Random box fell down while crawling

hhunter050

Well I was doing some pretty intense crawling this afternoon and when I got done I noticed this black box hanging off my jeep right beside the gas tank. I got it to hang back up but from black beads fell out of it...somebody please let me know what this is and if it's gonna fall of again. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426649245.944411.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
That is your EVap canister. Make sure all the connections are in tact or you will get engine codes.

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
Well I was doing some pretty intense crawling this afternoon and when I got done I noticed this black box hanging off my jeep right beside the gas tank. I got it to hang back up but from black beads fell out of it...somebody please let me know what this is and if it's gonna fall of again. View attachment 131474

That is your evap canister. The Jeep will run without it, however, I'm pretty sure it will throw an engine code. Probably worth investing in a evap skid such as the one from EVO.

hhunter050

That is your EVap canister. Make sure all the connections are in tact or you will get engine codes.

So just make sure the wires running to it are ok? Do the black beads mean anything? Should I make a custom bracket so it doesn't fall off again?

hhunter050

That is your evap canister. The Jeep will run without it, however, I'm pretty sure it will throw an engine code. Probably worth investing in a evap skid such as the one from EVO.

Probably going to invest in a skid for that thing I was freaking out when I saw it just dangling there lol

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Black beads are charcoal pellets, part of the filter system that filters fuel vapors off the tank.

USMC Wrangler

What do you guys mean by engine codes??

You'll probably get the check engine light (CEL), which produce codes to identify the source of the trouble. See Frank's post a few down on how to read your CEL codes without anything but you, your Jeep and your key!

If you get one in your case, it will most likely be from the evap canister if anything came loose or was damaged.

Last edited:

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
You'll probably get the check engine light (CEL), which produce codes to identify the source of the trouble. You need a device that will read the codes, or take it to the dealership to get the codes or some auto parts stores will read them for you.

If you get one in your case, it will most likely be from the evap canister if anything came loose or was damaged.

Damn you guys are quick tonight! I hit reply and by the time my post pops up, there are already a couple of replies!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
What do you guys mean by engine codes??

The check engine light and when you check your diagnostic codes you will get them related to evap systems.

To check engine codes:

Place the key into the ignition, turn the key forward without starting it then back quickly (do this three time) on the 3rd, leave the key forward and your odometer will read ------ it will cycle through for a few seconds then give you any codes, if there are none of will say "dOne."

Chances are if you don't get a check engine light in the next hundred miles or so you'll be okay. Worst case scenario you get a new evap canister for about $100 and invest in an aftermarket skid plate (rock hard, EVO, Poison Spyder."

USMC Wrangler

The check engine light and when you check your diagnostic codes you will get them related to evap systems.

To check engine codes:

Place the key into the ignition, turn the key forward without starting it then back quickly (do this three time) on the 3rd, leave the key forward and your odometer will read ------ it will cycle through for a few seconds then give you any codes, if there are none of will say "dOne."

Chances are if you don't get a check engine light in the next hundred miles or so you'll be okay. Worst case scenario you get a new evap canister for about $100 and invest in an aftermarket skid plate (rock hard, EVO, Poison Spyder."

Well, we all learn something new everyday. Yep, still a newbie :doh: and thanks for that! :thumb:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Thanks for all the help fellas! I knew I would get plenty of answers if I posted on WAYALIFE!! Crawl on!

No prob. BTW you don't need a code reader or a trip to the dealer to check engine codes. I posted steps to use your Jeeps computer to check codes. It doesn't show ALL codes but will get you what you need as a start.

USMC Wrangler

No prob. BTW you don't need a code reader or a trip to the dealer to check engine codes. I posted steps to use your Jeeps computer to check codes. It doesn't show ALL codes but will get you what you need as a start.

Sorry about that! I edited my response so no one else gets bad info from my bad info...

hhunter050

Yes thank you for that! No lights on but I'll have to check the codes in the morning. Hopefully no problems!

Top Bottom