Anyone have Edelbrock or Magnuson SC on their 3.6l auto jk? Is it worth it?

skruffysam

I was interested in putting in a SC, however been reading RIPP gives power in the wrong places. I was hoping the roots style SC would be a better?

jivesis

Am getting one for my new 3.6, but I haven't heard of overheating issues especially now they run a intercooler..

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Am getting one for my new 3.6, but I haven't heard of overheating issues especially now they run a intercooler..

The intercooler reduces the intake temperatures of the denser air charge to reduce the likelihood of detonation. That, however has a minimal impact on the actual running temperature of the vehicle. In fact, sometimes the air to air intercoolers will impede airflow through the radiator as can the cooler for the air to water units (depending on where they are placed). The more power you make, the more heat. Not saying that they will overheat, I'm just saying that the intercooler isn't the factor that makes a difference on how hot it runs on a properly tuned forced induction application.

jivesis

Ok, just thought the engine dosent have to work as hard with an IC, therefore keeping temps down,or make as much boost to get the same power, so thought it would help..

scoutermike

I have the Magnuson on my 3.6 Auto and after a year of screwing around with it(not me, Magnuson's tuner) it still won't shift right. Stay away till they fix the issue. I'm to the point I want it taken off and my money back.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I have the Magnuson on my 3.6 Auto and after a year of screwing around with it(not me, Magnuson's tuner) it still won't shift right. Stay away till they fix the issue. I'm to the point I want it taken off and my money back.

Wonder if Edelbrock addressed that issue. Talked to another guy with a magnussen blower and he said it didn't make too much of a difference from a performance standpoint but also had the shifting problems.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I will never understands these supercharger threads. I'd rather take a shot to the nuts than drop $4k on some unproven product.

Seriously, if you need the extra power that badly, save your money and do a proper motor swap. To me, supercharged Jeeps are about as interesting as a Teraflex 60.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I will never understands these supercharger threads. I'd rather take a shot to the nuts than drop $4k on some unproven product.

Seriously, if you need the extra power that badly, save your money and do a proper motor swap. To me, supercharged Jeeps are about as interesting as a Teraflex 60.

I agree. We drag racing or off roading?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

If some of us believe is that there is no perfect motor swap either, then the notion of questioning whether someone has improved upon flawed supercharger designs isn't so pointless.

What IF a big name company has addressed tuning issues, is able to substantially improve low end torque, has tuned the system for smooth, predictable power delivery, and has addressed over heating issues?

I agree. We drag racing or off roading?
I don't "get" this mentality at all. Most "gear heads" I know want both. Most I know are relentlessly in pursuit of more reliable power irrespective of how much they have now. Question of need and want are two different things. If we only got what we NEED the entire automotive aftermarket would be pretty much defunct with everyone driving fuel sipping Toyota corollas (or worse) that take us from point A To point B at the speed limit on paved roads nicely.

Last edited:

Hot94Z28

As someone who came from a fast car and into drag racing supercharging can be fun but a big pain in the ass. For power I would want to do an LS swap because once I supercharged the 3.6 I would want more. Plus the LS has a huge market for performance parts the 3.6 not so much.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
If some of us believe is that there is no perfect motor swap either, then the notion of questioning whether someone has improved upon flawed supercharger designs isn't so pointless.

What IF a big name company has addressed tuning issues, is able to substantially improve low end torque, has tuned the system for smooth, predictable power delivery, and has addressed over heating issues?

I don't "get" this mentality at all. Most "gear heads" I know want both. Most I know are relentlessly in pursuit of more reliable power irrespective of how much they have now. Question of need and want are two different things. If we only got what we NEED the entire automotive aftermarket would be pretty much defunct with everyone driving fuel sipping Toyota corollas (or worse) that take us from point A To point B at the speed limit on paved roads nicely.

Meh. I still wouldn't want one. Personally, I have not heard a supercharger yet that I would want to have to listen to off road.

Luther

Ripp

I put the RIPP SC on my 3.6L with the 6-8lb boost and love it. Easy to install and no issues as of yet. I've put about 1000 miles on it from wheeling to city and highway driving. Its a great system.

Sixrox

I currently have the Edelbrock installed, but due to tuning issues not functional yet. The shop has a dyno, so we can provide the 'real' numbers once we sort out the tuning issue.

desertrunner

How much would an LS swap cost once you get the motor the Tran and the drive train to keep up with it not to mention labor? 4G for a super charger sounds pretty good to me to gain some HP without dropping the cost of a second vehicle into your jeep.

TheDuff

How much would an LS swap cost once you get the motor the Tran and the drive train to keep up with it not to mention labor? 4G for a super charger sounds pretty good to me to gain some HP without dropping the cost of a second vehicle into your jeep.

That sounds like good reasoning... till I notice how many people who have super chargers are now doing or already did a motor swap. From what I hear, they are not doing the swap solely due to the power difference. Apparently there is just a lot of headaches involved with these sc kits. So my thought process now is, why waste 4k? That's about 25% of the cost of a swap.

desertrunner

That sounds like good reasoning... till I notice how many people who have super chargers are now doing or already did a motor swap. From what I hear, they are not doing the swap solely due to the power difference. Apparently there is just a lot of headaches involved with these sc kits. So my thought process now is, why waste 4k? That's about 25% of the cost of a swap.

True I guess it would have to be 4G spent on something that works haha

Top Bottom