Rock Hard Jeep JK Wrangler Front Harness Bar Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't tell you why we hadn't done this sooner as it was always something we had planed to do but, over the weekend, I finally got around to installing a Rock Hard 4x4 Parts front harness bar to go with the MasterCraft Baja RS seats that we've had in Moby for a very long time now. Of course, this allowed me to do a clean install of a MasterCraft Safety 5-point harness and that will help secure us in place as we bomb through the desert. For those of you who are interested in installing one in your Jeep JK Wrangler, this write-up will show you just how easy it is to do.

main.php

What you will need
• Rock Hard JK Front Harness Bar (RH-1030-SFHP)
• 7/16" Wrench
• 5/32" Allen Wrench
• Torx T-45 Bit
• Ratchet
• Drill
• Unibit or 5/16" Drill Bit
• Utility Knife or Dremel with Cutoff Wheel
• Center Punch
• Sharpie Marker

Shot of what the harness bar looked like after I painted it and got it ready to install.
main.php

Instructions
1. Begin the installation by removing the covers on your Jeeps front seat belt shoulder mounts. These are just snapped in place and just need to be pried off.
main.php

2. Using a Torx T-45 bit, remove the bolt securing your seat belt shoulder harness to the adjustable mounts on the B-Pillar.
main.php

3. The interior B-Pillar trim is held in place by a series of push tabs. Carefully pry it off from the bottom up to remove it from the B-Pillar.
main.php

4. With the help of a friend, carefully place your new Rock Hard front harness bar onto the back of your B-pillars with the tapered flanges pointing up. You will find that the curved feature of the B-Pillar matches up with your harness bar and will prevent it from sliding down any further. Once it's at this point, use the harness bar as a template and mark the mounting holes with a Sharpie Marker as shown.
main.php

5. Remove the harness bar and then use a center punch to locate the center of all the holes you will need to drill.
main.php

6. Using a Unibit or 5/16" drill bit, drill holes through the pinch seam of your B-pillar as shown.
main.php

7. If you are using a Unibit, make sure you only drill as far as you need to and then come back from the opposite side to finish and clean things up.
main.php

8. With the help of a friend, hold your harness bar back on the B-pillar and loosely secure both sides in place with one of the bolts and nylock nuts provided with the kit. This will help make it easier to get the other bolts and nuts installed.
main.php

9. Using a 7/16" wrench and a 5/32" allen wrench, tighten all the bolts and nuts to secure the harness bar to your B-pillar.
main.php

10. Hold up the interior trip up to the B-pillar where it would normally go and then, using a Sharpie, mark the points where the harness bar mount meets up to the top and bottom of it.
main.php

11. Using a Sharpie, draw a line about 3/8" parallel to the edge of trim as shown. You will need to also take into account where the tube is and draw a line for the curvature of it. Then, use a utility knife or Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut out the plastic trim. Do a test fit and cut more as needed. Use sand paper to clean up the edges.
main.php

12. With the plastic trim cut, reinstall it on to your B-pillar by firmly pushing it back in place.
main.php

Here's a shot of how clean and factory you can make it look if you just take your time.
main.php

That's it, you now have a Rock Hard front harness bar installed on your 4-Door Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited.
main.php

Here's a shot of what it looks like with a set of MasterCraft harnesses installed.
main.php

Rccrwlr

Nice write up. Question about the seatbelt light. I see you left the factory belts and you said you will use the harness belts in the desert. How do you keep the seatbelt light and chime from going crazy when using the harnesses?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice write up. Question about the seatbelt light. I see you left the factory belts and you said you will use the harness belts in the desert. How do you keep the seatbelt light and chime from going crazy when using the harnesses?

Well, I've done the hokey pokey to turn off the chime (sit in seat, turn key to "on" position, wait for seatbelt light to go off, click seatbelt in and out 3 times with the 3rd time staying in and then turn key off) so that will take care of that. Per a conversation that I've had with GCM 2, I may also just buckle up the shoulder belt and sit on it while driving in the desert - this will take care of the light too.

bkac

Caught the Bug

You buy some factory buckles from a junkyard and clip them in while not using the factory seat belt in the jeep itself. :thumbup:

ChairRepair1

Does anyone know how the 2 door harness bar attaches? I've been thinking about getting it but I've only seen it installed on a 4 door. Northridge sells one that says 2 door, but the picture is the same as the 4 door.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Does anyone know how the 2 door harness bar attaches? I've been thinking about getting it but I've only seen it installed on a 4 door. Northridge sells one that says 2 door, but the picture is the same as the 4 door.

Welcome to WOL! Try posting this question in the Rock Hard tech thread. Im sure they will be able to get you some answers.

Looks like I need to get in touch with Dave and let him know he's missing some updated info!

Our 2-door front harness bar bolts on like our earlier Wrangler (TJ) and all CJ versions do. Because you have a traditional hoop behind your front seats, you will use our collars.

RH-1030-SFH2-2T.jpg

RH-1030-SFH2-9T.jpg

RH-1030-SFH2-6T.jpg

CLEJeepGirl

Nice write up. Thank you. I have this exact setup. About to install the harnesses and Rock Hard Harness Bar. I'm assuming you did a wrap around for the shoulder harnesses. Where did you bolt in the lap belts? Do you have a pic of that? We're thinking we will need to get some longer bolts to install on the L bracket of the Mastercraft JK adapter.

hbkid22

Looks like I need to get in touch with Dave and let him know he's missing some updated info!

Our 2-door front harness bar bolts on like our earlier Wrangler (TJ) and all CJ versions do. Because you have a traditional hoop behind your front seats, you will use our collars.

can you still a rear seat with passengers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice write up. Thank you. I have this exact setup. About to install the harnesses and Rock Hard Harness Bar. I'm assuming you did a wrap around for the shoulder harnesses. Where did you bolt in the lap belts? Do you have a pic of that? We're thinking we will need to get some longer bolts to install on the L bracket of the Mastercraft JK adapter.

I'll try to get a pic for you but I just secured them to the seat mount rear bolts.

can you still a rear seat with passengers?

Is it safe to assume you're asking if you can still use the rear seats? If so, yes, you can but I would make sure to pad the harness bar as even getting in and out will bring you close to it. Of course, you'll want to make sure that the rear passengers use their shoulder belt or, even better, make sure they have a harness as well.

hbkid22

Is it safe to assume you're asking if you can still use the rear seats? If so, yes, you can but I would make sure to pad the harness bar as even getting in and out will bring you close to it. Of course, you'll want to make sure that the rear passengers use their shoulder belt or, even better, make sure they have a harness as well.

Yes that is what I was asking....Didnt proof read but thanks for the info.

Top Bottom