Worse thing that's happened to you while repairing parts on your Jeep

Fuhaxian

Mods delete this post if it's in the wrong section.

So, I'm a new Jeep owner, in fact, this is my first vehicle.

Anyways, as regular maintenance requires, and being a second owner for a Jeep with such high mileage, I decided to replace both my u-joints being that the left side broke. You know, might as well replace both rather then just one. I finished repairing the left on about a week ago and while I had problems trying to break the normal rust seals I could confidently say everything went fairly well being my first 'major' repair.

Well, I just decided that today would be a good time to replace the other side and what could possibly go wrong, Right? Everything going smooth, until I get back to the part I had trouble with on the other side, the rusty hub. Got my breaker bar, manage to unbolt the first bolt with no complications besides it being so rusted. Well, I go for the second one with the breaker bar as I push down, it suddenly snaps. No torque now. Turns out I broke the bolt inside the rusty hub, in which I'm already freaking out.

Long story short we spend a good while drilling out the bolt hoping that by some shear luck we don't manage to strip the threads. Turns out I now need a new hub assembly.

But, back to the point, what is the worse thing while you were trying to repair/fix/install and made things way more complicated then what it should have been?

colo dean

I guess the closest thing I have is we bought a '74 CJ5 knowing it needed the rusted floors replaced and that turned into a frame off restoration. At least its going back together now.

jeeeep

Hooked
i had removed the throttle body for the annual cleaning and instead of just tightening until it's snug, i decided to use the brand new harbor freight inch lb torque wrench. after a few minutes of thinking it was taking a long time I stopped to check it and found i had cracked the plastic body...will never use a harbor freight torque wrench again

Ah2014jk

Mine would be so far on the current round of build. Bought a boat load of poison spyder stuff and had all the paint come the parts once done so had to ship them out for blasting and do them all over. Even some of the stuff the body shop did had the same problem and they painted them again. What a waist of money an time so far in the coating department.

xrayjeeper83

Like the OP my worst cockup was Ujoints. I went to replace both fronts, quick easy job right??? Wrong lol. Ended up bending an ear on the stub shaft, rounded 3 of the hub bolts, and found the hubs were bad(though thats not my fault). So a hour or so, $30 dollar job turned into a 2 week couple hundred dollar job.

Top Bottom