Recovery kit questions

el_chupo_

Getting the jeep set up for some recovery, and using some gift cards and promotions available to me. I want to throw out what I have ordered, and get suggestions on anything else I may need.

I used the info posted here to help me with the purchases so far (Thanks Eddie!): http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2953-RECOVERY-GEAR-A-Must-Have-Before-Hitting-the-Trails

I just bought from Ebay for $50:

Jeep branded "Trail Rated kit" If the bag is junk, or I need extras, I have several soft tool bags from Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc. that I will use.

Warn 30' recovery strap
Warn gloves
Warn D rings (2)
Jeep branded bag

Also ordered:
2"x6' Tree protector strap, rated at 20klbs
ARB greaseable snatch block
Rugged Ridge trifold shovel. Just a basic mini shovel that I hope to never use...
D ring receiver hitch

This is to accompany a Warn powerplant, so I will also have:
Winch remote
25ft coiled air hose
inflater of some kind, probably carry the blue ARB with gauge I already have
ARB/Currie tire deflator

I was surprised at work with a large gift card (Amazon) from a raffle, so the plan is to also pick up a synthetic winch line to replace the steel one on the winch. Right now I am just leaning toward the Spydura line from Warn, as it is $329 on Amazon, so I would be out of pocket about $50. If there is a better one available on Amazon, let me know. The "Amsteel Blue" branded (also Master Pull, I think) is about $315 for 100' of 3/8, but no hook. Not sure if this is a better bet than the Spydura line. Could also go to Amsteel Blue branded 7/16, 100ft, for $360 or so, so that is on the radar as well, but I dont know if I need to go up to that size.

I am doing this now due to the fact that all of the above is already owned, or able to be purchased for around $100-175 out of pocket based on some good luck. I know I can waste the money elsewhere, so I want to make sure I have everything I need.

I would also need a new fairlead, but do I need anything else I am missing, at least getting started? Any thing the veterans have added to their kit for a specific issue/type of recovery that should be considered?

Thanks!

Check out Viking Synthetic winch lines. I have read great reviews on them and when it comes time to replace my synthetic winch rope that is what I am going to get. I would also look at getting a Factor55 Pro-Link. As for the fairlead if you look around the for sale section you might be able to find one cheap. The fairlead I have does not have the rollers on it, however you can get one with rollers that is designed for synthetic winch rope. I have seen a couple but it has been awhile.

R/
Will

el_chupo_

I couldnt find a viking rope on Amazon, were you able to find one?

I have been looking at them, as well as Dominion Offroad Technora lines, but my gift card is for Amazon, and with Amsteel Blue (Master Pull) and Warn Spydura available there, that is kind of where I am concentrating.

I havent decided of synthetic safe rollers or a hawse fairlead will be where I go, still kicking around ideas.

I was looking at a flatlink or Prolink, but IIRC, in one of the PNW JKX videos a guy was having a hell of a time getting a Dring pin into the Prolink, and that has me a little worried...

Thanks

Top Bottom