The Slimer Build Thread

Prime8

My 2013 Gecko JKUR arrived at the dealership today after nearly 2 months of waiting. I had the dealer order the EVO Double D and C-gussets to install when the vehicle arrived. However, they waited till last week to place the order, so I'll be waiting another couple weeks for those parts. The dealer will be installing the lift and gussets, but they also ordered the EVO corner guards and rear tire carrier, which I will be installing. I also have a new EVO 1/4 Pounder with Stinger and 5 new 37" Nittos sitting in the garage waiting for the new rig. I will be keeping the Spyderlock beadlocks, Trektop NX, and LoD sliders from my old rig. I'll also be pulling the 1310 Coast front driveshaft and strapping it to Slimer until I can replace it with a 1350. Need to pull a couple more parts off of the current rig before trading it in, so I will be getting Slimer on Monday.

Looking forward to everyone's comment, tips, advice, etc...

Still on the truck... And Nittos!
ForumRunner_20121102_223221.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121102_223332.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121102_223332.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,649
Congrats man!!!! Pm me if you have questions on the corner tire carrier combo and I'll shoot you my number. You are going to need to remove your hard top to install it. Love that color.

Prime8

Notajerryskid said:
Congrats man!!!! Pm me if you have questions on the corner tire carrier combo and I'll shoot you my number. You are going to need to remove your hard top to install it. Love that color.

Sounds great brother. I spent a long time on the phone already with Andrew at EVO and Jeremy at Epic talking about the carrier and I feel a little better about it. Definitely intimidating though. Did you seal yours? Rust is a problem here so ill need to rust-proof my as best as possible.

Prime8

Notajerryskid said:
I did. Prep prep prep with the paint.

I was going to have it multi-coat liquid painted by someone in town. But what about the nutsert holes and the area between the vehicle sheet metal and the corners plate steel?

Prime8

Got the new rig last night! At the dealer from 6-10 pm working out all the details... Still have to go back to do part exchanges and installs... But the new JKUR is awesome! The 3.6 motor makes a difference. Wonder how it will feel with 37" Nittos and 17" Spyderlocks...

Prime8

Notajerryskid said:
I used rattle can. flat blk.

I was thinking of doing that, but its already 45 degrees here and dropping fast. My garage is detached and not heated, so painting myself might be a problem... Plus, I suck at spray paint. It always runs because I'm not patient enough. Haha.

GCM 2

Nice!

Very, very cool new ride. That is a great color for a jeep that's getting some modifications, congratulations :thumb:

Prime8

GCM 2 said:
Very, very cool new ride. That is a great color for a jeep that's getting some modifications, congratulations :thumb:

Thanks Greg! Had some training today and it was raining when I headed out. Plus I was in a hurry to go vote. So haven't had a good chance to take pics yet. Hopefully tomorrow...

Prime8

Took a couple pictures yesterday. I got the car Monday night and it rained Tuesday, so it didn't stay clean for long.

ForumRunner_20121108_053559.png

EVO tire carrier!

ForumRunner_20121108_053646.png

EVO rear corners.

ForumRunner_20121108_053706.jpg

GCM 2

Haha! Nice selection of parts there. Those are badass corners, mine are being installed right now. I got the EVO "Outlaw" corners though. You may already be ahead of the game and know of or have this item. If you are installing those corners yourself, this is really worth the purchase. Do a google or amazon search, might be able to find it cheaper and with the additional rivnuts. Definitely practice on some scrap sheet metal first to get the tool adjusted so the rivnuts are tight. Good luck, keep the photos coming

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MARSON-Lever-Style-Setting-Tool-4BB23

Prime8

GCM 2 said:
Haha! Nice selection of parts there. Those are badass corners, mine are being installed right now. I got the EVO "Outlaw" corners though. You may already be ahead of the game and know of or have this item. If you are installing those corners yourself, this is really worth the purchase. Do a google or amazon search, might be able to find it cheaper and with the additional rivnuts. Definitely practice on some scrap sheet metal first to get the tool adjusted so the rivnuts are tight. Good luck, keep the photos coming

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MARSON-Lever-Style-Setting-Tool-4BB23

I will definitely be getting a nutsert tool, but is the $160 one REALLY that much better than the $16 one from Harbor Freight? Especially since its such an obscure tool I don't forsee using much after the corners...

MTG

Caught the Bug
I will definitely be getting a nutsert tool, but is the $160 one REALLY that much better than the $16 one from Harbor Freight? Especially since its such an obscure tool I don't forsee using much after the corners...

I'd say so. I bought one from HF...scratch that...3 from HF because we kept bending them.

Edit: this was on the rock skins. Working on the rear 1/4 panel will be easier. Plus I am counting my time spent going back and forth to HF. I thought I saw one for ~$100 that looked promising, but I am not sure where.

Last edited:
I made mine out of a bolt, socket, washers, and a nut. pics of it is on my thread. however, I would have spent the 100 on the good tool.

Prime8

Notajerryskid said:
I made mine out of a bolt, socket, washers, and a nut. pics of it is on my thread. however, I would have spent the 100 on the good tool.

Yeah, $100 is more reasonable. I don't think I'd pay $160 though. I could buy 10 of the Harbor Freight ones before it would be worth it... Haha.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yeah, $100 is more reasonable. I don't think I'd pay $160 though. I could buy 10 of the Harbor Freight ones before it would be worth it... Haha.

I would make sure you get a good tool for the rear quaters, Its very important for the strength of that carrier to have all the nutsert installed properly.

I installed mine at home with the HF, I would spend $300 on the right tool if I could do it all over again.

Last edited:

Prime8

ChrisB said:
I would make sure you get a good tool for the rear quaters, Its very important for the strength of that carrier to have all the nutsert installed properly.

I installed mine at home with the HF, I would spend $300 on the right tool if I could do it all over again.

Good advice, thanks Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom