down the road to camp sites. Will keep the tent for trails and off roading, but want something small for family trips to other locations.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I like this setup. How sturdy is it when folded up? What's the overall length?

Has me thinking about kayaks and surf boards on top of it instead of a roof rack.

Most JJ trailers are made to hold motorcycles or big hunting quads on top of the folded up trailer. Kayaks and boards would be a non-issue.

Most JJ trailers are made to hold motorcycles or big hunting quads on top of the folded up trailer. Kayaks and boards would be a non-issue.

Thanks!
Length will probably be the limiting factor for the yaks and stuff. Looks like a great alternative to sleeping on the grounds and to leave behind at "base camp".

Ron Fechner

towing with 4 door JK and Ace rear Bumper...

this is what we tow, it's dry weight is 2700 lbs and we don't pack anything other then clothes and get groceries after we park at the campground, our 2013 4Door JK tows it fine we re-geared to 488's and are on 37's.. not going to win any races and I try to keep the speed in around 55.

20140916_165953.jpg

kpig

I like this setup. How sturdy is it when folded up? What's the overall length?

Has me thinking about kayaks and surf boards on top of it instead of a roof rack.

Sorry for the late response but Sharkey is right. It is designed to support two quads or a side by side. We transported a Harley on top so kayaks should be no problem. Took the jj camping this weekend with my son. Poured on us Saturday night, but we were high and dry. Good luck. You can always look at the SylvanSport Go. It's cool but much more expensive.

Top Bottom