Traction control problems

mikefishes

For the last few months my 2008 JKU has had traction control issues. The dash light will come on and you can hear the system working (feels like brakes pumping/grinding) typically on on-ramps one off-ramps. I do not need to be going overly fast and I am nowhere near being at a high rate of speed. It seems like it is caused when the ramp is a long sweeping turn to the right or the left and it seems to be most prevalent when headed downhill (on a downward grade) like when you are exiting a side road overpass and turning down to the freeway.

I have had it aligned several times and the wheel is centered, so I am confident that is NOT the problem. I am running 37's on a 4 inch EVO enforcer lift, if that plays any part in the thought process.

Could it be tone rings? If so, why does even the Chrysler Jeep dealership seem stymied? They said that it's "normal" for a lifted jeep. I call BS.

Webe

After I installed my lift mine did the same. I just pulled the traction control pump fuse and problem solved.:twocents:

JAGS

Hooked
Might not make any sense. Same thing happened to me. Realized that Americas Tires put way too much PSI when they mounted my TGs. Once I lowered to a more respectable 34 PSI (now running 28) the TC issues also went away. Long story short, could be something as easy as PSI.???

mikefishes

Might not make any sense. Same thing happened to me. Realized that Americas Tires put way too much PSI when they mounted my TGs. Once I lowered to a more respectable 34 PSI (now running 28) the TC issues also went away. Long story short, could be something as easy as PSI.???

Well I can definitely check the PSI. I recently had the oil changed at the dealer and the problem became worse (though it existed before) at that point. They may have added air as part of the service.

mikefishes

After I installed my lift mine did the same. I just pulled the traction control pump fuse and problem solved.:twocents:

there is a "fix" I never considered. Any drawbacks? Any dash lights to stare at all day? That would drive me crazy, if so.

Webe

I do believe it is the J6 or J7 fuse. It is labeled and you want to take the pump one out otherwise you speedo doesn't work. There are 3 different traction control fuses. One is also connected to your fuel pump. Yes it does product extra dash lights :( but at least your jeep will now stay on the road.

JAGS

Hooked
Well I can definitely check the PSI. I recently had the oil changed at the dealer and the problem became worse (though it existed before) at that point. They may have added air as part of the service.

They always add air, even sometimes when you tell them not to touch the tires. I bet they put it up to at least 37+. Hopefully they didn't go by sidewall PSI.

mikefishes

They always add air, even sometimes when you tell them not to touch the tires. I bet they put it up to at least 37+. Hopefully they didn't go by sidewall PSI.

Pressure was way up there over 36 while cold. Dropping the PSI back down and replacing some badly worn ball joints. Lastly, reflashing the computer with some update that Chrysler put out a long while ago that deals with 2007/2008 stability issues. If all of that doesn't work I'm gonna turn it off using a ProCal.

Wheelz

I am having the same issue. My jeep is not lifted though. Just 33" Duratracs on 15" wheels. I did recently get my tires rotated, so I went out and checked the tire pressure. It was pretty high. So I put them back to around 28psi. We'll see if that helps.
Was the clock spring suggestion real or a joke? Why would that affect the traction control? I ask because my clock spring may be going. My horn was going off randomly, until I pulled those fuses. But there were no airbag lights or codes thrown, so I was hoping it was just the horn that was malfunctioning.

Top Bottom