DIY Adjustable swaybar links

BumblebeeZA

Is it wise or even possible to convert the stock swaybar links into adjustable links?
I cant seem to find any here in South Africa and would like to hear your thoughts on converting them.

I made a basic drawing as to how I would think to go about it, and if you guys recon it is safe, Id like to go ahead and try this.
See attached drawing I made.

Sway bar diy adjustable.JPG

BumblebeeZA

I have 2" coil spacers anf Fox performance 2.0 shocks (1.5 - 3.5 lift)
At full flex when coming back the sway bar sometimes inverts the wrong way due to the short arms.

I attached 2 pics at 95% flex, see how straight the swaybar and links are. (Im on the Wayalife app on android, i hope it uploaded correctly)

Attachments

• 1426211146724.jpg
    1426211146724.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 1426211162078.jpg
    1426211162078.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 108

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Pick up a set of factory rear links and install them up front. They should provide the length you need to prevent this.

big dr

You could do it cheaper with a threaded rod (cut to desired length) and some heim ends. This is what was done on my buddie's jeep pictured below. Works perfect!

Attachments

• Attachment-1-1.jpeg
    Attachment-1-1.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 100

BumblebeeZA

Ok cool. Thanks for the input. Its my B-Day sunday and want to go wheeling, i hope I can get this sorted by then. With this setup, would I need to do any mods to the axle and sway bar?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok cool. Thanks for the input. Its my B-Day sunday and want to go wheeling, i hope I can get this sorted by then. With this setup, would I need to do any mods to the axle and sway bar?

The photo above is a TJ. On a JK, if you make your own links, the threads on the heim will be 1/2" and you will need to drill out the holes on your factory sway bar arms to make it work. NOT an easy thing unless you have the right drill bit and some cutting oil.

If you want to go wheeling, you might want to just disconnect the links from your axle as that will take care of the problem too.

big dr

I agree with Eddie! If you want to wheel,, Just disconnect and GO!! Do the mod later.:beer: Happy B-Day!:beer:

BlackHawk08jk

I would just disconnect them wheeling it will give a lot more travel. But putting rear ones on the front works great that is what I've done.

BumblebeeZA

Thanks guys for your input! Ill just take my 18mm spanners with and manually disconnect them :thumb:

I posted the same question on a local forum here in RSA and the responses on the thread and via PM's were so much different, things like its the wrong length shocks, get the pros to install, wrong coils, it shouldnt invert etc.

You guys give the best tech answers and never put a person down for doing a mod, not only that, you guys get straight to the point and no chit chat in between, full answer and advise! I cant thank you enough!
Looking forward to come to the USA and meet some of you guys!

Top Bottom