Emergency Top/Trail Cover Opinions Needed

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm in the market for a trail cover since I have a hard top and it likes to shower in the afternoons in NC. I've just started my search and I wanted to get some feedback from all here on any experience you have.

I'm leaning towards the BestTop 81041 All Weather Trail Cover. Everyone who runs the Trektop NX loves it and they're a great brand name, but it is slightly pricier of the options out there.

74917-md.jpg

I looked at the Smittybilt 1069 Water Resistant Cab Cover, which is made from some denim fabric, but one of the reviews on Amazon said bluntly not to expect this thing to keep out all water. That pretty much rules it out for me. Worst thing to get into soaking wet seats when you're leaving work.

810jq4WBKpS._SL1500_.jpg

Northridge also has one from a company called Vertically Driven Products # 501163 that looks similar, but there's not too much info on their website.

Are there any others people would recommend?

jeeeep

Hooked
my buddy runs all summer with the Top off and uses a Bestop cover, kind of a PIA to put on with one person but it does keep the rain out.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
When i had my 4 door, i used one called rain gear. You can order them from jeepcovers.com. Theyre a bit pricey compared to other brands but trust me, they are well worth it. They're made from a material called tuff duck. Its a fabric material that has a rubber lining on the inside. I can say from experience that ive never once got a drop of water on the inside of my jeep using this cover. It was by far the best $150 that I've ever spent on my jeep. I used it all last summer when i had my freedom panels and doors off. Its been through many many windy thunderstorms and still held up very strong. I highly recommend it and would recommend it to anyone.

If your interested, im trying to sell mine that i had for my 4 door. I bought extra material and had it professionally altered to cover a 50 inch light bar. It is the model for having the rear piece of your hard top on.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426695255.482148.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426695307.489962.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426695340.895545.jpg

PM me of interested in mine, but i highly recommend it either way. I will be buying another for my new 2 door

Slappy32

I've had the Bestop Trail Cover for almost a year. I use it a lot. It started out keeping all water out, but now it leaks some on the seams and there will be some puddles in floorboards. My door surrounds will also fill up with water in the cavities on top.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Living in NC is the main reason I wanted and got a Trektop NX. Now do you want a top just to cover when it rains, what about when you need to drive it?
I was contemplating this one as well. I do not think it is recommended to go fast with this, but a great alternate when you are topless on the trail driving and it starts to rain.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11174_1041_07.htm

emergency top.jpg

Do you have a hard top or soft top?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Living in NC is the main reason I wanted and got a Trektop NX. Now do you want a top just to cover when it rains, what about when you need to drive it?
I was contemplating this one as well. I do not think it is recommended to go fast with this, but a great alternate when you are topless on the trail driving and it starts to rain.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11174_1041_07.htm

Do you have a hard top or soft top?

I have a hard top, and long term goal is to get a Trektop NX to run in the summer and keep the hard top for winter (I like it too much to sell it).

We're headed to the OBX this summer for our annual family vacation and I'd love to get down there, strip the top and doors, and use this to keep the car covered when we're at the house and quickly remove it for a drive.

If I drive topless to work, I don't want to worry about the random showers we get during the day. If there's any risk it might rain when I'm headed home, I just keep the hard top on. That's why this trail cover is a perfect idea until I get a soft top.

In my mind, the trail cover should do two things well - 1) Keep the interior dry and 2) Be easy to put on/take off.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Anyone know how this part attaches if you have a hard top? I can't picture how the straps would attach to the belt rail.

Capture.JPG

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
They wouldn't be able to attach with a hard top on. Not sure why you'd want it while the hard top is on anyways.....kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

No, not with the hard top on. If you look at the diagram, it says you secure these four plastic strips in the belt rail retainer if you have a soft top installed. I'm guessing there's hardware on the belt rail that's used if you have a soft top that these strips take advantage of, but never having had a soft top I'm not sure. Just wondering what the trail cover attaches to if you are missing hardware that only soft tops have.

CJW

No, not with the hard top on. If you look at the diagram, it says you secure these four plastic strips in the belt rail retainer if you have a soft top installed. I'm guessing there's hardware on the belt rail that's used if you have a soft top that these strips take advantage of, but never having had a soft top I'm not sure. Just wondering what the trail cover attaches to if you are missing hardware that only soft tops have.

Ok I'm tracking now. There is a belt rail molded into the body/tub. It's on all JKs. When you lift the hardtop off you'll see it.

Benito

Caught the Bug
I looked at the Smittybilt 1069 Water Resistant Cab Cover, which is made from some denim fabric, but one of the reviews on Amazon said bluntly not to expect this thing to keep out all water. That pretty much rules it out for me. Worst thing to get into soaking wet seats when you're leaving work.

View attachment 131530

I bought one of these when I was sort of in a pinch. It held out the rain. The only problem I have had with it was one of the straps tore the fabric a little where it is sewed on. I kept it on the jeep whenever I was topless but I have a nx now. After putting it on a few times it is pretty easy to do it by yourself. It was also a pain to pull off when there were puddles on it.

Top Bottom