JKU Stock springs effect on JK

2country

does anyone know how much lift would be achieved by putting the stock springs off a JKU on a two-door JK? thanks in advance.

USMC Wrangler

There is a very lengthy thread about this on some other Jeep forums, (maybe there is one here, I just haven't seen it myself). There seems to be no exact answer. For instance putting "18" front springs from a JKUR in two different JK's yield different results. Sometimes it is because the JK had a "16" front spring vs. a "17" front spring, but some report both Jeeps started with the same spring up front getting a different result. :thinking::crazyeyes:

I did this from a '13 JKUR to my '13 JKUS and with the help of some spacers front and back, I have a level ride. I was able to get all 4 springs and 4 shocks off of the JKUR shipped to me for $150 and did the work myself. It was easy enough to do, even for someone that has never changed springs before. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do it if you're as unfamiliar as I was. I figured for the small investment of money and time it was worth a try. I noticed a slightly stiffer, but not overly harsh ride after the swap. Maybe it's the spacers, but I don't know???

Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Maybe someone else with way more experience can offer a better answer. :thumb:

JK LYF

I swapped mine. I went from about (forgot exact number) 14 front and 56 rear to 18 front and 60 rear. I gained approximately 2 inches in front and 1 1/2 inches in rear.

I also replaced stock shocks with the Rubi take offs. Pleased with the lift, but the ride is still stiff. It did the job for my 35s. I have taken it out several times with no issues. Great way to get a little lift on a budget. If anything, I would keep coils and spend some money on some really good shocks. Here are some pics of the difference in coils. Got all four coils and shocks for about $100.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426644323.036772.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426644337.078693.jpg

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I don't want to hijack, but how much added height do you get going to JKUR springs in a JKUS?

They are the same springs. The higher the number the stiffer. Factory coils are weird the way jeep picks them out.

USMC Wrangler

I don't want to hijack, but how much added height do you get going to JKUR springs in a JKUS?

On the JKUS I started with a 17/59 combo stock. The guy I bought them off of had 18/59 combo but wouldn't sell me just the fronts plus all four shocks. My JKUS had about 5,000 miles on it and the JKUR was around 8,000 or so.

Anyway, I picked up about 1/2" changing the fronts before putting in a 1" spacer. Yes, I took them apart and put them back together twice. :grayno: I wanted to be sure the 18 wasn't going make some massive difference since I couldn't find clear answers on what to expect. I had read where one guy claimed to get over 2" in my same scenario and having alignment issues, brake line issues, etc. I didn't know what to believe so, yeah, twice. Oh well! The second time when adding the spacers went much faster!

Flyboy88

Ah. So it's pretty much just a crap shoot on what springs are under it from the factory, regardless of model?

USMC Wrangler

Maybe, a little. There isn't any "Rubicon only" springs. A sport could have the same springs. Depends if it had a tow package, hard top...

Yeah, I was surprised that my Sport had the same rear spring as the Rubicon...until I found out exactly what you said^^^. I do have the hardtop and factory installed hitch/wiring, but sadly not the 3.73 gears.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Ah. So it's pretty much just a crap shoot on what springs are under it from the factory, regardless of model?

Pretty much, look at the tags on the springs. Fronts can be from 17-19. Rears are usually 57-60. The higher the number, the higher the load range.

JK LYF

Wouldn't stiffer mean a little extra height when installed though?

I think so. The stiffer coils hold the weight of the jeep up better. Although the JKUR springs I put in were only about an inch or so taller, they didn't drop under the weight of the jeep as much as the 14/56 did.

Top Bottom