New Build JK or older??

JethroJK

After some debate I have decided I am going to try to get back into a JK but I am going to go with a 2 door vice a 4 due to giving this to my kid in a couple years. After the divorce I had to get rid of the JKUR due to liquidating assets and also now I can't afford a new one so...

So here is the question...if I have 8k-10k to spend should I go with a JK or settle for something 2006 or older? Looking to build a stock I find into a weekend beach cruiser with some light off-road due to this will be Florida and southeast GA vehicle.

Any comments or input is appreciated.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Is that money your limit or the amount you have on hand? If the latter Id put that as a down payment on a new JK Sport with half doors (based on your area and planned use).
Id also get a tow package for the 3.73 gearing.

toxicwaste29

You could also find a salvaged jk for around that much and make it a father son project fixing it back to stock condition.

JethroJK

Is that money your limit or the amount you have on hand? If the latter Id put that as a down payment on a new JK Sport with half doors (based on your area and planned use).
Id also get a tow package for the 3.73 gearing.

No that is the limit I want to spend on the stock vehicle. Again, this is something going to my daughter in a couple of years, so not really looking at buying anything new. This will only be a weekend vehicle for myself until I hand it over to her.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
No that is the limit I want to spend on the stock vehicle. Again, this is something going to my daughter in a couple of years, so not really looking at buying anything new. This will only be a weekend vehicle for myself until I hand it over to her.

Gotcha. A TJ or maybe even a YJ would probably be more in your price range. A salvage would be nice too like was mentioned but it may have more problems than just an older model depending on why it was a salvage.

Have you thought about one of the other older models as well? WJ XJ etc?

JethroJK

Gotcha. A TJ or maybe even a YJ would probably be more in your price range. A salvage would be nice too like was mentioned but it may have more problems than just an older model depending on why it was a salvage.

Have you thought about one of the other older models as well? WJ XJ etc?

I don't want to go to old because after I give it to her in a couple of years don't want it to be too old. I was considering a YJ or TJ. I just haven't had one so not to sure about which one to go with. Engine, lifting it, gears, etc.

toxicwaste29

I got my 12 jku in 2012 with only 4k miles on it. I bought it for 17k and put 3k into it. There has been no other issues arise from it being salvaged so I basically bought a 2012 in 2012 for over half off the dealer price.

Peak

I've never seen a JK that low that isn't salvaged, same with TJ's above year 2000. I'd get an early TJ, YJ, or Cj7 for under 5-6K and just put the rest of that money into it.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I don't want to go to old because after I give it to her in a couple of years don't want it to be too old. I was considering a YJ or TJ. I just haven't had one so not to sure about which one to go with. Engine, lifting it, gears, etc.

Please note that none of this is from personal experience, only from what Ive found on the web.

When I was considering an older Jeep I found that: 1) The 4.0 is the way to go (unless you are considering a ZJ or WJ, then grt the V8). 2) The 4 speed automatic transmission gives a lot of problems so get one with the 5 speed auto or a manual. 3) Check for rust on the frame, by taking a hammer and chisel to it and see if you can punch through. 4) Get one that is as close ti stock as possible becuase it is less likely to have been off road and have hidden problems.

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
Please note that none of this is from personal experience, only from what Ive found on the web.

When I was considering an older Jeep I found that: 1) The 4.0 is the way to go (unless you are considering a ZJ or WJ, then grt the V8). 2) The 4 speed automatic transmission gives a lot of problems so get one with the 5 speed auto or a manual. 3) Check for rust on the frame, by taking a hammer and chisel to it and see if you can punch through. 4) Get one that is as close ti stock as possible becuase it is less likely to have been off road and have hidden problems.

I agree with all that advice I may not have a Jeep right now, but I have definitely looked at a few just to look. MR.Ty is right about that rust and the automatic transmission. Always take your time looking and see if you can drive for a period of time before buying and have a local mechanic check it out for any issues.

Top Bottom