Play/vibration in the pedals

ScoobyCarolanNC

Hey there. So I've had my '10 JKU with 70K for a couple of weeks now. After I've driven for a bit I feel what I can only describe as some play or slop over bumps in the gas & brake pedal. Seems to be when the suspension is unloaded a bit and the slack is taken back in, the pedals rattle. I've searched around, but can't find anyone describing something similar. I thought maybe there was something loose in the front end so I brought it into the dealership and they said there was nothing unusually loose in the front end. I got under, grabbed a few points and looked for anything that looked unusually loose or bent & I didn't see anything suspect. I'm hoping y'all can give me the next couple of ideas on what to check, or tell me I'm being over sensitive as this is my first jeep. Thanks!!

Markymark420

Sorry I can't offer any guidance with your issue, but I experience the same rattle (attributed to brake pedal).
The issue is pronounced over rough washboard roads and can be kept quiet with some side pressure from the left foot (obviously not a fix as it impacts braking reaction time).

I have yet to wedge myself under the dash to investigate, but my guess would be a loose, or non existent bushing on the pivot point of the pedal.
BTW, as of a year ago my searches for a fix produced nothing more than "jeeps are suppose to do this" to "I had the whole pedal cluster replaced at the dealer. "
Anyone else on here have any experience with this issue and how myself and the OP can fix it?

Tanner505

Hey there. So I've had my '10 JKU with 70K for a couple of weeks now. After I've driven for a bit I feel what I can only describe as some play or slop over bumps in the gas & brake pedal. Seems to be when the suspension is unloaded a bit and the slack is taken back in, the pedals rattle. I've searched around, but can't find anyone describing something similar. I thought maybe there was something loose in the front end so I brought it into the dealership and they said there was nothing unusually loose in the front end. I got under, grabbed a few points and looked for anything that looked unusually loose or bent & I didn't see anything suspect. I'm hoping y'all can give me the next couple of ideas on what to check, or tell me I'm being over sensitive as this is my first jeep. Thanks!!

Replace the nylon bushings and the pin on both the brake pedal and the gas pedal, my brake pedal made noise until I did this

ScoobyCarolanNC

I have a different thread going about overfilled diffs. A member named Jeeeep mentioned that too much limited slip additive could cause a slack feeling in the driveshafts. In my case, I think this is exactly what's happening. The diff oil heats up, expands, and causes some slack that I feel in the pedals when I let off the gas or brake. He also said he thinks switching to synthetic "handles heat better".

After I got home I flushed everything and added fresh Lucas Oil to the gears. Once it started dripping, I backed off for 5 minutes to make sure it was done then sealed her up. I'm going for a test drive now. Not sure if this is your silver bullet, but it's a weird symptom to have so maybe you need a weird cure.

Jtvegas

Yes had this happen on a previous jk. To verify that it's the brake pedal you can test it. Go off-road and put your foot under the pedal and secure it to see if the noise disappears.

Mtbhjm

A while back I thought my pedals had some strange vibration in them at low speeds and when it was stopped. It took me longer than you might expect to figure out that it was the stereo vibrating them. It's a long shot (like shooting a quarter 2 miles out with a brisk, changing wind) and definitely a very dumb mistake of mine but you could try seeing if that might be it...

Top Bottom