35's on factory wheels.

toxicwaste29

Sorry I believe this has been covered but do people safely run 35x12.5 on factory wheels. My wheels are from a 12 sport s if that changes anything. I know the rims are narrow but I have read just keep the tires aired slightly down and your okay. I will be getting wheel spacers and keeping the factory wheels if possible. If not I will just get new wheels and no spacers

Mjay

People run 35 and sometimes 37s on the rubicon 17" wheels, but I never really see or hear of anyone using the 16" sport wheels.

For what it's worth, it's barely more expensive to buy steel wheels vs wheel spacers.

StrizzyChris

All the time. A thin stock wheel actually helps you maintain a bead when aired down. Spacers go up for sale all the time and for pretty cheap!

toxicwaste29

Thanks for the replies I figured as much. So let's say theoretically. If I went to a 37x12.5 the tire width would be the same so would I still be able to use factory wheels and wheel spacers?

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Stock 16" wheel with 35" tire and 1.5" spacer, with no problems at all.

I will upgrade wheels down the road.

Attachments

• 1426705796829.jpg
    1426705796829.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 392

toxicwaste29

I would just do wheels out right and have the right bs and width but after going through every option I'm not really sold on any. Maybe down the road also for me

07JKSahara

Thanks for the replies I figured as much. So let's say theoretically. If I went to a 37x12.5 the tire width would be the same so would I still be able to use factory wheels and wheel spacers?

You can, I know someone local that did it as a stop gap. It's not the best but it will work.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426509784.520320.jpg

35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers on stock 17 inch Sport wheels with 1.5 inch Spydertrax wheel spacers. Get the wheel spacers that are both hub and lug centric as well as bolt to the axle and has another set of studs to bolt the wheel to like the Spydertrax brand. Several brands are like that now but the Spydertrax name is well known to have good products, specially their wheel spacers. :thumb: Dont get a cheap spacer that simply goes between your wheel and the wheel mounting surface with no studs on it. Those will cause major issues.

I too plan to go to 37s someday on this wheel until I can get some ATX Slabs. Dont know which will come first though.

Last edited:

CJW

I run factory wheels with 1.5" spacers. I have 37x12.5 nitto trail grapplers. Works great.

BlueBox

One more here. This is with Goodyear duratracs 315/70R17. Used Spidertrax 1.5" spacers. Also if you look you can get "blemished" ones for $79 instead of $99. There was like 1 spot on each were the anodizing wasn't perfect. Worth the 50 bucks it saved me IMO.

ZSuslRG.jpg

MI jeepskate

At Discount tire we strongly advise not going over the reccomended width of the wheel, a 315 will work but i myself didnt go that route because of the horror stories ive encountered and heard about. you run a good risk of folding that tire over and popping it off the bead. same goes for having a wide wheel and narrow tire. i had a friend come to me and try to have us mount 12.5 inch wide tires on 7 inch wide wheels, i said no and told him the risks and he proceded to do the work himself. he flipped his truck 4 times on the highway on and off ramp..... insurance paid for the truck and he was back 2 days after to get bigger wheels. go with a bigger wheel in my PROFESSIONAL opinion

toxicwaste29

At Discount tire we strongly advise not going over the reccomended width of the wheel, a 315 will work but i myself didnt go that route because of the horror stories ive encountered and heard about. you run a good risk of folding that tire over and popping it off the bead. same goes for having a wide wheel and narrow tire. i had a friend come to me and try to have us mount 12.5 inch wide tires on 7 inch wide wheels, i said no and told him the risks and he proceded to do the work himself. he flipped his truck 4 times on the highway on and off ramp..... insurance paid for the truck and he was back 2 days after to get bigger wheels. go with a bigger wheel in my PROFESSIONAL opinion

Thats what I have read and it just seems shaddy mounting a tire recommended for min of 9 or so inches on a 7 in rim and still then having to deal with wheel spacers and all. Seems like the best route is to get the proper wheel width and back spacing. Ill be going atx for sure since they are the only ones I find somewhat appealing.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

Just curious, are you saying a 35"x12.5" wide tire is dangerous on a factory jeep rim?

CJW

I disagree with this. If anything I would think the narrow rim helps hold the bead better. I think the tire "folding" would be caused more by going with a super tall tire (with weak sidewalls) on a small rim....but then again, no one ever runs 40s on a 17 inch rim right??....

Top Bottom