The picture I never wanted to take

Skirmish

Headed up the highway to hit Hump and Bump in Logandale I heard a bang followed by a clacking noise. Thought I blew a tire but the handling wasn't affected. I took and exit and coasted into the Excalibur parking lot to find the engine was dead. No smoke or fluids so I'm guessing the timing chain? (or belt, I haven't checked) 14,000 miles and less than 7 months isn't when an engine should fail. Now I feel naked without her. I still need to wire in the backup lights and rear bumper rock lights. I need to build a bracket to put the CB in with the stereo inside the Tuffy overhead console. I just put new shocks and rear LCA skids on. I don't have time for this.

3B915EE6-1DD8-455D-96D5-EDCB0B93C6FE-5223-00000402F2651B41.jpg

kaptkrappy

WOW, that sucks.

The 3.6 has 4 timing chains I believe.

I hope you get her back soon and all under warranty. Good luck.

3.6L Pentastar V-6 Engine.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
WOW, that sucks.

The 3.6 has 4 timing chains I believe.

I hope you get her back soon and all under warranty. Good luck.

Well Kapt, I own a JKU with 6k miles and 4 timing chains. You and Skirmish are scaring the Krappy outta me. For real!:shock:
All the best, and I hope Jeep does the right thing for you Skirmish.

Skirmish

Great picture, thanks. Yeah I'm pretty sure in my guess then. It seemed it was firing on some cylinders and would almost start so maybe one side lost the chain. Hopefully it didn't do custom valve work when it happened.

Skirmish

Not much yet. Last I heard they tried to start it and the service writer thought it could be a valve or valve spring but even he thought it was a loud clack for a valve. I'm not an engine expert but I wouldn't think a valve would shutdown am engine. I would think it would still run just with some nasty noises. When I tried starting it there were random half starts but not enough to fully start.

They gave me a fully loaded Town and Country that is like driving a whale sitting in an office chair. The approach angle isn't good and departure is horrible. Clearance is nonexistent but the auto doors are fun.

kaptkrappy

They gave me a fully loaded Town and Country that is like driving a whale sitting in an office chair. The approach angle isn't good and departure is horrible. Clearance is nonexistent but the auto doors are fun.

Oh the ladies at the mall will be so jealous. :bleh:

Seriously, we all hope everything works out in your favor.

Jersey_Devil

Skirmish said:
Headed up the highway to hit Hump and Bump in Logandale I heard a bang followed by a clacking noise. Thought I blew a tire but the handling wasn't affected. I took and exit and coasted into the Excalibur parking lot to find the engine was dead. No smoke or fluids so I'm guessing the timing chain? (or belt, I haven't checked) 14,000 miles and less than 7 months isn't when an engine should fail. Now I feel naked without her. I still need to wire in the backup lights and rear bumper rock lights. I need to build a bracket to put the CB in with the stereo inside the Tuffy overhead console. I just put new shocks and rear LCA skids on. I don't have time for this.

Least u didn't have to take these pics.... Hope u get fixed up soon! I got a rubi and got right back out there jeepin!

ForumRunner_20121108_104806.jpg

ForumRunner_20121108_104832.jpg

ForumRunner_20121108_104852.jpg

Skirmish

Kind of devastated today. Finally got an update from the dealer. They are changing the engine. I am having issues getting answers so I don't know what exactly let go yet and I'm still waiting for an answer whether Chrysler is covering the rental loaner.

The other bad news was that the 3.6L is on backorder so they can't even say when mine will be built plus it will take 3-5 days to deliver. Then they have to install it. My beloved Skirmish is down for another 2? 3? 4? weeks? It has already been 17 days.

jkpete

i saw your jeep at prestige a few weeks ago. i had mine in for service. thats a bummer i hope i dont have any issues like that.. mine is a 3.8 though... good luck they seem pretty decent over there..

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
No info yet. Just said they needed to wait for a new engine.

Say it ain't so! I'm certain it doesn't happen very often, but Jeep's looking very bad here. Something really stinks. My 2012 has 7k miles on it and it's developed a ticking sound. Lifters, timing chain? We're heading to Colorado for Christmas so I'm hoping I don't post a photo like yours on the way. Said it before and I'll say it again, all the best to get her back on the road. Bad!!:mad:

StrizzyChris

Say it ain't so! I'm certain it doesn't happen very often, but Jeep's looking very bad here. Something really stinks. My 2012 has 7k miles on it and it's developed a ticking sound. Lifters, timing chain? We're heading to Colorado for Christmas so I'm hoping I don't post a photo like yours on the way. Said it before and I'll say it again, all the best to get her back on the road. Bad!!:mad:

Has yours thrown a code yet or just the tick? Hope you dont have to replace your head like many other early 2012's have

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Has yours thrown a code yet or just the tick? Hope you dont have to replace your head like many other early 2012's have

No code. It just has a "nervous tic" so far, but I listen closely every time I fire it up. It hasn't gotten any worse for about 10 days. My fingers are crossed. Thx for asking.:yup:

Skirmish

Not sure if it is new or not but the service writer said there was a bulletin out on the tick/failing head issue. Not the recall they should have done, yet, but at least Chrysler acknowledges that there is a problem. He said he is seeing a lot of them come in for it.

Top Bottom