How safe is a flashpaq for my motor?

MI jeepskate

I've read and heard of horror stories about people putting tunes on trucks/SUVs (granted most are 2500 diesels with 600+hp) but how safe are these things? I don't want to blow up my motor, trans ect. Any experts out there?

Mtbhjm

I have a Flashpaq on my 2009 JKUR, it has 84,000 miles and has never had a problem related to the programmer. I had it installed along with my other engine modifications (CAI & throttle body spacer) before I picked it up after purchasing it, so I don't know how much of a difference it made because I never drove it stock. It is significantly slower than my '07 4runner (or at least feels that way), but the 35" tires probably don't help. It gets up to 80+ mph pretty easily though, so I assume it has helped some. Just make sure it doesn't get unplugged during the install because that will give you some serious problems. As far as gas mileage goes, I average 15.8mpg for DD and 17-19mpg on the highway (speed dependent), which isn't too bad for a 2.5 inch lift and 35" KM2 tires. Hope this helps.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Subscribed. I was in the Audi scene for a while. Mind you, the cars were turbo charged so there was a lot to gain and a lot to loose. Some tunes were total garbage, some were amazing. I'm betting you won't get much without an intake AND exhaust. Even then maybe 15hp 20torque? A lot of money and time and not a huge gain.

StrizzyChris

First off what are your looking to achieve by placing a tuner on your Jeep?

If you are chasing the reports of higher HP and Torque I will say that they are pretty anecdotal at best. Even to achieve those gains, most programmer manufacturers suggest adding their headers, a CAI and the programmer to achieve these minimal gains.

Being that you have the older 3.8L engine, your best HP gains will be achieved by regearing your axles. This will be the best improvement in power you will EVER achieve in a JK short of an engine swap.

If you are looking to correct your speedo, adjust for new gears, TPMS adjustment, increase RPMs for winching, etc.....then they are great and worth their weight in gold.

Top Bottom